Stone Thresh Hold - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Stone Thresh Hold

Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 530

Stone Thresh Hold

I tore out the front door of the house and had to replace the original thresh hold. It was hard wood but had seen better days and was worn half way through.

I thought the side door had a cement thresh hold so figured this is the front door lets dress it up a tad.

I bought a piece of lime stone and set it in the opening and set the door on that. Yes I set it proper with mortar. I insulated under the door frame and set it up. Caulked inside and out thought everything was great. Looks good I'm very happy.

Only 1 little problem. It convects cold like a bugger. I didn't think it would be a problem. The stone that is. To the point that it condensates water on the inside edge of the stone.

The weather has been really cold. -25C with the wind chill. So now the condensation has frozen. Bad bad bad.

Can I ask what you fine lads would suggest. I am thinking I need to take out the door. Then remove the stone split it length wise and reset it with insulation between the halves.

After that reset the door over the split in the stone.

I never thought that it would conduct cold that bad. I guess its so much more dense over the cement one at the side door.

I have never had a problem with the side door. As always thanks for your help guys.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Re: Stone Thresh Hold

I wouldn't have brought the stone all the way through. I'd use it as a sill, tuck it under the steel threshold (or is there not a steel threshold?) 1/2". Use wood the rest of the way. If the concrete isn't bringing frost through, it's either a lightweight concrete or is protected more than the front door. Concrete and limestone should have about the same properties in terms of density and conductivity

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 530

Re: Stone Thresh Hold

Yes the door has an aluminium threshold No problem there. I will make that adjustment in it. Thanks for the info.