Corner Finishers - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Corner Finishers

Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #1

Trade: Taper
Rewards Points: 10

Corner Finishers

With the super taper I can control how much mud I need in order to flush with my 3" Columbia corner finisher but with the auto taper I find it doesn't leave enough mud behind the tape to flush very well.

So what I have been doing is after I roll it I run my tube over the tape then I flush it.

Am I not mixing my mud thin enough or is this how its done?

3 in 2 system
1 1/2 quarts of water

Cheers

Last edited by hiphopjam; 08-29-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Profit is not dirty.

Trade: Residential Drywall and Taping
Rewards Points: 268

Re: Corner Finishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopjam View Post
With the super taper I can control how much mud I need in order to flush with my 3" Columbia corner finisher but with the auto taper I find it doesn't leave enough mud behind the tape to flush very well.

So what I have been doing is after I roll it I run my tube over the tape then I flush it.

Am I not mixing my mud thin enough or is this how its done?

3 in 2 system
1 1/2 quarts of water

Cheers
i too had the same problem...i use a columbia taper, and found the same problem...what i found is that if i rolled the corners then flushed, let dry, used the mud runner or can-am tube with a inside corner applicator then flushed it was way better.
Although the taper is good, and fast, if you mix the mud to thin, you will be wearing it. and the tapes will not stick well.

Jay

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper
Rewards Points: 250

It does leave enough mud if you are prefilling any gaps that are 1/8 " and wider . Roll hard - you will get to notice the spots where there just is not enough mud on the tape. Take your roller dip it in some mud and use it to slap some more mud in the areas that you need it. I have found that while flushing it may seem that there is not enough mud but dries and covers the tape. There may be some little bare spots that will need touching up and I catch them while doing screws. My last coat I do with a 3 1/2 " columbia. Sand lightly as the angle heads coat just enough to cover the tape and fill the bevel.

Last edited by taper71; 08-29-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It is helpful to know what others are doing. I don't wait for it to dry. I'm pumping my angles right away. Its just to dam hard to flush without a little extra mud on the tape.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Brocktologist llc.

Trade: drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopjam View Post
I don't wait for it to dry. I'm pumping my angles right away.

Cheers
How's that work with pumping mud over wet tape? Are you picking your corners first? Tell me more.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #6

I run my auto taper, roll the corners, pump the angles and flush, then I knife the three ways. Its one extra step I wish I didn't have too but I don't see any other solution because there is not enough mud to flush easily.

Once I roll the angles I don't have to worry that the tape is not going to stay there, do I ?

Cheers

Last edited by hiphopjam; 08-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper

The tape will stay there as long as there is mud behind the tape. I can also suggest using a 3" tin flusher for tape stage. It will cover the tape better than the angle head , but then it also leaves alot more mud in the corner as well which causes little hair line cracks after it dries. Easy enough to sand out though.

When I first started using angle heads I used to load my tapes with the tube as well. It makes a mess and adds an extra step that I find is not needed. The bazooka does leave enough mud as long as your roller is working properly and the angle head itself is adjusted properly. Just remember that angle heads do not require alot of force to use. In other word do not put strength in it, just place it in the corner and go. After awhile you will know just how much pressure to use, which really isn't alot.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #8

I used to do it that way " tin/finisher" but then I bought the roller and through the tin away.

I found that when I tinned first, the finisher would leave to much mud in the corners creating a lot of Christmas trees to sand out. I've never liked the tin because of the rounded corners it would leave even though there easy to run.

Home sales are starting to see signs of slowing so I felt I needed to change the way I do things and try and do a better job in order to keep my job.

With the finisher only you really can get a nice square corner.

I do know someone who uses a corner finisher that has two settings on her but I don't remember what brand it was .

Best Regards

Last edited by hiphopjam; 08-30-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
drywaller

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

I agree with both of Taper 71's posts for your problem. When rolling you can move a bit of the mud from the centre towards the corners and do a little dab in the corner with the roller to leave a bit more behind. You may even want to lift the end of the tape up when you do this to get the mud underneath then roller it in again.

Advertisement