Competitive Rates For A Drywall Crew - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Competitive Rates For A Drywall Crew

Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Florida Certified General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Competitive Rates For A Drywall Crew

I am trying to work up some numbers to charge for a drywall crew. Purely based off of time and materials what is a competitive hourly FL rate for the following:

1. Drywall Hanger
2. Drywall Finisher
3. Drywall punch work

Keep in mind these will be my employees and covered under my payroll and workman’s comp.

Rates from anywhere else in the country would be great also as I am trying to expand out of FL.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs

Re: Competitive Rates For A Drywall Crew

my suggestion is to hire a "journeymen" or "crew leader" (non-union....lol) and put a crew of 2 laboreres under him.
The crew leader getspeice rate (like between 6-7.25 a sheet) a sheet is defined as a 4x12 or ,48 sq ft. area. Now this cost is what I pay the finisher. Than the same goes for the hangers. Here's my problem. With hourly there is no incentive, No rush to get it done. Here's my payment set up with my employees. The "crew leader" gets $6.75 a sheet for the hang. He has 2 workers which he pays hourly (we start them at $7/Hr.)
Now the crew leader knows his total budget before he starts the job and the laborers $$ comes outta his piece rate. So if he can hang 300 sheets in 4 days he'd gross $2700 and when he turns in hours to me I cut his 2 workers the checks. Further more, I tell them If we get any call backs....it's at their own expense.They go back and fix it for free. It's forces them to do it fast but do it right. It is ethical to "charge back" your employees. They do need to be held accountable. I apply that policy to the finishers and it works great. No problems.Good luck

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Florida Certified General Contractor

That sounds like a great plan. My friend who is also a G.C. says that his drywall contractor charges $1.50 a foot per wall to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Here in Maryland, Most piece workers are getting between $7.00-$8.00 a sheet to hang and $2.00-$2.50 a board per coat. and usually $1.50 a board to sand. A full time finisher makes between $15.00-$17.00/hour. I charge the builder $32.00/board if they supply material, $43.00/board if I supply it. Thats to Hang,Tape,Block,Skim,Sand and point up after primer. I also have a clause in my contract that allows the builder to opt for a final point up during the punch out period for an additional $2.00 a board.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KingOfDrywall View Post
my suggestion is to hire a "journeymen" or "crew leader" (non-union....lol) and put a crew of 2 laboreres under him.
The crew leader getspeice rate (like between 6-7.25 a sheet) a sheet is defined as a 4x12 or ,48 sq ft. area. Now this cost is what I pay the finisher. Than the same goes for the hangers. Here's my problem. With hourly there is no incentive, No rush to get it done. Here's my payment set up with my employees. The "crew leader" gets $6.75 a sheet for the hang. He has 2 workers which he pays hourly (we start them at $7/Hr.)
Now the crew leader knows his total budget before he starts the job and the laborers $$ comes outta his piece rate. So if he can hang 300 sheets in 4 days he'd gross $2700 and when he turns in hours to me I cut his 2 workers the checks. Further more, I tell them If we get any call backs....it's at their own expense.They go back and fix it for free. It's forces them to do it fast but do it right. It is ethical to "charge back" your employees. They do need to be held accountable. I apply that policy to the finishers and it works great. No problems.Good luck
Where do ya find empoyees like that? $7 dollars an hour?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Renovations/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Mejico!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Drywall, Plaster,Interior Demolitions,Small Repairs

Well.....those are new recruits. We advance them quick. If they burn out, than drywall is not for them. After 3 months of doing 600 sheets a week they catch on....LMAO. the crew leader still does all the cuts etc. Ultimately he is responsible for the quality. I do have a method to that madness.
They need a job, they got no skill. I explain it will be the toughest 3 months they ever lived,but if they get through it they will be on to better things.After 3 months I bump them up, maybe they can even "split" with another crew leader 50%-%30% the next line of new recruits comes in, work them hard.....and IF they stay......they will advance also. It weeds out the bad ones......we call it BOOT CAMP.....lol
Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder/Framing Co.
Rewards Points: 75

Wish I could find $7.00 hr help. Guys with no knowledge at all think they are worth $10 on the books. And now they are opening a new Wal Mart that is paying 10.75 for overnight help. There goes half of my perspective weeds.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Boy, just reading this thread makes me wince...

