Feds: Chinese Drywall Has To Be Gutted - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Feds: Chinese Drywall Has To Be Gutted

Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Structural Engineer

Trade: Mechanical, Structural
Rewards Points: 500

Feds: Chinese Drywall Has To Be Gutted

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...wall.html?_r=1

"They say electrical wiring, outlets, circuit breakers, fire alarm systems, carbon monoxide alarms, fire sprinklers, gas pipes and drywall must be removed. "

Wow. That's a chunk of work. The local US Gypsum plant in my area is about to close down. They might stay open.

Last edited by Aggie67; 04-02-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: Feds: Chinese Drywall Has To Be Gutted

HO LEE CRAP.If that goes through that is going put a big hurt on the original builders.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

I read awhile back that it was real bad down in Florida some areas where they built those $400,000 cribs and now they have to gut them, wouldn't it be cheaper just to Bulldoze them down, how do they know if the chemicals in the sheetrock hasn't leached into the wood? Hey maybe the Government will open their eyes to the crap coming here from china. JUNK! After they tear out the drywall they should load it on a ship and send it back to them at their cost to ship it

Last edited by Frankawitz; 04-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankawitz For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Cabinet (04-02-2010), MeatBallDryWall (04-04-2010), nEighter (04-02-2010), s.kelly (04-03-2010), Sir Mixalot (04-02-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Structural Engineer

Trade: Mechanical, Structural
Rewards Points: 500

I have a long time customer that processes and sells a bulk chemical used in breakfast cereals and soda pop. They used to get their raw material from Idaho, then closed that mine when the Chinese started flooding the market with it 4 years ago. Tore down the buildings, everything. A year ago they decided to start prepping one of their plants for closure because again, they couldn't sell their product at a worthwhile price.

Fast forward a few months and all of a sudden everyone is realizing that the phosphate from China has the same stench as this drywall, plus radionuceotides, depending on what sample you check. Now the customer is kicking himself for tearing down that mine, and the plant they wanted to close is making more money than ever.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

funny Inez doesn't say exactly what is so harmfull about it? Are we supposed to know already? First i've heard of it.
Typical US Governent...too little, too late
Old 04-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

and along these same lines, maybe we (US GOV) should give grants to everyone living in a home built before 1978 !!!!!!! Get rid of all that harmfull lead paint as well.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642

NBC just announced the Chinese drywall epidemic, mostly in Florida-
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

As usual, it is difficult to protect some buyers from themselves.

There are some specs, but I doubt the buyers of the materials really cared or knew what the standards were. Probably concerned with the price and availability.

I don't know if the drywall could be sold in China, since they protect their people (execute executive that made products that ended up in the deaths of Chinese), but will sell whatever a buyer (usually a marketer or distributor will want at any specification at a low price). If the products came through a U.S. company or manufacturer they would be responsible for the specs since there name is attached to the product and invoice.

China is a much larger market than the U.S. and has greater capacity, so the worst could he siphoned off for export. According to a GM executive, China buys more Buicks than the U.S. (behind Mercedes and BMW in total), so there is a lot of money there for good products.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 04-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpentry/drywall/plaster
Rewards Points: 250

the taxpayer will be footing the bill. this stuff is probably fine. man, is it easy to make americans panic. just ask al gore.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,828

Why stop at that - tear them down! I wouldn't want to ever own the home. Just sawzall the walls into nice square panels and ship them back to were they belong...and make'em pay for it. Who wants to be a guniea pig.

What's really crazy is they can't even seem to get drywall right
what else do we need to worry about?

I'm buying a canary for my coal mine
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
MeatBallDryWall (04-04-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

I cut this out of an article today on Yahoo News:
" But Randy Noel, past president of the Louisiana Home Builders Association, said the Chinese drywall problem has been exaggerated. He called the new guidelines "overkill.""Nobody has come up with a house yet that has caught on fire from the Chinese drywall, no one has come up yet with a house that leaks water or gas because of Chinese drywall," he said.
He has examined numerous homes containing Chinese drywall and found minor problems, he said.
"It's a black soot on top of the copper, brass and silver," he said. "You wipe the stuff off and it looks as good as new."

