Thin Stone Application. - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Thin Stone Application.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

Thin Stone Application.

Had a discussion on a job today with a G.C, we have some thin veneer stone to install over concrete/cement board, he wants lath and plaster but I don't think it's nessassary over concrete board.
What is your guys preferred method when installing stone over cement/concrete board.

Also the concrete board was install on 2x4s with a gap maybe 12" in between, not a solid flat surface, should I be concerned about this, when I install the stone if there is any sort of bounce due to lack of support behind the board this could and most likely will loosen the freshly installed stone bond.

Last edited by S.U.M; 02-24-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 2,888

Re: Thin Stone Application.

Well, O.C. Cultured Stone, wants lath over CBU if that gives you any insight.

Other manufacturers may have different requirements.

I'd use it.
You don't necessarily have to scratch it first, you can scratch and set as you go.

Personally, I like to just bang out the scratch coat, then I can concentrate on placing units.
I think it sticks better as well, no worries about slippage or sagging.

D.

Advertisement

fb
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

Follow the manufacture's recommendations and you won't have any trouble.

My recollection is that wire is not necessary on cement board, but I am not sure.

Did you say this is interior or exterior?

A lot of guys skip the scratch coat, but I have yet to find documentation from any manufacturer that agrees with omitting the scratch coat.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakzaag View Post
Follow the manufacture's recommendations and you won't have any trouble.

My recollection is that wire is not necessary on cement board, but I am not sure.

Did you say this is interior or exterior?

A lot of guys skip the scratch coat, but I have yet to find documentation from any manufacturer that agrees with omitting the scratch coat.

It is exterior work, I have done a lot of this work before but mostly on existing masonry walls, my main concern is the way the concrete board was installed.

Last edited by S.U.M; 02-24-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,136

If its not a whole lot of sq footage, I would probably tear it off, put on OSB, or some other sheeting depending on what it is, and water proof, lathe and scratch. We've only done manufactured stone over cement board on interior fireplaces up here.
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Chief outhouse engineer

What is the water screen consist of? If you have to add another layer to manage the water, then you are pretty well locked into a wire application.

No offense 6 string, but I would never consider OSB as an upgrade over cement board. I don't think there will be any problem with the cement board flexing if it is hung on 12" spacing.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,456

It still has wood under it. Thinset the joints, waterproof the substrate and then thinset the stone.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakzaag View Post
What is the water screen consist of? If you have to add another layer to manage the water, then you are pretty well locked into a wire application.

No offense 6 string, but I would never consider OSB as an upgrade over cement board. I don't think there will be any problem with the cement board flexing if it is hung on 12" spacing.
You dont think so? I would think nailing lathe to OSB, or similar sheathing like on home exteriors is better than cement board. Obviously you have to put the moisture barriers on it, but I'd rather be able to nail my lathe to OSB before cement board. Cement board, from my experience blows up and doesnt hold nails as well. I cant get my lathe nearly as flat and tight on CB as I can on OSB. Unless I've been doing it wrong lol. The only time we've ever used CB is for interior apps though, and we've always thinset our materials to the board.
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to 6stringmason For This Useful Post:
stonelayer (03-03-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Mason
Rewards Points: 514

I'd prefer plywood of some sort on an exterior rather than CB. Why pay for the CB if your gonna lath over it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick520 For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 626

I only use thinset if I'm going on cement board. I'd imagine acrylic modified mortar would stick well but I KNOW thinset will

But I've only used cement board indoors. 12" spacing should be plenty. I can't see it flexing so long as adequate screws are used
Old 02-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,382

First back up.

The GC wants thin stone over a section of the house, which should have some sort of plywood on it.

I put Illuminati resistant tape on the cement board.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #12
Chief outhouse engineer

My issue with OSB exterior is it becomes vertical mulch when moisture gets to it. Cement Board will not be affected by moisture.

Ya I cover OSB all the time and usually we start with two layers of felt and then wire and scratch. While you can't nail CB very well unless you stay on the studs, it will withstand moisture a lot better. That's why I would stick with the CB. Mud the seams and apply a water barrier.

