Automatic Tools Question - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Automatic Tools Question

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

Trade: finishing
Rewards Points: 10

Automatic Tools Question

Ok I have been finishing for 3years solid and off and on in the past, I work alone (kinda like it like that) and finish by hand, I work piece work and usually nothing bigger than 10,000-12,000SQFT (board FT) I can finish if you count it by the end of the job aprox 1200SQFT a day (give or take) I NEED flat boxes!! question is I have never run them so I will be teaching myself to use them, around here tapetech is over the counter stuff, have to order anything else Columbia is top on my list but I would like to hear what everyone else thinks brands pos/neg of them ETC..... Lot of cash to drop just want to get something that will work good and last..
Also I fill with an 8" skim with a 12" should I stick with that in boxes or go with a 10"/12"??? Also handle length Im thinking around 40" ......NEED ADVICE HERE!! Thanks for any help!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Drywall Taper
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Automatic Tools Question

I use a columbia fat boy 10" and a regular columbia 12". I am happy with them. I use the North Star extension handle for them . North Star has the best handles IMO and I can coat 10 ' from the floor.. Boxes are great, learning curve is minimal ,just thin your mud enough that it wont dump out of the box when you turn it side ways and not so thick that you really got to push on it to get the mud to flow nicely. I always wipe after I run the boxes especially where the flat meets the corner.

When you buy a new set you may have to fiddle with the brass blade holder to get the best curve for your finish. My 12"was perfect out of the box, but my 10" I had to put more of a curve on it because it was not putting enough mud on- even at wide open. Hope this helps, boxes will greatly speed up your time and time is money in our profession.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

ive pretty much just used tape tech, im not really impressed with all the newer brands. but then again after using them for 20 plus years they feel the most comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #4

Trade: finishing
Rewards Points: 10

Taper71 I like the idea of a bigger capacity box for fill coat, Ill have to kick that around a bit.......The only thing I dont like about tape tech is they go from 7" box to 10" no 8 anyplace and there is no way Ill go less than 8" for a fill......
Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 150

I use the columbia 10 and 12, I have one regular length and one long handle. If you keep cleaning off your blade as you run the flats, you can all but eliminate any need for fixing the flat by hand. It just takes practise, but it is one of the easiest tools to use.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatruckin View Post
Taper71 I like the idea of a bigger capacity box for fill coat, Ill have to kick that around a bit.......The only thing I dont like about tape tech is they go from 7" box to 10" no 8 anyplace and there is no way Ill go less than 8" for a fill......

why not use a 10 and a 12. I find the extra weight of the high hat boxes to be more of a nuisnace than a benefit . lighter weight equals more speed .
Old 06-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Same here....Columbia 10" fat boy followed by a standard 12". I would recommend if you're buying a set to get a short handle like a 32" for everything 8' and then buy an additional extendable like the northstar for 9' and over. I'm 6'3" so 32 is great for walls and 8' lids and the short length is very menuverable in closets, baths and hallways. If you don't use an angle box yet nows the time, jump right in and start saving time and money.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
owner

Trade: Hanging, Taping, Custom, Repairs, Scrapping
Rewards Points: 75

We use tape tech around here. One of those things. Learned with them so never changed. I use the 7, 10, and then roll the last coat of corner bead and joints with a (good handle & good roller) at the same time. Just like painting. Thin the mud and roll every joint and bead. Then whipe down tight. It may seem to be more work but its not. Goes fast.

Advertisement