Bubles In My Compound - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Bubles In My Compound

Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #1

Trade: drywaller
Rewards Points: 10

Bubles In My Compound

been doing this drywall thing for 25yrs. I've tried everywhich way to eliminate bubles in my compound over old finished surfaces as in repair or new into old blends.Anyone have success at this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: Bubles In My Compound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRhino View Post
been doing this drywall thing for 25yrs. I've tried everywhich way to eliminate bubles in my compound over old finished surfaces as in repair or new into old blends.Anyone have success at this?
I've had the same problem for several years. The tiny holes, created by what appears to be water bubbles bursting, only appear when we plaster over certain types of painted walls. When I see them, I wait for the mud to dry and run a thin coat over them.

I thought the problem was because we add about two cups of water to a 5 gallon bucket of mud, and the water does not mix well with the compound. The all-purpose mud has some type of acrylic glue-type substance that may not mix with the water.

Then, I always use several fans for drying. I thought, maybe we were impregnating the walls with air.

I am guessing that new walls suck ALL the water inward. Painted walls cannot absorb 100% of the water inwards, so the tiny pockets of air, on the painted wall, must be forced in the opposite direction.

Someday, I am going to call the manufacturer.

Advertisement

Last edited by pcplumber; 11-08-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 500

A couple tablespoons of dish soap in a five gallon bucket mixed in does wonders to solve the problem. Amazing, but true!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim0282 View Post
A couple tablespoons of dish soap in a five gallon bucket mixed in does wonders to solve the problem. Amazing, but true!
We are plastering some apartments and I will test that theory next week.
Maybe the soap helps the water, from the mud, to penetrate the paint and move in one direction.

We keep a large bottle of dish soap on our trucks for several purposes. When a sewer machine heads gets stuck in roots, we dump the entire bottle down the sewer and it acts as a grease to loosen the head. I learned this trick after paying several thousand dollars to have a backhoe retrieve a stuck head. We also use dish soap when we dig sewers. I put water in the trench and mix it with soap. Last use, is when we dig in Abode soil. We fill a 5-gallon bucket with water and pour soap in the bucket. Every time we dump a shovel of dirt, we lubricate the shovel so the next shovel-full of dirt does not stick to the shovel. And we use it to wash our hands

Thank you very much. I will let you know next week.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Dish spoap works many times, but not always. When it doesn't. I run a thin coat of mud on the wall. let it bubble up a little to see where there will be problems, and then scrape it off, apply a thin coat again, and scrape it off again forcing the compound into the tiny "micro-pores" in the surface. Usually two or three times and the bubbles don't come back. Kind of a pain, but the best way I have found to eliminate bubbles on subsequent coats.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #6

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemike View Post
Dish spoap works many times, but not always. When it doesn't. I run a thin coat of mud on the wall. let it bubble up a little to see where there will be problems, and then scrape it off, apply a thin coat again, and scrape it off again forcing the compound into the tiny "micro-pores" in the surface. Usually two or three times and the bubbles don't come back. Kind of a pain, but the best way I have found to eliminate bubbles on subsequent coats.

The Synko rep told me to scratch the heck out of the painted surfaces, it will add bite and allow the mud to absorb into the wall a little easier.

no matter what the damned bubbles always seem to be there.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

Trade: Taper
Rewards Points: 75

We just mud it... can't get around it....
let the first coat dry then sand it then apply second coat my second coat never has bubbles.....
first coat is thicker and wider then normal....

Dishsoap we use it in cement when I did stuco. It makes the cement lighter, but its illegal cause it also weakens the cement...
Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

I had problems with bubbles too when I did my br. I used soap in it as I usually do. Made me wonder if used to much soap and caused soap bubbles that burst. I also wonder if maybe it is from not working the mud enough to work the air out. Actually, in this case, I think I may have used to much soap/water and maybe got my mud a little too thin. I think the only place I have these bubbles in the br is in the corners.

Advertisement