Its weird that we use the CB inside where it is very unlikely to get wet and then use OSB on the outside where moisture is almost guaranteed to penetrate.

I need to get me some of that tape...
Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor/ Building Envelope Consultant
Rewards Points: 42

If you are installing the stone directly to the CB what are you doing to make the assembly drainable.
The building code requires the assembly to be drainable.
Here is a good document to follow with installation of AMSV.

http://ncma-br.org/pdfs/masterlibrar...2nd%20Prtg.pdf

I do inspections on EIFS, Stucco, and AMSV in 5 states on homes in real estate transactions that are going into a relocation buyout. out of the last 400 buildings I have inspected I have hod only two that almost that were anywhere close to the installation guidelines.
Improperly installed and drained stone veneer is going to make the EIFS problems in this country look like a tiny drop in the bucket.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #14
Chief outhouse engineer

Mr. Parlee is dead on regarding improperly installed thin stone and the like. No one seems to remember that this is basically a hard sponge attached to OSB in wet climates. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,382

I attempted an article as this very issue.

http://www.jbmohlermasonry.com/Mason...-stone-veneer/

and here

http://www.mason-contractor.com/outd...stone-veneers/
Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parlee View Post
If you are installing the stone directly to the CB what are you doing to make the assembly drainable.
The building code requires the assembly to be drainable.
Here is a good document to follow with installation of AMSV.

http://ncma-br.org/pdfs/masterlibrar...2nd%20Prtg.pdf

I do inspections on EIFS, Stucco, and AMSV in 5 states on homes in real estate transactions that are going into a relocation buyout. out of the last 400 buildings I have inspected I have hod only two that almost that were anywhere close to the installation guidelines.
Improperly installed and drained stone veneer is going to make the EIFS problems in this country look like a tiny drop in the bucket.
The assembly would be drainable due to the furring strips that the CB is attached to
Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #17
New Guy

Dom-mas
Installing the veneer directly to the cement board will allow moisture that get into the assembly to come into contact with with the cement board. Fiber cement will delaminate over time and the veneer is only stuck to the outermost layer of the cement board. When this outer layer delaminates the veneer is only adhered to a delaminating layer.
I agree that the water that gets behind the cement board will drain if everything is in place correctly with the furring strips but the furring strips do nothing to drain moisture that is between the veneer and the front face of the cement board.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
Pro

Sure and if water permeates a lathed and scratch wall the scratch coat could crumble even with a rainscreen. The primary purpose of drainage planes is to stop water from permeating the wall assembly and the living space. The furring strips do a great job of that
Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
New Guy

Typically water will penetrate the lath and scratch. The double layer of grade D paper that is behind the lath and scratch is to be the drain plane and will work as long as the installer ran the paper over the foundation to the base of the assembly and lapped the weep screed.
The furring strip type of rainscreen is better. There are some other options for the rainscreen such Keene Driwall http://www.keenebuilding.com/residen...een-020-1.aspx or Gravity Cavity by MTI http://mtidry.com/

any properly applied and drained rainscreen is a step in the right direction.

The OP asked about installing the veneer over the fiber cement without lath and scratch which is a bad idea and does not meet code or the MVMA guidelines

Adhered veneer is really stucco with the masonry veneer adhered to the base or scratch as the finish. The adhered veneer application is addressed in the building codes and various ESR reports for the various products.
ESR documents are part of the code and and state refereng to the ESR documents themselves "where this document and code disagree, this document prevails"

Send me an email and I will email you and article I wrote regarding one of the veneer failures we investigated and its outcome.
At this point we have five of these cases open this year. In our state there is a fifteen statute covering construction defects and the original builder is the one responsible to cover. Most states are ten years.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parlee View Post
The furring strip type of rainscreen is better.

But he also refered to the cement board being nailed @ 12" and the question of flex indicates that there is a void behind the cement board further indicating furring strips are being used. Furring the substrate out from the sheathing is one of the best ways to keep water from penetrating the building envelope. keeping the material from delaminating from the substrate isn't really the purpose of the drainage plane.

Advertisement

Last edited by dom-mas; 03-02-2015 at 02:51 AM.