Damaged Paper - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Damaged Paper

Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 8

Damaged Paper

My drywall contractor subcontracts out all of his work. Just finished a new house, 400 + sheets, level 3 finish. Hangers were ok, finisher was outstanding.
then the sanders arrived. After they are gone and we are cleaning what they left behind, start to see some burned paper on the walls. They used a PC machine and apparently just polished all surfaces, some harder than others.
The contractor says it will be ok under two coats of paint, and that the painter will take it out with scuff sanding the primer- but he hasn't bothered to come in and look at it himself

Primed, it feels awful. maybe 40% of the field has rough texture.

They are coming to point up next week. I told him again how bad the walls are and he still tried to pass this on to the painter. The painter only intends to do a light scuff for the paint to bond- he didn't put the rough texture on the walls. It takes a lot of effort to knock down the grit
Now the drywall contractor says he will send his sanders back to hand sand the edges that they burned.

The problem is not the edges, its huge areas of field that have the texture of 80 grit paper.
Opinions here- is it possible to sand out this amount of damage or does it need a level 5 finish. It seems like, any place where rough grit is raised, there must be an adjacent void where the paper was torn out

any experience out there with badly burned paper?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 810

Re: Damaged Paper

Roughing up the paper is something you don't do.

Can you post a high res pic?

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Level 3 finish is just about fit for a dog house. I'd plan on using a high build-self leveling primer, skimming walls, or texturing everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry228 View Post
My drywall contractor subcontracts out all of his work. Just finished a new house, 400 + sheets, level 3 finish. Hangers were ok, finisher was outstanding.
then the sanders arrived. After they are gone and we are cleaning what they left behind, start to see some burned paper on the walls. They used a PC machine and apparently just polished all surfaces, some harder than others.
The contractor says it will be ok under two coats of paint, and that the painter will take it out with scuff sanding the primer- but he hasn't bothered to come in and look at it himself

Primed, it feels awful. maybe 40% of the field has rough texture.

They are coming to point up next week. I told him again how bad the walls are and he still tried to pass this on to the painter. The painter only intends to do a light scuff for the paint to bond- he didn't put the rough texture on the walls. It takes a lot of effort to knock down the grit
Now the drywall contractor says he will send his sanders back to hand sand the edges that they burned.

The problem is not the edges, its huge areas of field that have the texture of 80 grit paper.
Opinions here- is it possible to sand out this amount of damage or does it need a level 5 finish. It seems like, any place where rough grit is raised, there must be an adjacent void where the paper was torn out

any experience out there with badly burned paper?
The way It sounds ..Your right. They burnt It up pretty good.!

Two coats of drywall primer/Sealer before color may take care of It. But I doubt It. Trying to L5 over a sanded surface like you've described is going to be tough with an All purpose compound . Onion skins over that will leave scratches like crazy. Best bet If they do onion skin it is to use a Light weight compound , It will leave less scratches .
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
Level 3 finish is just about fit for a dog house. I'd plan on using a high build-self leveling primer, skimming walls, or texturing everything.

There Is NOTHING self leveling about any primer!

It's either level before you prime It or It's not!!
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
Rio (09-06-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,511

Pushing your mistakes onto the next contractor is just a hack move. The painting contractor isn't getting paid to prime, do a hard scuff and prime again.

I'm sure they priced it for a prime, light scuff and a coat or 2 of paint. Why should he do all this extra labor because the sanding guys used 80 grit to speed up their job.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
There Is NOTHING self leveling about any primer!

It's either level before you prime It or It's not!!

Ok.

🙄🙄🙄

Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,108

Painter should have not primed it. If the paper burn was that obvious. Somebody is going to lose some money on this one.

Pass the popcorn. And good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Pushing your mistakes onto the next contractor is just a hack move. The painting contractor isn't getting paid to prime, do a hard scuff and prime again.

I'm sure they priced it for a prime, light scuff and a coat or 2 of paint. Why should he do all this extra labor because the sanding guys used 80 grit to speed up their job.
Absolutely. Just because everyone else tries to schluff off on the painter doesn't make it right, certainly to this extreme. Tell us you haven't paid him. ( a lot of painters don't do primes)

If you are on the west coast, like CA, you may want to sample an orange peel texture. Then again, if that paper bond is too corrupted, you may have a not just a rougher appearance but a lifting problem when it wets.

I never go lower than 100 grit, preferably 120. Chances are those great innovators were laughing up a storm when they were spinning away with the 80. If you can't see this as it is being done there is definitely a problem.

Here's an idea -- talk to your sub about submitting an insurance claim through his trade policy. He'll likely be more inclined to help out.

Shouldn't be paid.

Higher gloss paint will only exaggerate the problem...

Since we haven't seen pics, its hard to get more specific.

Last edited by artinall; 09-05-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Sounds like we are all of the same opinion- this problem is not going away with some sandpaper, certainly not if its in the hands of the same guys that caused the issue.
I will tell the drywall contractor that we need to meet and look at the existing conditions before he just prescribes a fix like this, he has not been to the house since it was sanded.

I am concerned that, if they are successful in knocking down the high, sharp areas, it will still leave voids that must be filled with something- either a second coat of primer or skim.
Ive seen small areas burn before that could be addressed in point up, but never such large areas of damage

I'll try to get some good photos tomorrow, those that i can take with my phone don't show the extent
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Pro

Remember that if you choose to either focus on or avoid a section that light casts across from a window -- the suns' position in the sky will change somewhat with the pass of the seasons.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Remember that if you choose to either focus on or avoid a section that light casts across from a window -- the suns' position in the sky will change somewhat with the pass of the seasons.
Right now, regardless of light I find these by feel. The finish overall looks good, but the rough texture is everywhere- even in the dark closets. It seems like first they need to resolve the gritty texture, then maybe its time to spotlight the walls for point up.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry228 View Post
Right now, regardless of light I find these by feel. The finish overall looks good, but the rough texture is everywhere- even in the dark closets. It seems like first they need to resolve the gritty texture, then maybe its time to spotlight the walls for point up.
I do by feel too. Even when I'm sanding.

Get out the LED or halogen and shine this across the wall to reveal defects in the finished product is usually the quickest.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

I prime the drywall, it raises up all the grain on the paper and then I knock it down smooth with a PC wall sander. Are you saying that after the prime coat raised and hardened the scuffed paper, it couldn't be knocked smooth with a wall sander again?
The Following User Says Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (09-06-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #15

Trade: Plastering
Rewards Points: 6

Thanks for the heads up I have not come across this problem but I now know more about this situation.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #16

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 212

I run into this all the time.

If the "burn" isn't too severe, I will prime and sand afterwards

If the burn is to the point where you have the those tiny coils of paper showing on the face of the boards, I will prime, sand, pull a very tight skim over the affected areas (basically a level 5, and then reprime the affected areas.

Primer will lock down the paper that hasn't been burned/roughed, so you knock off the furred areas more aggressively.

I do my own painting and never had any problems with my final results. (rough, blushing, etc. etc.)

It's really about all you can do without blowing up the budget.

Advertisement