Constant Calls From DIY Hangers - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Constant Calls From DIY Hangers

Old 10-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 4,848

Constant Calls From DIY Hangers

"I'd do it, just don't have the time to do the taping and finishing ... besides you can probably do it much quicker (implying a drive on cost by total hours)"

Anyone else keep getting these nuisance calls ?

One or two of these kinds of mess ups a long while back, gave me an accurate depiction of what can reasonably be expected of a DIY'r. Poorly seamed. Missed screws. Fractured board. Everything out of whack. Maybe even backed by the same quality framing.

This mentality that they can fractionalize on cost. With my experience they normally add to cost and total effort required.

Last edited by artinall; 10-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (10-14-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 192

Re: Constant Calls From DIY Hangers

Nothing wrong with a guy trying to do work in his home himself. With proper preparation and understanding, there really isn't anything that a guy can't do on his own. Sure it'll take longer, and there'll be more stumbles along the way, but that's to be expected.

On the other hand, it's also normal for someone to attempt a repair or remodel on their own, get exasperated or realize that it's not as time (read: cost) effective as they thought, and call in a professional to finish the job.

I truly don't understand the mentality that seems to prevail on this forum that seeks to disparage the guys who attempt to do their own home repairs. That should be applauded. Many of them will get it done to their satisfaction, and many won't. The ones that won't are probably going to end up calling a contractor to finish the job after they learn that it's not worth their time, or they don't think they have the skill, or whatever their reasoning is.

Advertisement

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Russ in AK For This Useful Post:
CasaKeepers (10-16-2016), hdavis (10-11-2016), KAP (06-19-2018), Metro M & L (10-11-2016), ScipioAfricanus (10-12-2016), Sisyphus (10-20-2016), Time2Fly (02-05-2017), TurnkeyConst (10-11-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ in AK View Post

I truly don't understand the mentality that seems to prevail on this forum that seeks to disparage the guys who attempt to do their own home repairs. That should be applauded. Many of them will get it done to their satisfaction, and many won't. The ones that won't are probably going to end up calling a contractor to finish the job after they learn that it's not worth their time, or they don't think they have the skill, or whatever their reasoning is.
On these type calls, I've noticed that it has been rare that any taping was even attempted.

For those that "won't get it done to their satisfaction" -- is it right that they call a contractor with expectations of a quality end-product when the contractors' work relies on the integrity of the prior process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ in AK View Post
...On the other hand, it's also normal for someone to attempt a repair or remodel on their own, get exasperated or realize that it's not as time (read: cost) effective as they thought, and call in a professional to finish the job.
I've been called out too, on a situation where the homeowner has painted his exterior from stepladder height. On a three story Victorian style structure. Apparently he just didn't have the time to break out the 32 foot extension ladders, starting from top-down like it should be done.

As far as the innocent effort, I agree, but normally find this more the exception.

Most everyone knows how to patch walls, and will tell so. Offhand, I can't recall ever seeing a homeowner who could do it right.

Part of this thread is about how DIY drywallers operate behind a veil, when faced with requesting paid help.

Last edited by artinall; 10-04-2016 at 09:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
EricBrancard (10-04-2016), hdavis (10-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Drywall hung by a non-pro will always cost more to tape than when hung by a pro.
avenge (10-05-2016), Big Shoe (10-14-2016), blacktop (10-05-2016), brhokel606 (10-12-2016), Bummie (01-19-2017), MarkJames (10-05-2016), mikeswoods (10-11-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,251

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
"I'd do it, just don't have the time to do the taping and finishing ... besides you can probably do it much quicker (implying a drive on cost by total hours)"

One or two of these kinds of mess ups a long while back, gave me an accurate depiction of what can reasonably be expected of a DIY'r. Poorly seamed. Missed screws. Fractured board. Everything out of whack. Maybe even backed by the same quality framing.

