Typical Size Crew & Average # Of Bricks Laid... - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Typical Size Crew & Average # Of Bricks Laid...

Old 09-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Trade: Project manager
Rewards Points: 14

Typical Size Crew & Average # Of Bricks Laid...

Hello Everyone
The company I work for is currently involved with a cost research project with the BIA. We are currently attempting to publish some accurate numbers to assist in job bidding. I understand that EVERY job is different; so coming up with what is considered a "average crew" & "average productivity" is difficult. But, that's what I have been tasked to do. If anyone out there would be willing to either call, email, post, or fax me how many guys are on their crew, and about how many bricks they go thru in an average day, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone would find value in a new RS Means construction estimating book, I could probably arrange the shipping of one for free to anyone willing to spend a minute or two with their 2 cents on this matter. Thank you in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,414

Re: Typical Size Crew & Average # Of Bricks Laid...

I knew a framing crew that could do about a brick of hash a day.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #3

Come on people!!! It would literally take less then a min to help me out on this, and if ANYONE THAT HELPS wants a copy of a book that retails for over a hundred bux, just let me know and I will get one sent to you for free. I realize Im new, but my parent company owns RS Means, and I would not make a claim I couldn't come thru on. Again, thank you to any assistance with this research!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Pro

When do I get my book?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
and I would not make a claim I couldn't come thru on
Of course not, you have two posts!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

A minute or two and 2 cents will not get a reliable cost figure.

Since it is for your client (BIA) it is understandable that you are interested in the number of brick per day. There are other masonry materials that are used in the masonry industry that are use with "brick" (whatever size and shape it may be).

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

That is obvious, and tough to combat. If you know how I can assure anyone what I am not making empty promises here please share. My company email is [email protected]
Please feel free to look up that company and see that it really does own
Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
A minute or two and 2 cents will not get a reliable cost figure.

Since it is for your client (BIA) it is understandable that you are interested in the number of brick per day. There are other masonry materials that are used in the masonry industry that are use with "brick" (whatever size and shape it may be).
I understand that there are MANY FACTORS when it comes to price estimating. I am not attempting to put together a "end it all", "no questions about it" pricing model. I have been tasked to compare the costs of brick veneer to other residential pricing options.
As for the size of brick, if you primarily use say queen size in your area (that's def not the case in the North East), then please state that.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Pro

Are you or are you knot going to send me a book?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 662

Lando, this is probably a good place to get some feedback, but it will take a couple days and a good attitude My take on this given that I'm a stonemason and not a bricklayer...

For a three man crew in the South, two masons and a laborer, average would be 1200 brick a day on basic house veneers. Go up on scaffold and add laborers to keep brick count the same. Work on piers, stairs, etc., reduce brick count by a lot.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
When do I get my book?
I promise I can get books shipped out to the address supplied within a couple days. But first you have to give me an honest answer on-

1). how many on an average crew? Maybe specify what each does? Like, 5 man crew, 2 laying, 2 mixing, 1 general labor bitch or whatever it may be.

2). how many bricks does that crew get down in a day? Also are they mods? Or are queen used mostly in ur area?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanstone View Post
Lando, this is probably a good place to get some feedback, but it will take a couple days and a good attitude My take on this given that I'm a stonemason and not a bricklayer...

For a three man crew in the South, two masons and a laborer, average would be 1200 brick a day on basic house veneers. Go up on scaffold and add laborers to keep brick count the same. Work on piers, stairs, etc., reduce brick count by a lot.
THANK YOU!!! I sent you an email to the address you have posted. Please let me know if you received it.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Are you or are you knot going to send me a book?
Well, your answer was pretty good. I wont be able to use it as a data point, but I guess you did participate. So, if you're serious about getting a book please email me at [email protected] and Ill see what I can do....
Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Hello Everyone
The company I work for is currently involved with a cost research project with the BIA. We are currently attempting to publish some accurate numbers to assist in job bidding. I understand that EVERY job is different; so coming up with what is considered a "average crew" & "average productivity" is difficult. But, that's what I have been tasked to do. If anyone out there would be willing to either call, email, post, or fax me how many guys are on their crew, and about how many bricks they go thru in an average day, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone would find value in a new RS Means construction estimating book, I could probably arrange the shipping of one for free to anyone willing to spend a minute or two with their 2 cents on this matter. Thank you in advance.
Maybe someone else should have been tasked to gather the information you seek? How are numbers thrown out on the Internet going to be legitimate figures used in a calculation book? FMI
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,343

Sorry, but it is against our policy to allow this sort of research here. this site is for contractors to talk with their peers.

Thread closed.

Advertisement