Apparently $7 A Sheet Is Good??????????? - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Apparently $7 A Sheet Is Good???????????

Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Apparently $7 A Sheet Is Good???????????

Good lord. I was browsing the net and I came into this constructiondeal.com and there was a part where they said to their readers........
"The going Rate Is"
$7 a sheet to hang
$7 a sheet t0 finish
$4 sq texture ?????????????????????????
Are these people out of their skulls. I emailed them and told them more like $40-65 a sheet material,install,finish,texture
Where are they getting these rediculous numbers????? It said something like"our professional says you should pay".....LMAO
I wrote back and said There is no going rate per say. The going rate people are referring to is what a Drywall Contractor pays his employees.
I pay my workers $7 a sheet, therefore you can consider that the going rate........BUT NO CONTRACTOR IN THE UNITES STATES IS GONNA CHARGE $7 A SHEET !!!!!!!! LMAO. We need to put the Going rate thing to rest once and for all.........

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Apparently $7 A Sheet Is Good???????????

King, post a link to where they mentioned prices, I can't find one.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #3

http://www.constructiondeal.com/howtofind/drywall.html

Guys, this kinda nonsense hurts the industry. Send them an email if you want. I did. Everytime I see this stuf on the internet I email the places.
Since when do we let people who know nothing about the trade tell us what it's worth? UGH! Time for the Mudders To Unite- Take Action Men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Insert title

If I was you, I would find their source in FL (the guy who quoted prices), sounds like he could use some discipline.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Actually there is a going rate. Everyone has one. You have a standard that you add to for unusual things or things that make your job more difficult.

Obviously, the "rate" includes a significant size job. Remodels don't count.

Around here for relatively simple stuff, hang, tape, and texture, 8' ceilings, bull nose corners, the current rate seems to be .30-.36 per sq ft. This is for a contractor and labor only.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #6

You are right there my friend. I have a going rate, he has a going rate, and you have a going rate. I'm just not a fan of "The" going rate.
I am gonna start scouting out these rediculous claims and bring them to the board whenever I come across them. Trust me, it does have an impact on business but we can do something about it. I was on the sight looking to join on as a contractor.......than I read that non sense.
So let's see.....If I sign on as a contractor, and the customer leads they bring to me are expecting to pay $7 a sheet. ??? Get real.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Insert title

King, see if you can find out their window prices or deck prices, I end up at the "contact info " area when I try.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

If you do the math Thom's actually paying less than $7 a sheet for hanging and taping.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #9

They also leave out the cost of materials. If a homeowner takes the advice to
Quote:
... think of your expenses as roughly $18 per sheet of drywall.
they will be in for a big disappointment.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

go here to tell them what you think
http://www.constructiondeal.com/howt...wall-cost.html

Itis the comment section for that particular entry.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KingOfDrywall View Post
I am gonna start scouting out these rediculous claims and bring them to the board whenever I come across them.

We all should, in every trade out there. I would imagine with the membership of this site we could start to make a dent.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #12

There is power in numbers people. I'm considering going into some of these other boards and bringing them here. ContractorTalk........the name says it all.....lol
Well Gentlemen.....On the hitlist is contacting homedepot and lowes management and telling them "NO MORE DAMN QUOTING"
Also these site that like to give "what it should cost you" information.
Once they get 10 different emails things will change. Evertime one of us sneezes........Price goes up this year....lol
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Painting Contractor

I don't know if you guys have checked lately but it looks like they have completely removed that entry.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #14

The gentleman that posted the information contacted me. he was really a nice guy, just misinformed. i told him he could contact me anytime if he needed. i corrected the going rate information
Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KingOfDrywall View Post
The gentleman that posted the information contacted me. he was really a nice guy, just misinformed. i told him he could contact me anytime if he needed. i corrected the going rate information
A success story if I ever heard one! So what is the "going rate" now, $105-$125 a sheet?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
A success story if I ever heard one! So what is the "going rate" now, $105-$125 a sheet?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #17

we really should stay more on top of that stuff. I am gonna start keeping an eye on those things like "going rate". I will let everyone know if I see any more stuff like that. Together maybe we can do something about it. Make no mistake.....he turned out to be a nice guy. He was mis informed. If we consider ourselves professionals.....we need to stay active on these things......we have a professional obligation. I gotta tell ya......the group here seems really informed and It's cool to see state by state how things are done and how they are priced. Time to put my foot down......we control price.....not them.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same Old View Post
If you do the math Thom's actually paying less than $7 a sheet for hanging and taping.
Not where I went to school
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
Flat and Smooth

Trade: Drywall install and finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by house bldr View Post
Not where I went to school
This by the sheet sh!t has got to go. One guy could be talking about an 8 foot sheet and another could be talking 12's. I have always done my prices by the sq ft. By the sheet might be for some one who has no math skills. But this is just my point of view. Skool me if you think Im off track.

Nate
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #20

This paying by the sheet isn't even close in most situations. Even sq. footage.......there are just too many factors. I think the term "going rate" better describes what an employee of a Drywall Company makes.
Lets say you got sq footage and you wanna start pricing based on that.....is the house 20 sheets or 650 sheets of 4x12...I mean the same sq.footage price cannot possibly apply right? you got windows wrapped or unwrapped,texture, no texture, what kind,1/2 on ceiling or 5/8. Any additional walls get 5/8?,doorways wrapped,closets wrapped,what kind of corner bead?,what about material delivery? straight in the garage or stocked room by room, 2 story home? ranch,scaffold work or not? cathedral ceiling, vaulted ceiling, is it a new construction or renovation and framing is not square? hanging 48 or 54" board,,,,,,,wew.....I could go on forever. I say for now on if we are gonna quote squarefootage prices on here we should assume the houses is a nightmare. The DIYers see it as if there 6 sheet bathroom can get hung for $60 ya know. As far as Square footage though-YES- like you said one guy hangs 8's the other 16's......sq footage is way more accurate......but I say without seeing a job it's just too hard to get it down to the dollar. DRYWALL LABOR IS GOING SKY HIGHTHIS YEAR I HEARD??

Advertisement