I can't imagine paying a guy $7/hr to haul debris, let alone install drywall. Are these guys ex-cons or something?

Are you doing residential occupied homes or strictly commercial or new construction? The reason I ask is that I'm sure you must get some pretty unsavory types that Mrs. Jane Smith probably wouldn't want lingering around her suburban home. Especially since the washout rate is high and these guys are strangers to even you.

I'm too much of a nice guy for my own good. I tend to overpay everyone that works for/with me since I'd rather pay a guy a little more and have him be uber-loyal than underpay him and have him looking for shortcuts and ways to steal from me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Di For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-29-2009), lou5577 (06-05-2009)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #10

Trade: Roofing & Drywall Finishing
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
you must have problems most of the time and turn out poor workmanship
Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #11
Balding quickly

Trade: The big stuff!
Rewards Points: 588

7 bucks an hour is mad cheap, but I can't beleive paying someone 7 bucks a sheet, I usually pay 2 hangers like 8.50. I don't like non-experienced people working on my rock crew. Having good screws is very important, and a decent size building can be left to be scraped in like an hour or less after finishing. I don't pay well at all to begin with either, I make people earn their money, I start people at 9 and either they are gone in a week or they are making 15 in 3 weeks.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Lou

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Rewards Points: 516

tree fitty
Old 06-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #14

Trade: Union Carpenter

37.40 an hour in the envelope another 23 in bennies( pension, annuity,healthcare, and vacation fund)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #15

Trade: drywall

i have been doing high end work here in northwest florida for 17 years and in this area a good drywaller whether hang finish or punch out gets 20-25$ an hour it was strictly 25 until recently when the underbidding began hope this helps
Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I had some guys show up looking for framing and hanging, we are framing it in house, yet these guys keep showing up looking for work, they said they wanted to hang the job.

I asked them if they would do 9' boards stand up for $3.00 a board (I was joking with him), he said tree fiddy, so that must be the going rate.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #17

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Lebbenty-lebben cents per foot, scrapped
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #18

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 25

yeah 7 an hr is sick. no drywaller with any integrity or citizenship what so ever will work for that.. unless there illegal. so by all means, keep lowering the standard.

i should heed my own advice though. on the low end, i just got doing a 150 sheet (8'' sheets) for .17 a sq ( with over .06 in material cost) for tape. needless to say i still feel like ripping the tape off the walls... my bad i guess
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
Drywall Master

Trade: Drywall

Quote:

All I have to say is you are one cheap S.O.B.!! you should try and pull **** like that in California, see what happends to your ass!! Union rates here in California are $37.57 per hour not uncluding annuity, 401k or health care. With all that included the total package is about $55.98. You get what you pay for, so all you jobs must look like royal ****!!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Drywall Master

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Well.....those are new recruits. We advance them quick. If they burn out, than drywall is not for them. After 3 months of doing 600 sheets a week they catch on....LMAO. the crew leader still does all the cuts etc. Ultimately he is responsible for the quality. I do have a method to that madness.
They need a job, they got no skill. I explain it will be the toughest 3 months they ever lived,but if they get through it they will be on to better things.After 3 months I bump them up, maybe they can even "split" with another crew leader 50%-%30% the next line of new recruits comes in, work them hard.....and IF they stay......they will advance also. It weeds out the bad ones......we call it BOOT CAMP.....lol

And you think its funny!! Wow, you are one of those people that I would like to meet, Just to put my fist through your skull. You are just taking advantage of people in a bad position.

Advertisement

Last edited by Elite_Drywall; 06-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.