Chinese DryWall In The News Again - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Chinese DryWall In The News Again

Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Chinese DryWall In The News Again

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,1361297.story

"I've heard of volunteer groups that want to rip out all of the Chinese drywall in homes and replace it," Oder said. "But they can't do it because there's no assurances of their safety while they're taking the drywall out and landfills won't accept the drywall that's removed. So what do you do?"

Oder said the task force also discussed requiring those trying to sell homes disclose known Chinese drywall to buyers, and also make it illegal to lease affected homes. But Oder said the main solution must be federal. He said FEMA has stated it won't help because it's not a natural disaster.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential & Commercial Hanger/Finisher
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Chinese DryWall In The News Again

I think they should ship all that back to the Chinese & let them deal with it. Maybe one day our country will wake up.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeatBallDryWall For This Useful Post:
Dave R (04-02-2010), festerized (04-07-2010), nEighter (04-01-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #3

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 75

I was talking to a bank loan guy the other day and he was telling me that alot of the lending companys now require a drywall inspection on any home build during the period that chinese drywall was used before they will give any loans out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwellkevin View Post
I am sorry to hear that,but it is really right for me to be here and can know the real thoughts of yours.
Hey Jimmy Wonton, Are you willing to take all the blame?

Interesting first post.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Tube Installer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
Hey Jimmy Wonton, Are you willing to take all the blame?

Interesting first post.
Jimmy Wonton? That's the best you got? Pretty weak.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #6

Trade: ceiling and stud drywall partition
Rewards Points: 10

It's the first time I come here and post.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Anyone know how to check or test the drywall?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerized View Post
Anyone know how to check or test the drywall?
On the back of it in large letters it will say CHINA.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Hey check all the pipes and any metal in the house if it's turned Black from say copper color, then you know you have chinese drywall
Yeah US Governemnt needs to take this up since they are the ones who let this to enter Our Country, I have yet to see the chinese make or build anything that was made of Quality. I guess when you keep your People Poor they do not understand what Quality means, cause most chinese live in mud huts and they get $.95 an hour Talk about a bunch of dumb People, The US Government needs to ship all the Bullsh*t Products back to China and Charge them
Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #10

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
Hey check all the pipes and any metal in the house if it's turned Black from say copper color, then you know you have chinese drywall
Yeah US Governemnt needs to take this up since they are the ones who let this to enter Our Country, I have yet to see the chinese make or build anything that was made of Quality. I guess when you keep your People Poor they do not understand what Quality means, cause most chinese live in mud huts and they get $.95 an hour Talk about a bunch of dumb People, The US Government needs to ship all the Bullsh*t Products back to China and Charge them

the one will not be able to understand: 1) why you guys didnt reject these alleged China made drywall when you imported? why those failed to reject these drywall again before it being installed? what i know ( i got my points from those medias also) is that you have been possessed the most complicated quality control system before getting Chinese drywalls. and it is also incontestable that all materials should have been tested by authorized laboratory to be approved by the representative (maybe the Engineer assigned)of the employer (US government?), otherwise they shall not been used even if those drywall were free fo US. 2) China can provide almost all of the products which may be availalbel on the earth with different qualities from OK class to high-end class due to different quality and cost demands from clients. so my question is, what was your guys' demand with Chinese drywall? 3) the one may not be albe to understand why China and so-called poor Chinese have been always the focus of the world?.........
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

Cause their Government is a Dictating Ruler the People are FORCED into what the Government wants them to be, they have No Choices, just over the past 10 years has their Government easied up. as for Quailty I myself AVOID China made products, but since the chinese have stolen or coned companys out of their Product lines and made the products on the CHEAP, cause that is how the chinese Government works, look at how they devalue their currency
that way their exports stay below market prices for other Countries to compete it's impossible and then China will turn around and Loan Money to these same Countries so they can try and turn their economies(USA) around. As for why these Builders and contractors purchased this drywall was there was a shortage at the time, the gypsum companies couldn't put sheetrock out fast enough to keep up with the building that was going on. They believed they were buying Quality Product they got SH*T and now they have to fix it No China should be FINED HEAVY for this! But the thing is that the Chinese KNEW what they were putting in the gypsum and now your gonna blame contractor
The USA needs to crack down on ALL Products coming from China and anything that doesn't meet OUR Standards, Well China should be slapped with a FINE to make their Head spinwad
That's what the problem is with the USA Government these Clowns can't Enforce Laws, they just make New Useless Ones the American People have to Live by. But come November Elections the American People will send the Incumbents Home so we can start with all new Congress and Senate that will look out for America not Speical Interest Groups and countries We owe money to. If I was in charge I would tell China as for the Money the US owes you, "Take a flying F*** at a rolling Donut!" and what Kind of company do you run?

Last edited by Frankawitz; 04-08-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Don

Trade: Renovator/ Builder
Rewards Points: 508

I have 2 clients that moved their shops to china.
i asked him if the product is going to be crap, he got pissed.
he said true a lot of stuff from china is no good, but he said our company is supervised by professionals, hrly wage is slightly less but over head cost is a 1/4 of what it is here. so he said its a good move
OH P.S his company makes all the top name brand of ___________sorry cant say

i also imported from china before, i can tell you this, a really good product good as or better than American made will cost slightly less or same and sometime more by the time it gets to your door step

so when builders are buying drywall at $0.75c a sheet for 4x8, you don't think they got their rock for the drywall from places that they are not suppose to get it from?
next on my list............planting trees for all those material i used
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,544

Ok, I am an electrical contractor, but before I got into all this stuff I was in international trade and had offices in US, Europe, Canada and Taiwan.

