Ungaged Slate Flooring - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Ungaged Slate Flooring

Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

Ungaged Slate Flooring

I'm bidding a job right now on a slate floor. It's an addition to a kitchen, so the old slate was removed and most of it salvaged. The builder wants me to mix in new slate and relay the kitchen floor, that's now about 75 sqft bigger. I had no idea how hard this suff was to get around here. NOBODY stocks it. It's all special order. It's quarried only about 4 hours away in VT.

I've called the quarry and they can ship me some direct. I'm trying to work out a price. Slate is running about $7 a sqft + shipping from the quarry or around $15 sqft ordered from my local masonry supplier.
It's going to be a mud job (wire lath and cement) slate will be set in thinset mortar.
For interior bluestone (re-cut and re-squared by me) I can get around $20-25 sqft .
I'm just tossing this out there, if anyone works in high end, affluent areas, what would you bid for a 200 sqft slate floor?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement