Where To Post A Tile Topic? - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Where To Post A Tile Topic?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
New Guy

Rewards Points: 10

Where To Post A Tile Topic?

Is this the right forum to post a ceramic tile question?My question concerns pre-mixed grout.Is it inferior to self-mixed grout?I used it to regrout my shower and weeks later I see cracks in places.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Where To Post A Tile Topic?

I'd have put it in the "Flooring" forum. The flooring experts will probably pick up on it anyway.

As to your post, not sure about being inferior or not but the 2 drawbacks I'm aware of are 1. Pre-mixed costs more 2. You can't alter the consistancy if it appears too wet.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

How big were the grout lines? Sanded or non-sanded grout used? Cracked grout almost always is a result of movement of the tile or more specifically what the tile is attached to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

premixed grouts belong in the same category as the premixed thinsets, that would be "J" for junk!

As Mike stated most of the time cracks in grout lines is caused by movement in the base. You shouldn't use an unsanded grout if the grout lines exceed 1/8". Stick with Custom or Aqua-mix products, been using them for years with excellent results.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldoc
premixed grouts belong in the same category as the premixed thinsets, that would be "J" for junk!

As Mike stated most of the time cracks in grout lines is caused by movement in the base. You shouldn't use an unsanded grout if the grout lines exceed 1/8". Stick with Custom or Aqua-mix products, been using them for years with excellent results.
Thanks.I think it was unsanded grout with some lines exceeding 1/8".
Old 02-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofTexas
Is this the right forum to post a ceramic tile question?My question concerns pre-mixed grout.Is it inferior to self-mixed grout?I used it to regrout my shower and weeks later I see cracks in places.
hello, tile wall grout cracking is it it the corners only? if so thats natural--just caulk the corners,thats a must anyway. if you are experiencing all over than you probaly didn't force enough in the joints. to fix that problem gently with utility or 5 in 1 or grout scraper remove loose grout and regrout not a big deal. now if your durrock is not properly fastened thats another problem. hope this helps. and by the way i like to mix my own grout, you did use unsanded grout for the walls didn't you?

Last edited by pam; 02-27-2005 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add on comment
Old 05-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #7

Trade: Tile & Stone Contracting

While I am in agreement that premixed products are inferior(custom CBP recently stopped manufacturing of these products)
More information would need to be provided to determine why and to give the best way to proceed with doing this repair properly.
A full description of where,what you started with,what you did to prep the area etc.With this information several folks here can give you the proper methods and materials you will need to do a good and lasting repair.
All changes of plane should be caulked and any grout removed from these joints and any others needing repair.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #8

Trade: decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofTexas
Well first let me ask you is it a sanded or unsanded grout? One of the problems could be that you're overwiping your joints if it's sanded. If it's unsanded you probably have too much water added. I recommend to about the consistancy of a brownie batter, however make sure you scratch the top layer of old grout off before you regrout, or it won't last anyway. I highly recommend you use premixed latex grout so as to not mess up the consistancy. Contractors use to only mix it themselves in the olden days when latex additives first came out, however you can still buy them that way at home stores. Any respectable tile wholesaler wont sell it separate.

Advertisement