Trim For Waterproofing Membrane Below EIFS. - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Trim For Waterproofing Membrane Below EIFS.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 478

Trim For Waterproofing Membrane Below EIFS.

Anyone know of a product or how to match EIFS over ICF where it meets up to the dimple board?

I used Platon right to the sill plate when we built the walls, as finish grade wasn't known yet. Grade has been done and now they want EIFS over the exposed wall.

Whats the best way to meet up to the Platon fabric. I plan on cutting the platon just above grade and removing the clips so I can get the brown coat on the for the EIFS.

Should I try to trim in a drip edge of some sort, or just leave the platon flapping in the wind?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,140

Re: Trim For Waterproofing Membrane Below EIFS.

It is my understanding that Platon should always have a termination bar at the top. Reasons being,so it does not flap in the breeze but more importantly,so debris does not have an opportunity to get behind it. Platon does manufacture their own termination bars. My local dealer does not stock it so every job I do it is a special order.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Pro

They come in two varieties,this is one.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4444226438.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
They come in two varieties,this is one.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4444226438.htm
Thanks, I guess I will call the ICF supplier (where I got the platon) and ask what they have.

Installation instructions I got were just the clips with the flat strip of the fabric on top, I've used it multiple times, but have never had to go back and remove it for something like this.

Had we had some kind of idea where grade was originally it would have probably saved a lot of hassle.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post
Thanks, I guess I will call the ICF supplier (where I got the platon) and ask what they have.

Installation instructions I got were just the clips with the flat strip of the fabric on top, I've used it multiple times, but have never had to go back and remove it for something like this.

Had we had some kind of idea where grade was originally it would have probably saved a lot of hassle.

Don't forget,when you establish final grade,code mandates soil to slope 6 " in first 10 ' from building. Also,6 " of foundation needs to be exposed on frame buildings and 4 " on masonry buildings. Eighty + % of buildings by me get none of that correct. Inspectors are clueless and buildings suffer from water issues til the cows come home.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post

Don't forget,when you establish final grade,code mandates soil to slope 6 " in first 10 ' from building. Also,6 " of foundation needs to be exposed on frame buildings and 4 " on masonry buildings. Eighty + % of buildings by me get none of that correct. Inspectors are clueless and buildings suffer from water issues til the cows come home.
The grade guy is a good one, I don't mess with any of that stuff, if someone told me one of my walls was leaking and the grade was pointed back at the house I would probably have to laugh a little.

That Platon is good stuff though, it's tougher than hell, better than the ice and water type stuff we used to put over ICF.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
fjn (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Pro

Yeah,I discovered Platon around 2004 and have used it ever since.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,009

Commercial flat roofers wholesalers sell the term bar ...usually cheaper then my Masonry supply chain....

Often I'll buy some smaller amounts from the roofer on the job....

I'd like to see a weather "course" bump out at the transition to the basement stucco to hide some of wall waves... detail at the bottom of the EIFS product panel.

Advertisement