Stone Veneer - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Stone Veneer

Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2

Stone Veneer

Hello,

I poured concrete around my clients' house after removing the existing planters. Now, with the concrete in place there is about 1"-2" gap between the stone veneer and the concrete. My clients want to feel in the gap with the same veneer. Of course they have no idea where the veneer was purchased from. I've asked around but no one has seen such a veneer. If someone has seen it and knows where it can be purchased from, please let me know.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance,
Roddy

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Smarter than the brick...

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 561

Re: Stone Veneer

It's not stone, they're concrete...what we used to call split block. Haven't seen them in years though.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Kniggit For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-19-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Worst case, could probably duplicate with pavers and saw/grinder
The Following User Says Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 10,920

Score each side of some red patio block and snap them with the end of a hammer/block of wood...whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
brickhook (02-17-2015), Kniggit (02-17-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Here in my neck of the woods, they're called "Miami Stone", and were popular in the 60's and 70's. They haven't been made in probably 35 years or so, good luck.

We've done 2 repairs to the same small restaurant with similar veneer over the past few years. (Old people confusing the brake with the accelerator ) I actually made a few batches of them the first time, but it took a lot of experimenting and time, and the color still wasn't right.....
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-19-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
Here in my neck of the woods, they're called "Miami Stone", and were popular in the 60's and 70's. They haven't been made in probably 35 years or so, good luck.

We've done 2 repairs to the same small restaurant with similar veneer over the past few years. (Old people confusing the brake with the accelerator ) I actually made a few batches of them the first time, but it took a lot of experimenting and time, and the color still wasn't right.....
The color is the trickiest part. The closest I have gotten was on some swimming pool edge stone I duplicated. Time and weatger makes that part suck
Old 02-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 9,531

I'd use white Portland instead of gray..... for that bright of red/pink

find a retired mason or look a a 30-40 year old"Polk" city guide that would list all the businesses and their products, usually some motel Six had em.

I'm sure there is Tons and tons somewhere in your local landfill....

Frank Lloyd Wright meet a greedy Concrete block plant owner bastard child... I think they are fugly....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-19-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

I agree that they are ugly, but I have a feeling some of the things we lay in our career is going to be viewed as atrocious by future generations as well.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of the process I used for making this stuff, it was actually pretty fun.

The first set, I got a little carried away with my "homeade air entrainment" and the units never got strong enough. But, the color was dead on.

On my next batch, I learned that I could tip the forms upside down on top of a piece of 1/8" x 2" metal flatstock I had rigged up, after letting the things set for a few hours. They actually split apart perfectly, with only a few breaking or fracturing. I set them outside to cure a few days, and scrubbed the faces with Sureclean to expose the white fractured 3/8" aggregate. Unfortunately, the color on the second batch never turned out right.......

Advertisement