Any Apla-Tech Tool Users - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Any Apla-Tech Tool Users

Old 10-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall Finishing
Rewards Points: 25

Any Apla-Tech Tool Users

Anyone using the Apla-Tech line of air tools. I seen there video on there website, looks great.Im just looking for an alternative to my mechanical tools.
I just wanted to get any feedback on these tools from guys using them.
THANKS

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Drywall Contractor

Trade: Drywall Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Any Apla-Tech Tool Users

I bought them, then returned them for Tape Tech. They are good tools, don't get me wrong, but I am a one man crew. They're good for bigger crews where the one opperating the tools can stay on the floor. I've almost bought the farm on ten foot stilts dragging the air hose around behind me or in front of me or between my stilts. Too dangerous for a one man. The corner bead coating does not work right if you have corner bead that needs a good bit of mud. I bed my butt joints in with a twelve box, and no matter how I adjusted the mud flow or the air flow the twelve box Apla Tech would not leave any mud. When I called Apla Tech about it, they said the twelve box wasn't made for bedding in but the ten box is what they have used to bed in butt joints. With me that just doesn't cut it. Also for a one man crew such as myself, the setting up and breaking down and cleaning is just too time consuming. All in all would probably be a good for a bigger crew and bigger custome houses (400 board or higher).

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #3

Mudd Dogg

Whould u think a crew of 2 guys would bennifit from these tools?We work residential homes ranging from 1500 to 4000 sq/ft homes. Was the learning curve difficult to use these tools? How were your finall results with these tools ( flats,angles etc) THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Drywall Contractor

Oh yeah definitely. As long as you can have one person on the ground running the tools and another to wipe down behind, you're good to go. And trust me, when first learning to use the tools, you will need someone to wipe down behind the operator. Once you squeeze the handle on the Cannon you have to be walkin or you'll have mud clumped up in globs in your angles. That was one thing I forgot. LOL And also knowing how far before the end of your flat or butt to release the handle and use the rest of the mud coming out. The mud flow doesn't stop immediately after you release the handle on the Cannon. Found that out the hard way when cleaning up the big globs on the floor. Seemed like after watching the video, I forgot everything when I got on the job. The angle in which you hold the Cannon is alot different from regular boxing, but that is easy to get used two. Very fast on angles. You can do butts, flats, angles about as fast as you can walk and if you get the longer Cannon its great for wide open areas such as bdrms, lvgrms, kitch. But get the smallest Cannon tube for small rooms such as closets and the like. It was a bit rough at first because I didn't know about not being able to bed in with the twelve and just getting used to the tools, but once I was comfortable with them, believe you me it was a lot faster, I wasn't happy with them just for the reasons I stated before. But the main reason for the danger aspect. And I really couldn't afford the fines if OSHA saw me on stilts draggin air hose behind, between, and in front of me.

I had the big set up. The 15 gallon. Oh and do not get their angle heads. Use your own if you have them. Apla Techs angle heads didn't leave any mud in the angles. That was another reason why I wasn't pleased with them. I bought the whole shabang. All box sizes, two different angle heads from them, two different size nail spotters, the bead tabs, spray hose and pistol grip spray gun, works awesome by the way. There were a couple of other things, can't think of them off the top of my head right now. All and all I do believe it was about $6000 for the whole set up.
Well I suppose I've rambled on enough.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #5

Mudd Dogg

Just a ???. You stated that the corner bead attachment does not work properly unless the bead itself is but on good. Can u give me more detail on this?? Does it work for 45 degree corner beads? THANKS
Old 11-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
Drywall Contractor

If your bead is too deep on one side,as you know sometimes happens to get bead on straight, the boxes can't handle put out enough mud to fill it. No, they don't work on 45 (splay) bead. The bead tabs attach to the side of the box up by the blade and sticks straight out and non ajustable except for up, for when not in use, and down, for when using. You have to get your 90 degree bead as flat to the rock as possible, and even then the box has a hard time fillin it. Once again another reason I was too happy with them. But on the up side the time you save on your butts, flats, and angles, you have plenty of time to run the bead the old fashioned way.

Last edited by Mudd Dogg; 11-09-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #7

Mudd Dogg

Thanks for all your help. Im from the Toronto area and have never seen anyone using these tools.Im really concidering to purchase. Just wanna make sure before i spend the $$$$. THANKS AGAIN
Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Drywall Contractor

No promlem. Glad I could help.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #9

Mudd Dogg

One more quick ??? i forgot to ask. What size(gallons) air compressor is required to run these tools effeciently.THANKS
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Drywall Contractor

I have and was using a Craftsman 33gal 6hp 150psi electric compressor that worked just fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
love to play in the mud!

