Testing This Blade - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Testing This Blade

Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Testing This Blade

I stumbled across this blade on Amazon. Im convinced most of the sub $99 blades are made by 1 or 2 companies and are essentially the same blade.

I like the Makita blade at home depot, plus there is a 110 blade at the Honda/Stihl shop I like as well that I swear are the same blade. The Amazon blade looks similar so Ill give it a test go for half the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (12-05-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Stonemason

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 640

Re: Testing This Blade

Did you spring for the gift wrap option?
Christmas is coming...

My experience has also shown that most blades are quite similar these days. Now it appears the different manufacturers are trying to distinguish themselves more by putting fancy swirls, holes, and other designs in the body of the blade... while the diamond segments are fairly similar

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bytor For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (12-05-2014), JBM (12-05-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 3,926

Generally you get what you pay for in a blade. If it's $30 cheaper than the other guys, my guess is less diamond and matrix.
Since I bought the Stihl demo this year, been just running Stihl blades. $110, seem to last well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CJKarl For This Useful Post:
JBM (12-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

I think you may be on to something with that blade. Even if it lasts half as long as a $ 100 + blade you still did a stroke of business,anything more and its icing on the cake .
Old 12-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

I've used "Core Cut" blades in the past with good results, and they were always a legitimate company. Our local ready-mix supplier was a distributor, so I entrusted the brand, and they didn't let us down.

Like most of you, I constantly get harassed by phone by different blade salespeople. My standard response was always that I'd try one for free, and they'd have a customer for years if they sold great blades. This was generally followed by them hanging up on me, which was what I really wanted. Finally, I got a company to "bite", and they actually insisted that I don't pay until I used the blade for 30 days. Ends up the blades were great, fast, smooth cutting, and they last for a LONG time. So I stuck with them. They are a little pricey, like a little under $200 a piece if you by 6 or so at a time, but they out live every other blade I've ever run by miles.

I should not though, they have become a complete PITA with their phone calls though, as in it's there policy to call every month or two and insist you need to buy more, so beware. The blade I use is the middle one, the HD cross-drilled blade:

http://www.ditool.com/diamond-blades/blades.asp?ID=3
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama For This Useful Post:
JBM (12-06-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 618

I've been using Pearl blades for a few years now. A little pricey at about $130 but you get what ya pay for. Bought two Saturday for a scored slab.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

I'd kill for a $130 blade that was decent. $200 for a 12" is typical here and $240 for a $14. I can buy 14" for $70 but they are obviously $70 blades
Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post
I'd kill for a $130 blade that was decent. $200 for a 12" is typical here and $240 for a $14. I can buy 14" for $70 but they are obviously $70 blades
I'll ship them up there and we can split the money, They are regularly $140 for the 14" but if I buy two, he knocks $10 each off. They last really good, especially with water (which we rarely do.) Not so great lasting for asphalt and green concrete, of course nothing will except a blade designed for specifically for such.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Decorative Asphalt Guy

Trade: Decorative Asphalt/Concrete restoration/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 326

I get the same calls.

Just fyi, blade companies sell more in Louisiana than anywhere else. They say by the time rock has tumbled down the Mississippi it is only flint that remains, which is the hardest on blades.

Advertisement