Vinyle Windows In Cinderblock Openings. - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Vinyle Windows In Cinderblock Openings.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Vinyle Windows In Cinderblock Openings.

Hi all,

I work in a remote rural area of Canada doing a variety of residential and a small amount of commercial Reno and new construction work. (Framing, roofing, siding, drywall, window and door replacements and other repairs.)

Recently, I was asked to install windows in a new commercial cinderblock building. I have installed plenty of windows in wood frame buildings but never in a cinderblock building. The masonry was done by a fellow who lives more than two hours away and he is long gone.

I wonder if someone might be willing to share how to install Vinyl windows in masonry openings. The other thing I thought strange is that this window does not have a brick mold. Instead, it has a nailing fin. I fear that this may be the wrong type of window for this application.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Small time contractor.

Last edited by stickboy1969; 11-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 1,268

Re: Vinyle Windows In Cinderblock Openings.

This site might help. Brick and block is the same principle.
http://www.dalmationwindows.co.uk/ed...how-to-fit.htm

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Depending on how the exterior trim details work out, you could fir the opening with 1x then apply the window with the nailing flange.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,858

Adheasive on the flanges and spray foam, or just spray foam, that will hold that sucker in there nice and tight.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1969 View Post
Hi all,

I work in a remote rural area of Canada doing a variety of residential and a small amount of commercial Reno and new construction work. (Framing, roofing, siding, drywall, window and door replacements and other repairs.)

Recently, I was asked to install windows in a new commercial cinderblock building. I have installed plenty of windows in wood frame buildings but never in a cinderblock building. The masonry was done by a fellow who lives more than two hours away and he is long gone.

I wonder if someone might be willing to share how to install Vinyl windows in masonry openings. The other thing I thought strange is that this window does not have a brick mold. Instead, it has a nailing fin. I fear that this may be the wrong type of window for this application.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Small time contractor.
I always put 2x pt in the opening then the window.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #6

Thanks stewart45 and WNYcarpenter.

The openings are not large enough to accomodate firing them in. The exterior is to be painted with an epoxy paint.

The Vinyle frames and jambs do not come appart. Generaly this type of window is to be fastened to the wood frame by the nail fins then the siding would come over top of them.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #7

Thanks WarnerConstruction, and Framer,

I like the foam idea. Not sure how to dress out the nail fin.

stickboy
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

cut the fins off, set the window inside the opening just beyond the fins. Drill tapcons through the frame inside the balance track on each side. there may already be two holes pre drilled in the frame per side there. shim and adjust by backing out or running in the tapcons. Use an architectural commercial butyl caulk with backer rod if needed to fill the small void between the frame and the masonry. If you attempt to put the nailing fin on top of the block, or even on a face frame which itself is on top of the block. I can guarantee you will eventually have water infiltration at the head. Unless you cut a reglet with a diamond blade and bend up head flashing. One thing you didn't tell us. How close to the rough opening size is the window? The above assumes holdback dimensions within a half inch width and up to 3/4 inch height.

Last edited by A W Smith; 11-30-2009 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to A W Smith For This Useful Post:
stickboy1969 (11-30-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

If it’s a casement style window it has a 1 ˝” nail flange, wrap it in 1x2 or 5/4 x 2 PVC
This way the pvc becomes part of the window, in vinyl siding terms its called “ window surrounds”
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

whats going on the outside of the block? anything?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,494

I put those windows in my place.....If you have the room, frame the opening with 2xpt....nail the fins into those, wrap, maybe picture frame the window, I used cedar, cut out the thickness of the fin from the back of the trim, usually the thickness of the tablesaw blade...cut in head flashing....I also use silicone under entire fin/flange, we have very wet environment....if no room for pt, use idea from AW, but I'd be wary of chopping those off....gl

Advertisement

Tags
masonry , windows