Feathering And Flash - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Feathering And Flash

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Taz

Trade: General Contracting :Bathrooms and Kitchens
Rewards Points: 250

Feathering And Flash

I have been asked to do some drywall repair lately - and as much as I do love to do it; we specialize in bathroom and kitchen renovations.
My question is that after I replace drywall and/or fix cracks - after I feather out my drywall compound, even though perfectly smooth, when I paint it I see the flashing of the compound and the fix.............any words of wisdom as I am not totally happy with the outcome even though the ho is......

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Feathering And Flash

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I use a sponge sander to feather out the edges, then a quality primer.

Sometimes you need to prime the whole wall. You can use a lambswool roller which will leave the primer "heavy" then sand it out.

If you want close to perfection, you need to skim the whole wall, prime and paint.

Generaly, I do the whole wall, unless it's a very small repair and the origional paint is available.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Taz

each job i have done i have used thinner joint compound, and thinner layers and they each dry nicely......like you said i do not know what i am doing wrong but i do want to be as close to perfection as possible. i have used pre mix and made my own mix - i like to make my own mix and make it thin so it dries pretty quickly. i think the trick is the primer.........and to feather out the edges as best as possible which i finish with a ten or twelve inch knife.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

I alway's spot prime a repair first, before priming or painting a whole wall. Look at it like this. The existing wall is sealeled with multiple layers of paint. You have to catch up the repaired area to the exisiting wall finish first to keep the repaired area from flashing after painting.
-Paul

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Taz

do u guys like to use the pre mix or make the mud yourself? and when you feather it out and use the big knife do you get the mud to ooze out at the end of the knife or crumble....like i said i dont do this often but i like to do it and i want to do it well.....and then better than that on future jobs.....like this week coming i have some repair work to do as well...............i find it easier to reno a whole kitchen...............come on laugh along with me here!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
I alway's spot prime a repair first, before priming or painting a whole wall. Look at it like this. The existing wall is sealeled with multiple layers of paint. You have to catch up the repaired area to the exisiting wall finish first to keep the repaired area from flashing after painting.
-Paul
X2

You have to build up the mil. or its going to show.

Want to contact us? - Call ~ 765.279.8271
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Taz

it is an artform huh?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Pro

Taz- I have no idea what you're talking about. OOze out? Crumble?

I use a hawk and trowel. I will use a 5" knife to feather out the edges if needed.

I use pre-mix mud for finish coat, add some water and mix. For small fast repair work use finish mud with quick set plaster mixed in. A 50-50 mix will set very fast. You can finish the repair in one coat, no sanding needed.

I agree with the spot priming.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Taz

with the mud on the trowel.....when applying it to wall......the mud sometimes comes out the sides of the knife or do i have too much on my knife?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanian View Post
with the mud on the trowel.....when applying it to wall......the mud sometimes comes out the sides of the knife or do i have too much on my knife?
It takes some practice. That's why pros use a trowel - you can get the maximum amount of mud on fast. If it oozes out the sides, a little too much mud. I try to pick the mud up off the hawk in the middle of the trowel.

If I have a lot to apply, let it ooze, just trowel it out. I should also mention for repair work I often use sandable 90, as you can get more coats on faster.

The quick set plaster trick - you should only mix one hawk full at a time, as it will "go off" on you. Make a donut of finish mud on your hawk, put some water inside the donut, add the quick set to the water, and mix it all together. But due to the plaster in the mix, you can trowel it out smooth. Kind of like finishing concrete - you need to trowel it just before it sets.

Try it, you'll think it's great.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Taz

thanks for the advice i am going to try it today actually.......as far as the trowel....a regular trowel will work? look forward to making it work with a trowel..........great advice............look forward to more.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

And guys laugh at me because I still use a hawk for drywall....

Glad I'm not alone.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanian View Post
thanks for the advice i am going to try it today actually.......as far as the trowel....a regular trowel will work? look forward to making it work with a trowel..........great advice............look forward to more.
As far as trowels go, get a straight one, not the curved kind. I don't know one pro taper that uses those curved trowels. Drywall trowel is slightly larger than a cement trowel.

I'd recommend the best you can get eg. Marshaltown.

Advertisement