Cursed Pinholes ! - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Cursed Pinholes !

Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #1

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Cursed Pinholes !

has anybody ever found a reliable way to avoid pinholes or bubbles when mudding over painted walls?

I found that if I pretreat the walls with synko precoat I can reduce the number of pinholes alot, but if anyone has a better idea i would love to hear it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cursed Pinholes !

I'm not a drywall guy, but I do my own patching and a little drywall work on my properties, this might not have any relevance to your situation but I noticed when I mix the "mud" with one of those drill mixers I get those pinholes, I'm guessing air bubbles, I find when I hand mix it I don't get as many.

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 500

whip it up w/ a lil palmolive dish washing liquid

CrEaMy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 75

I've found that a reliable way to avoid the pinholes is to do a skim over the surface, wait 30 secs, pull it off tight and then recoat. The bubbles generally only come up after the first pass. I sweep my first coat out to where my polish coat will end up being so following coats won't be as bad. By the time you get to final coat it goes on nice.

D'S
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Brocktologist llc.

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by d's View Post
I've found that a reliable way to avoid the pinholes is to do a skim over the surface, wait 30 secs, pull it off tight and then recoat. The bubbles generally only come up after the first pass. I sweep my first coat out to where my polish coat will end up being so following coats won't be as bad. By the time you get to final coat it goes on nice.

D'S
I found this out by mistake not too long ago but thought I just got lucky. Thanks, I'll have to try that again.