Fire Code? - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Fire Code?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

Fire Code?

Bidding drywall in garage (nightmare job) against a already built home. Garage was built right up against the eave of the home. With the ext. wall he wants to keep as siding, says its DOUBLE LAYERED. Do the same firecodes apply to this. So with 2 layers of siding (the particle board or osb type) can I get away with no rock their since its an exterior wall? If I state on my bill that I'm not liable, am a liable anyway? I would have walked right back out of this job only 3 months ago. Sheesh.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Butt Expert

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Fire Code?

You might want to call the local inspector just to make sure that will pass code.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

You the GC who pulled the permits or some drywall contractor bidding a job at a customers request?

Drywall Contract...

Install drywall in the follwing areas...as per Joe H.O. direction, customer responsible for Permits, Inspections.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Modulars, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 172

I'm a drywall contractor. I'm thinking just stating in my bill that customer is responsible for adding fireproof door and firerock to that wall. Do you think I'd be covered? My wife tells me to just walk away from this one.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

A wife's intuition is pretty valuable. But if you really need the work, I'd consult the Inspector and rid yourself of the liability. And charge an hour for the call.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

Trade: DRYWALL CONTRACTOR/TAPER
Rewards Points: 25

You really have to check with your local city inspector or call the state for the code ,they are different in every state.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Texture View Post
I'm a drywall contractor. I'm thinking just stating in my bill that customer is responsible for adding fireproof door and firerock to that wall. Do you think I'd be covered? My wife tells me to just walk away from this one.
You as the Professional need to look up the code, or get clarification on the code and do what is necessary to comply to it.

If you are unable or unwilling to do the job properly, or deal with the HO, dont take the job.

Advertisement