Trade: Painting & Drywall
Rewards Points: 10

Just a note, for running the tools for finishing use, just about any compressor will do. I run a little Porter Cable 3hp "pancake" just for the portability. Now, when you get down to texturing with the rig, u cant have one too big! Havent had our tools very long but are loving them so far. Will post more later after our next big job starting later this week.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Drywall

I use aplatech but combined with auto tools. I love their pump and use it for my boxes. I use the cannon for running angles. I prefer boxes for flats except the first stripes on butts. The apla tech coater gives a bigger hump for striping the butts. Boxes are just as fast and more user friendly. Aplatech now has tools that hook to a big airless and pump the mud right through the tool so you don't ever fill up. Keep mud in the bucket and run tools all day with no refill. Haven't tried it yet though. I bought the wrong airless.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #13

Mudd Dogg

When using say a 7" or 10" Apla Tech coater for the 1st coat(fill) on a taperd flat, do u have to make more than one pass in order to get a nice consistent fill. Or is one pass usually enough to fill and leave a nice flat coat of mud.(ready for sanding and skim) THANKS
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
Drywall Contractor

sent you a pm
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
What's a mudder to do?

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd Dogg View Post
I bought them, then returned them for Tape Tech. They are good tools, don't get me wrong, but I am a one man crew. They're good for bigger crews where the one opperating the tools can stay on the floor. I've almost bought the farm on ten foot stilts dragging the air hose around behind me or in front of me or between my stilts. Too dangerous for a one man. The corner bead coating does not work right if you have corner bead that needs a good bit of mud. I bed my butt joints in with a twelve box, and no matter how I adjusted the mud flow or the air flow the twelve box Apla Tech would not leave any mud. When I called Apla Tech about it, they said the twelve box wasn't made for bedding in but the ten box is what they have used to bed in butt joints. With me that just doesn't cut it. Also for a one man crew such as myself, the setting up and breaking down and cleaning is just too time consuming. All in all would probably be a good for a bigger crew and bigger custome houses (400 board or higher).
I had the same experience with the Apla-Tech tools, they're good but you need another man to do the knife work. I have a large set of the Apla-tech tools with the T-Series pump. I have the gun and hose for doing textures also. I'm in the process of selling it all. Brand new the system retailed for about $5500.00. Some of the heads are still new.

However I did find a quick solution to cleanup. Just put a little water in the tank to keep it from drying out and put the cap on it. Then drop your heads into a bucket of water. They're fine like that in between jobs. Eventually the aluminum on the heads will oxidize and become pitted, but it doesn't effect its operation since the other metals at the head are uneffected.

You might choose to clean everything about once a month just to prevent compound buildup.

Last edited by JoeMudder; 06-11-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #16

Trade: Drywall Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd Dogg View Post
mudd dog what up?I know guys that bed with a ten box,I do a 12 for both coats.You can also get the slim line boxes now.I like them alot better.For 10 foot plus ceilings you can use a 5 or 6 foot tube from apla tech.I hardly ever get on stits.I only have a 2 or 3 man crew andmy tools save me alot of time.We dont take any short cuts.We pack all butts and big crack before we tape.We speed set bead then 2 more coats.We take our time anddo it right and still can fin. a 3 level house with 200 board in five or six days.I would not do drywall with out my tools.Tape tech has some good tapers but their corner coaters are crap.Unless they came out with something new.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #17

Trade: Drywall Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvlx View Post
Mudd Dogg

One more quick ??? i forgot to ask. What size(gallons) air compressor is required to run these tools effeciently.THANKS
They said 30 gal 5hp,6scfm.Ihave always used a 22gal,5.5hp,5.1scfm.Now they say you can use a smaller Dewalt that has 15 gal,1.8hp,200 max psi,which puts out 5.4 scfm at 90 psi.It is alot smaller for moving up and down floors.I like it.Just got one for 400 bucks.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Drylining
Rewards Points: 150

I use the Dewalt D55155 to run the Canon. It weighs in at 27Kg which is a bit of a lump to cart around. Senco make a nice little one, the PC1010, but it's not available in the UK, plus the Hz rating is different.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #19

Trade: drywall painting remodeling

apla tech tools are the wave of the future time to catch on........it takes very little to get used to once you got it you'll do more work in less time and effort had my set about 7 years

Last edited by QIC; 01-26-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #20

Trade: Drywall contractor

I have been using the apla-tech boxes for 8 years now and like them.Mechanical boxes killed my back,but now everything is fine.I am a one man crew so it is not easy to use the stilts,so I use a small scaffold.Bought the tape applicator but switched back to tape tech bazooka.I think they are worth the money and would recomend them.

Advertisement