Corner Roller - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Corner Roller

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Trade: General contractor/property manager
Rewards Points: 10

Corner Roller

should I purchase a corner roller? I finish a few basements a year. It appears they cost 130 to 175$. I tape with a banjo and smooth the tape with my fingers and a knife. Would this tool help me make my work better and quicker? Would it be a worthwhile purchase?

Thanks for you input.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Corner Roller

No, in my opinion it wouldn't save you any time. It is more for people who use the flushers, not for people who fill by hand.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #3

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

TBH if you use your cloth corner roller (for applying the mud) when its dry will get your tape almost as tight as a corner roller would, and for the low price is 10-15 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

If you were going to get a roller you might want to go ahead and get a flusher. Taping inside corners is the most time consuming step to taping, IMO. If you go to All-Wall.com they have some cheaper versions of such tools that might be a better buy for someone that does not tape all the time but wants to be faster when they do.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Butt Expert

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 250

I'd spring for the roller and then possibly get the flusher later if need be.
By rolling the tape in, you'll end up with a rill good corner with minimum fuss...

However,
I always giggle when I see a "builder's" drywall work. Maybe by the time you guys finally finish making a mess the HO is just glad you are done even though they are thinking they could have done a better job than that!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Drywall stopper

Trade: drywall stopper
Rewards Points: 75

I agree with Procktologist, also, don't worry about the cost because it'll last for years.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: drywall

Get the roller. It will pay for itself on the first basement.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

when wiping down by hand you can close the banjo enough to where its easy to wipe down with a knife. i would only use a roller if you were folowing it with a angle tool of some sort .
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Want to play a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktologist View Post
I'd spring for the roller and then possibly get the flusher later if need be.
By rolling the tape in, you'll end up with a rill good corner with minimum fuss...

However,
I always giggle when I see a "builder's" drywall work. Maybe by the time you guys finally finish making a mess the HO is just glad you are done even though they are thinking they could have done a better job than that!
Well drywall finishing was the first things I was taught. My boss at the time hired a pro taper sub and gave me to him and said "This is your helper. Teach him everything you know." I would help him on every house. Taping has always been a favorite to me. I have not seen a better taper than my mentor. "Bulider taper" or a taper sub. I am a carpenter and I do everything the same as my taper mentor did when I tape!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Butt Expert

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Well drywall finishing was the first things I was taught. My boss at the time hired a pro taper sub and gave me to him and said "This is your helper. Teach him everything you know." I would help him on every house. Taping has always been a favorite to me. I have not seen a better taper than my mentor. "Bulider taper" or a taper sub. I am a carpenter and I do everything the same as my taper mentor did when I tape!
That's Great, Frank! You are an exception to the rule though.
Shoot, I've hired "cubbies" over the years and after five houses they still can't even spot screws properly, let alone tape and finish a job.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Want to play a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktologist View Post
That's Great, Frank! You are an exception to the rule though.
Shoot, I've hired "cubbies" over the years and after five houses they still can't even spot screws properly, let alone tape and finish a job.
Don't get me started on spoting screws!!! I think thats where everyone starts out and thats when the boss decides to take them out most of the time. Its funny cause we are taping a house right now and I don't know how many times I told those guys and showed those guys how to do it correctly but I just end up doing myself. My A.D.D. keeps me from ever being a sub but if I ever had to do it I would be a taper! You guys rock.... no punn intended.

Advertisement