Estimating Steel Framing Productivity Rates - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Estimating Steel Framing Productivity Rates

Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

Estimating Steel Framing Productivity Rates

Gentlemen,

I need to bid on a commercial job which is going to involve some steel stud framing. I was wondering if any of you could give me some input on productivity rates. Assuming good experienced steel stud framers:

How many man hours to raise 100ft of wall:

When attaching to an existing load bearing wall?
When wall is standing alone?
Structural partition vs light gauge partition?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andy

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Estimating Steel Framing Productivity Rates

I specialize in steel framing. My partner and I did 100' of wall we built a 20' wall on top of a 8' block wall. We had two lifts all top of the line tools and do top notch work no butcher ****, they were 20 gauge studs with horizontal bracing. There are tons of factors to rember, windows,door ways,deflection track, type of tools for installation. These variables can make or break productivity. Free standing walls are a pain in the ass. ok any more info I midas well bid for you! lol good luck

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Stone View Post
I specialize in steel framing. My partner and I did 100' of wall we built a 20' wall on top of a 8' block wall. We had two lifts all top of the line tools and do top notch work no butcher ****, they were 20 gauge studs with horizontal bracing. There are tons of factors to rember, windows,door ways,deflection track, type of tools for installation. These variables can make or break productivity. Free standing walls are a pain in the ass. ok any more info I midas well bid for you! lol good luck
Marky Stone,

Thanks for the quick reply. Can I just ask you a couple more questions? How many hours did it take you two? How long would this 100ft wall have taken you if the wall was at ground level?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 500

Most important question of all is- how tall is the wall? Framing 100' of 8'tall wall is far easier than framing 100' of 12' tall wall.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
Most important question of all is- how tall is the wall? Framing 100' of 8'tall wall is far easier than framing 100' of 12' tall wall.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for chipping in, on the first floor of the project we have 12' walls, on the second, third and fourth floor of the project there are 10' walls.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy andy View Post
Hi Bob,

Thanks for chipping in, on the first floor of the project we have 12' walls, on the second, third and fourth floor of the project there are 10' walls.

Thanks
For 10' walls, we usually figure around 480sf of wall/day per man, or around 48-50 lf. For 12' walls, we figure on around 400sf per day per man, or around 30-35 lf. That may sound low, but bear in mind that those numbers include the time to layout, set top/bottom tracks, install the studs, and frame typical openings. In reality (assuming you've got alot of wall to put up) the crew is likely to do all the layout first, send a few guys out setting track, and the follow behind setting studs- this makes it look like there's alot more wall going up per day once they're a few days into the job.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

What is your location? Consider a panelized wall system. I have done both stick and panels, depending on the project panels can be quick...provided the panel fabricator knows what they are doing.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #8

Hi Bob and Chris,

Thanks for the reply! Good to know. I really appreciate your help, and this really helps me with an idea of what to bid in at.

Cheers,

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
For 10' walls, we usually figure around 480sf of wall/day per man, or around 48-50 lf. For 12' walls, we figure on around 400sf per day per man, or around 30-35 lf. That may sound low, but bear in mind that those numbers include the time to layout, set top/bottom tracks, install the studs, and frame typical openings. In reality (assuming you've got alot of wall to put up) the crew is likely to do all the layout first, send a few guys out setting track, and the follow behind setting studs- this makes it look like there's alot more wall going up per day once they're a few days into the job.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #9

Sorry for the delay, it took us 8 hours. Keep in mind we are very experienced in metal. Bobs figures sound pretty good for the normal worker if you have a advanced crew that hustles they may triple that pace. On the same note if everyone has no clue and you don't have the tools you DONE! I reccomend a laser,,metal chop box, hilti gun with the bannana clip "fires steel and concrete pins", hilti rock gun to screw studs.. Also check for horizontal bracing most commercial jobs spec it very time consumeing.. goodluck hope i helped
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

I'd also add a plasma cutter to your tool collection along with mini grinders and boxes upon boxes of grinding wheels
Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #11

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help and advice! I'm in Seattle, so I'm sure things might be different in your area, but if you were supplying all the materials, what would you look to pay in labor (the going piece rate that you would pay subs)?

Cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
I'd also add a plasma cutter to your tool collection along with mini grinders and boxes upon boxes of grinding wheels
Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #12

25-50 n hour

Advertisement