I made several trips to China, Hong Kong and Singapore. I had a permanent office in Taiwan. We arranged for manufacture in China and Taiwan for American companies and for the Chinese to enter the US market.

Here's the point, from my own experience:
1) We trusted almost no one
2) We spent an enormous amount of time rectifying patent violations with Chinese manufacturers
3) What you saw as far as samples and limited production runs, was NOT what you got once production started
4) Through our own product testing, at least 60% of products tested failed, and I mean catastrophically(sic)
5) The amount of bribes and payoffs was significant. Along with taking care of everyone's cronies and family members ( its big over there )
6) Out of all the business people we met and did business with, maybe 5% we could actually trust.
7) Most everyone wanted irrevocable letters of credit -- i.e. you got totally screwed if anything happened

What gets me is that we seem to have totally naive government and business people who think that the Chinese are just like us. They are not, their culture and thinking process is not like Westerners.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (04-08-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Tube Installer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
Cause their Government is a Dictating Ruler the People are FORCED into what the Government wants them to be, they have No Choices, just over the past 10 years has their Government easied up. as for Quailty I myself AVOID China made products, but since the chinese have stolen or coned companys out of their Product lines and made the products on the CHEAP, cause that is how the chinese Government works, look at how they devalue their currency
that way their exports stay below market prices for other Countries to compete it's impossible and then China will turn around and Loan Money to these same Countries so they can try and turn their economies(USA) around. As for why these Builders and contractors purchased this drywall was there was a shortage at the time, the gypsum companies couldn't put sheetrock out fast enough to keep up with the building that was going on. They believed they were buying Quality Product they got SH*T and now they have to fix it No China should be FINED HEAVY for this! But the thing is that the Chinese KNEW what they were putting in the gypsum and now your gonna blame contractor
The USA needs to crack down on ALL Products coming from China and anything that doesn't meet OUR Standards, Well China should be slapped with a FINE to make their Head spinwad
That's what the problem is with the USA Government these Clowns can't Enforce Laws, they just make New Useless Ones the American People have to Live by. But come November Elections the American People will send the Incumbents Home so we can start with all new Congress and Senate that will look out for America not Speical Interest Groups and countries We owe money to. If I was in charge I would tell China as for the Money the US owes you, "Take a flying F*** at a rolling Donut!" and what Kind of company do you run?

That's a lot of shrieking about China. I wonder if this guy even realizes that it is a German company who had this product manufactured in China to take advantage of the conditions there, similar to all the American companies who have done the same.

"China should be FINED HEAVY" because Knauf sold junk product to some contractors desperate to keep the housing boom rolling in order to cash in on all the suckers overpaying for McMansions. Good luck with that sir.

The one thing Americans are extremely good at is making poor decisions and then blaming others, such as insisting that the government is the cause of, and the solution to, all of their problems. Pathetic.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #15

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 25

I'm not a fan of Chinese made products myself, but I have to agree with Cletus that the manufacturers should be held liable. They should have been the ones ultimately responsible for ensuring the quality of their products. This drywall could have been made in any other country with the same results. We all know there are a lot of crappy products coming out of China, but I don't get mad at china necessarily when my cordless tools made there crap out, I get made at the manufacturer.

I'm in New Orleans and from where I stand this whole issue has a lot less to do with China than the people the sold the stuff in this country. If you look at all the individual companies that imported and distributed this stuff it reeks of people trying to make a quick buck during a time when drywall in high demand. I would assume that most of these companies are now out of business, and were nothing more than shell companies to protect the importers and manufacturers that should be held ultimately responsible for this mess. I don't want to sound like some conspiracy theorist but I've seen this product first hand, and seen the lawsuits were something like 10-15 companies are listed, all importing drywall.

When the issues with the rock started to become apparent at least one of these companies gave the stuff away, to anyone who would take it. They issued drywall vouchers to the public and they had a warehouse full of the stuff and there was a line of pickups waiting to get their share. I know that everyone is made at china for producing an inferior product, by where is the anger for the companies in the U.S. that distributed this stuff?

Sorry to sound like a raving lunatic on one of my first posts here folks, but I have to deal with this stuff every week and I'm tired of it. I had a house last week that has nearly 300 4x12's waiting to be hung that the HO was given, all made in China. We won't hang it, and to make matters worse, we can't get an answer on how to properly dispose and handle the stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

China supplies the world for many materials and finished product sand has to meet many different specifications. It is up to the importer/exporter to state the specifications since the volume produced does not justify a special run to take care of the U.S. for a month or two with no advance notice.

Just a reference to the volume of production, China makes clay brick that has sold only in China. Many cities in China each use more brick in a year than the entire U.S. does. They have been closing down the old plants for almost 10 years, but the volume is so great, it takes a while to do it and buy the equipment and still supply their internal needs. Granted the brick industry is very much larger than the drywall industry since lightweight construction is not used in China for resale and durability reasons. - There are over 20 cities with metro populations of over 5,000,000 and a lot of the equipment used in manufacturing materials is from the U.S. (especially high-tech and medical).

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.