FOUR Tapered Edge Drywall - Drywall - Contractor Talk

FOUR Tapered Edge Drywall

Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Builder
Rewards Points: 10

FOUR Tapered Edge Drywall

Lafarge is having great success with the Four Tapered Edge drywall around the world, but when do you think we will see it in the US?

Lafarge is the #3 largest supplier of drywall in the world and they market a product called SYNIA (Google Lafarge Synia for details) which is drywall with all tapered edges.

I would suspect that sheets of Synia cost a bit more, but I would imagine the extra cost would be justified for high and/or large ceilings.

I can't post links yet, but the PDF is available at www lafargeplasterboard.co.uk/SyniaBrochure.pdf at or by simply googling "Lafarge Synia".

Anybody have any inside info on this product?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Butt Expert

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 250

Re: FOUR Tapered Edge Drywall

I think they should work on getting consistent tapered edges on their regular drywall and ensure their rock does not delaminate (sp) before venturing into that around here.

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I agree with that. IF they could get the two edges right for once, maybe then they could move on to improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I really think four tapered edges would be more pain than they would be good. It is harder to run a joint that is tapered against a cut. One of those flat-butts. On a wall longer than 24', you will have that. Not sold on the idea yet. It's not that hard to run a butt joint.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 268

4 tapered edge drywall would change how drywall is hung...some good and some bad..

J
Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
I really think four tapered edges would be more pain than they would be good. It is harder to run a joint that is tapered against a cut. One of those flat-butts. On a wall longer than 24', you will have that. Not sold on the idea yet. It's not that hard to run a butt joint.

I agree.
I think it would create a problem in the angles if you don't have to cut the board back. Butts are not that big a deal to finish with the tools.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #7

Trade: G.C. commrcial residential buildouts as Subcontractor or General
Rewards Points: 10

Might as well order your board engineered for your job and precut to length. How do you take advantage of a product like this without removing one of the edges your going to be paying so much extra for? Waste of time but thats just my opi
Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
Hardhead

Trade: Drywall Hanger

what good is the tapered butt joint if the sheet isn't a 12? you have to cut one end off anyway. and i agree that lafarge needs to work on getting those swaled/bubbled/angled tapers corrected. and the air pockets in the middle of the sheet. and the lousy paper. and the new jersey smell. and stop using crushed granite as gypsum,its heavy as hell and someone who did road construction for years can tell whats been crushed into slurry. lafarge is only the 3rd largest because they bought out whats left of Genstar worldwide. they own quarries,concrete plants etc....who knows what they use for gypsum???

Advertisement