Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Garage ceiling

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  11678 
#1 ·
I need to remove the drywall between two joists in my garage ceiling to make more room for my garage door opener. The joists are 2 x 8's and the length of the opening is 12 feet. I'm not exactly sure of the width between the joists. Keep in mind that the garage ceiling is below the master bedroom. My questions:
1. What to use to cut the drywall even with each joist? A dremel, a saws all, or a drywall hand saw?
2. I'm going to use 2 x 4's to frame the inside of the joists, add insulation, and cover with 5/8" drywall. This should give me about 4" more room for my garage door opener. What's the best way to seal the edges of the drywall where it meets the joists?

Thanks for any help!

#7 ·
All plumbers have sawzalls. Just follow the edge of joist on low speed and it will do a good job. A rotozip in the hands of someone that never used one is a scary thought.

As stated, find a finisher(or you) to at least put one coat of mud on tape and bead.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Big Shoe said:
All plumbers have sawzalls. Just follow the edge of joist on low speed and it will do a good job. A rotozip in the hands of someone that never used one is a scary thought.

As stated, find a finisher(or you) to at least put one coat of mud on tape and bead.

Good luck.
All plumbers have sawzalls and an unwaivering commitment to destroy everything in their path with them. I have never seen a plumber cut a square whole or even one that made sense. Its hack and go baby.. The drywaller will fix it.

#9 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.