Angle Box Advice - Drywall - Contractor Talk

Angle Box Advice

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 60

Angle Box Advice

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some assistance from the drywaller's... I'm by no stretch of the imagination a pro and will never pretend to be... However, I will do small drywall jobs (like a room or two) on remodel work... It takes me three times as long as a pro, but I've always been okay with that... But, I'm now starting to get the itch to move to actual tools and my first one would be an Angle Box... What I'm hoping for is to find out the learning curve on it... Is it something that takes a lot of time to master or is it a tool that can quickly cut my time finishing corners... Any help would be much appreciated... I'd hate to purchase the tool and all its requirements just to find out its actually taking me more time and frustration because it requires way too much practice.. Thanks in advance...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: drywall junky
Rewards Points: 498

Re: Angle Box Advice

I would do some more research before buying an angle box. I started with an angle box, moved up to a mud runner, and now I use a compound tube and assorted heads. The compound tube is so simple and easy and didn't involve using a pump. Perfect for smaller jobs or whole houses. Check out some of the vids on drywall talk or you tube. Enjoy the journey, future drywall tool whore.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
justanotherdrywaller

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 26

As mnld has said,the tube and flusher is probably your best investment for doing the small jobs.low cost,easy to learn.you would need to be using a anglehead at the taping stage to achieve the best results with the angle box at the finish stage.expensive and a little tougher learning curve.if you're hand taping ,the tube and flusher is the best bet to finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

I agree with all that has been said. You would need (IMO) a pump, angle roller, angle head, angle box, and the poles to use them. That right there is about $800 depending on the brand.

Get a banjo and a flusher. Your speed will be freakn amazing with the addition of just those tools.
Big Shoe (12-18-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
I agree with all that has been said. You would need (IMO) a pump, angle roller, angle head, angle box, and the poles to use them. That right there is about $800 depending on the brand.

Get a banjo and a flusher. Your speed will be freakn amazing with the addition of just those tools.
X2 . I got all the tools to lay mud down. Boxes, many handles, pumps and bazooka . Never use them. Got a banjo and flusher and they are all I need. Easy clean up and cheap compared to the taping set.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 60

Thank you mnld.... Do you have a compound tube you would recommend?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: drywall junky
Rewards Points: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCA View Post
Thank you mnld.... Do you have a compound tube you would recommend?
Blue line tube, columbia corner applicator- with four wheels- columbia three inch flusher or If you're feeling spendy, a 3.5" north star angle head.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mnld For This Useful Post:
BobbyCA (12-17-2014)