This mentality that they can fractionalize on cost. With my experience they normally add to cost and total effort required.
It is what it is. If you're interested, have a look and price accordingly. If it turns out to be a 50% pita charge for filling bad outlet cuts or whatever, keep that upcharge to yourself, but tell them it would have been better if you hung it.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,472

I would tell them it would probably cost less if they paid you to hang and tape it than to just tape it. I don't believe that's untrue. With hanging rates around here at least it's not.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post

Am I reading you right?

You have homeowners calling you wanting to hang sheet rock for you ?
Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 720

It's bad enough to have to fix other contractors work. If I was getting calls to fix or finish HO's work I'm attracting the wrong type of clientele.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Designing YourImagination

Trade: Custom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 174

We used to get hammered with calls about the same. We go in and assess knowing that it's a homeowner install. Many times we would pull sheets down and rehang. Ended for us to be a much tighter install and we were more confident in the finished product. This was a little more costly for the homeowner but they didn't complain at all because they realized they were in over their head 9 out of 10 times. The other one just explain the cost is by the hour and cover you and your guys time. Get it done and make a contact if you want that. For us in remodeling it's more important that for those specializing in drywall only.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnkeyConst View Post
..This was a little more costly for the homeowner but they didn't complain at all because they realized they were in over their head 9 out of 10 times. The other one just explain the cost is by the hour and cover you and your guys time. Get it done and make a contact if you want that. For us in remodeling it's more important that for those specializing in drywall only.
Unfortunately there is no way to get this across before they start their project, they'd save overall. It becomes the same learning process time and again, whether they want to pay for it or not.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,120

I can do that on some pretty bad hanging jobs, but it may all get mudded flat-ish.

Lucky for me, I only do stuff like that as part of a larger project.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Pro

The absolute worst hanging job I've ever seen was done by me. The framing was done by someone else. Lots of angles, very cut up, and nothing to screw to in a lot of areas. Even areas that had to be more or less plumb and square (tub/shower, bath vanity,...) weren't.

Thick skimmed the whole thing - nobody sees the awful mess under the paint.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
Drywall Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
The absolute worst hanging job I've ever seen was done by me. The framing was done by someone else. Lots of angles, very cut up, and nothing to screw to in a lot of areas. Even areas that had to be more or less plumb and square (tub/shower, bath vanity,...) weren't.

Thick skimmed the whole thing - nobody sees the awful mess under the paint.
We call that mud framing .
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
artinall (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,950

When I did more remodels, I loved getting those calls. I do them by the hour, I do a good job and it usually would end up with me finishing up the project.

After taping and texture, you have painting, then trim, etc.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
We call that mud framing .
I call it a PITA - worse, it's just giving up and going with what's there instead of fighting it.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Drywall Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I call it a PITA - worse, it's just giving up and going with what's there instead of fighting it.
That's what I tell them! Sheet rock goes with what's there . I can shim and mud frame only to a certain point.
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
hdavis (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,251

Instead of getting distracted by their mentality, be pleasant and focus on your offer. If you're interested, "Hmmmm....ok....hmmm....sure, I can do this for __ or _____). Don't try to read their mind too much.

When folks seem to be projecting their intentions to pay cheap, ignore it. It's not easy. I have a few responses for all those "If I had more time..." comments. "Me, too!" "Yup, that's what makes the world go round." "Oh, you should just find the time since you want to do it yourself." (works especially well when wife is speaking on behalf of busy husband)

Last edited by MarkJames; 10-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-14-2016), Sisyphus (10-20-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,016

Good timing on this thread. I'm going to look at a finish job today. Homeowner hung the bathroom and needs it finished.

I'll bring my mesh and hot mud.
hdavis (10-14-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 04:29 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Good timing on this thread. I'm going to look at a finish job today. Homeowner hung the bathroom and needs it finished.

I'll bring my mesh and hot mud.
HO did a perfect hang job. 5x10 bath. Will knock it out this week.
artinall (10-15-2016), hdavis (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
HO did a perfect hang job. 5x10 bath. Will knock it out this week.
Nothing like making a go of it.

Advertisement