Finishing Behind Crown Molding - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Finishing Behind Crown Molding

Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Finishing Behind Crown Molding

I'm finishing a a room in a basement with a trayed ceiling which will have crown molding all around both the main celing as well as the tray. Since the wall-to-ceiling joints will be covered by the crown molding, I was wondering if it is necessary to tape and finish these joints. By nature I am opposed to taking short cuts, but since the joints are being covered I'm thinking what the heck. What say you guys?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Heavy Weight Champ

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Finishing Behind Crown Molding

I say, yea, but I would talk to the finish guy first.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Absolutley not. Check your local fire code. In MANY localities where I live, every seam and joint must be taped and finished (any gap wider than 1/8" must be pre-filled before it gets taped). Believe it or not, joint compound is an excellent vapor barrier and will slow a fire considerably before it escapes out of a room and flies up to the next floor. Finish the joints. Even if there is no local code, you put yourself at risk ny not finishing them because if there ever is a fire, they will be looking for someone or something to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

"I was wondering if it is necessary to tape and finish these joints."

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

Check the Code!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...
Rewards Points: 500

I would think at least you should set the tapes in the corners and give a light skim coat. I don't think it's required to make it a finished corner. It's being covered anyway.. Consider it like doing fire taping.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Rewards Points: 2,000

In Commercial, apartment and condo work, I can see the issue of Taping all seams for fire-code purposes.

However, it is not necessary to tape the ceiling corners in order to install crown molding. I say this because I started out in the trades doing drywall and taping in 1986. I now do everything as a G.C. - (taping too) ...including finished carpentry and crownmolding.
It is not an issue and I don't think badly at all, if a taper does not tape the corners of the ceiling. When we 'sub out' our taping....I'll even tell them what they don't have to tape...if it is getting covered (like Crown molding)

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

Yeah, but it's one of those things for no more than it takes since your having other seams taped and tools are out, take the few minutes and do the ceiling. Fire tape it at least so it's covered and has a base laid. I can just imagine "that homeowner" coming down into the job remodel and not seeing mud in all corners then waiting till we're done and saying how much can we take off since you did'nt tape the ceiling corners.

Wont take ya much time to just do it, but I also see the flip side of saving those few extra minutes to do something else.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial
Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually, from a drywall contractor's standpoint I see it your way (IHI)
Seriously: thanks for pointing that out.

What, I meant was: Whatever I am hired to do...I want to do it complete + 10. (+ 10 being = The best job I can do and a little more...if I can) -evidently, that is your point too.
If I were hired to do a 'taping job'...(Which we still are hired to do in our 'Drywall division').....
I would want to do the best job...with no skimping...or even questions possibly asked.. +10.

So..speaking as a licensed GC.....is one thing..

But, from a Sub's P.O.View...I see the point clearly.

I have and would be more inclined to push for 'subs' that do an ABOVE average job.... all of the time. These are the guys I want to do biz with. They put their name on their work.

As I said: Point well taken...

Thanks for the input.

Advertisement