Maybe Randy should actually move his family into one of these homes?
Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

too bad americans can't afford to push china out of our country. we can't trust anything from china. toys, food, building materials. it's all junk.

America was great when we made everything we need here. now we just consume. it's very sad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ApgarNJ For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (04-08-2010), MeatBallDryWall (04-04-2010), PA woodbutcher (04-03-2010), pinwheel (04-02-2010), PrestigeR&D (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
Dan

if the EPA banned it for use in 1989 here, how can we let products containing the phosphogypsum into our country, doesn't anything get inspected when it's first brought here for sale in our stores?

this will be bad for banks and insurance companies.

it would definitely be easier to bulldoze the houses. the framing could be contaminated.

Radium causes an increased risk for lung cancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApgarNJ For This Useful Post:
BuildersII (04-04-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

You can't push China out because we owe them too much and they might foreclose. - The problem with the products is the dumb buyers that only want a low price for the Chinese rejects.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #15
Dan

looks like a lot of work in florida. I wonder who flips the bill for this, homeowners insurance? if the sulfur smell was able to be detected, wouldn't they have noticed issues when it was first drywalled? I'm glad I never did any jobs with that cheap crap. the Federal government should be paying for this because they are in charge of what gets imported into our country. unless regulations are close to ours, then we'll continue to get dangerous products into the hands of our kids, in our homes etc.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rock View Post
the taxpayer will be footing the bill. this stuff is probably fine. man, is it easy to make americans panic. just ask al gore.
The Chines drywall is not fine there are problems with it, the drywall is offgasing sulphur fumes that smells real bad and is causing copper and other metals to corrode.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
looks like a lot of work in florida. I wonder who flips the bill for this, homeowners insurance? if the sulfur smell was able to be detected, wouldn't they have noticed issues when it was first drywalled? I'm glad I never did any jobs with that cheap crap. the Federal government should be paying for this because they are in charge of what gets imported into our country. unless regulations are close to ours, then we'll continue to get dangerous products into the hands of our kids, in our homes etc.
It is the peoples responsibility that made it and sold it to make sure it complys with our standards, why should the taxpayers get stuck with another bailout?

The companies that made the drywall, sold and imported the drywall should pay for it, not me and the other taxpayers.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
alabamafrog (04-04-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,439

It's not just in Florida either.
The link below shows a map of the US and what states are reporting issues with Chinese drywall.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environme.../USdrywall.pdf

California
Washington
Florida
Louisiana
Texas
Arizona
Wyoming
Missouri
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
North Carolina
Virginia
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
New Jersey
Michigan
Wisconsin
South Dakota
Massachusetts
Nevada
Minnesota
South Carolina
Maine
Illinois
West Virginia
Maryland
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Connecticut
Vermont
Kansas
Delaware

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 70,000 Subscribers and over 11,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #19
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
It is the peoples responsibility that made it and sold it to make sure it complys with our standards, why should the taxpayers get stuck with another bailout?

The companies that made the drywall, sold and imported the drywall should pay for it, not me and the other taxpayers.
yes the companies who imported it should be held liable but don't hold a builder liable for not asking how the product was made how many of us investigate how a material is made when we to a store to buy it.
many of these houses the builders just hired a drywall company to come in and they drywall company bought the cheapest out there thinking drywall is drywall etc.

it's not a bailout. it's the fact that the governments needs to regulate when something NEW comes into our country and how it's made, where it's made and what precautions were used to make it safe. otherwise, keep that crap in china and let it kill those people.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApgarNJ For This Useful Post:
BuildersII (04-04-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,184

The drywall companies that bought the product and the chinese company that made it are the responsible parties. The drywall company because they could have purchased "good" drywall locally but hey they could save pennies a sheet to get from china...more profit for them. China company because they should have tested the raw materials they mined before they processed it for manufacturing.
US gov't has no responsibility here.

Advertisement