Stone Chimney Repoint - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Stone Chimney Repoint

Old 05-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,838

Stone Chimney Repoint

It's been raining all week so I've been running around doing anything I can.

Loaded the scaffold onto this one today in hopes the sun comes out...no such luck however as I finished, it poured down upon me

I'll give it another shot tomorrow although rain is in the forecast the rest of the week.

What are we, still in April?
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-009a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-010a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-011a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-012a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-013a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-img_2307a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Renaissance Man

Re: Stone Chimney Repoint

This is one of two fireplace stacks on this house...it's cracked up pretty good and we're showing some internal dampness in the structure.

This will be a complete chip out and repoint using a rake out joint finish to match what's there now. It will receive a new crown, some flashing work and a PD treatment upon completion.

I was here years ago and re-lined the other big stack which serves a fireplace and oil furnace.

My brick cart comes in handy transporting my rig to the location on the property...this one is not far, but it'll still carry all the plank in one shot and all the frames in one shot as well...I'll snap some pics on how I do it on the way out.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-017a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-022a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-026a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-016a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-032a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-033a.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Yeah i want to see how you get 3 sections of scaffold on a block buggy...that sounds neat...and helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Renaissance Man

So I'm following the weather forecast and it's nothing but rain, rain, rain and more rain.

It's rained all week and we ain't see the sun in which seems like forever...Tomorrow we're expecting heavy rain so I'm sorta limited to what I can do here.

Anyhoot, after some morning showers, I buzzed out to the rig and set up the back with a ridge hook and a modified ladder jack to catch a couple plank to add some drop protection for a window below. The other little window, I set up a ladder and threw some canvas over it to deflect droppings as I start chipping out.

Not exactly sure what kind of stone this is but I know it's full of quartz and as hard as granite. The pointing and bedding mud is just as hard it seems so this isn't as fast as cutting out our local Mica stone. No big chunks, it's all small pieces at a time. I find in these cases it's just easier to use the small pneumatics at high speed and literally vibrate the joints loose.

I ended up doing most of the face and wrapped the crown in plastic for tomorrow's rain...These type stone don't breathe very well and the chimney internals can wet for some time...matter of fact, I had some areas start weeping water when I cut the joints out.

This will be an easy repoint as it's a rake out joint... just need some sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-034a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-039a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-037a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-035a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-040a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-042a.jpg  

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Renaissance Man

These composite toe Cats aren't as comfortable as my wolves but they'll do until I win a new pair

Lot's of privacy around here...nice little neighborhood.

I added a couple slats to the block cart long ago which gives me more room to haul materials, buckets and so much more...The restored 20 year old jackson barrow isn't looking too bad either...painted it jackson blue, spar varnished the chit out of the mahogany handles and added a run flat tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-043a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-044a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-045a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-028a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-030a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-031a.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (05-05-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

I haven't even been able to work here due to the rain we've been having...it's nuts, it's like 15 straight days it seems and then a week prior to that, the same thing...

Anyhow, it's been chipped out and covered now for days waiting for a nice day to point her up...it was supposed to be sunny today in fact, but never showed.

No matter, I swung out around mid morning and uncovered my wrap and started chipping away at the crown. Got a new air hammer from Amazon...edge series Ingersoll Rand #114GCQ and a couple of chisels and I'm trying them out.

After lunch, I decided to fire up a 5gal bucket of mud and let it sling...at least I ain't getting radiated

Forecast looks good for tomorrow they say then rain Friday and Saturday...WTF
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-046a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-051a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-052a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-053a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-054a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-060a.jpg  

Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
Renaissance Man

Here's that air chisel I'm talking about...pretty nice little unit which harmonically removes super hard mortar...which this sucker is.

I tried goofing around with a 3lb mallet and chisel for a spot I forgot...forget about it, wouldn't budge

Meet Reilly, he's my lunch mate for the day and happens to like tuna with provolone...I happen to agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-img_2335a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-img_2336a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-img_2327a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-img_2329a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-img_2328a.jpg  

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Looks great SS, thats a lot of chippin!
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-11-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 86

That's a ton of work. Bummer about the rain. It looks great all patched up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #10

Trade: Paving and Excavating
Rewards Points: 22

Nice looking site

Sweet tools and last but not least Cute puppy
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paving570 View Post
Nice looking site

Sweet tools and last but not least Cute puppy
That cute little puppy saw a chipmunk scurry into the garage today...he literally tore it apart looking for that rascal. Moving bags of mulch with his teeth and big rubbermaid bins were no match for Reilly...he wouldn't listen to me at all, got it cornered but couldn't catch him.

Anyhow no rain today so I pointed up the front and left side down to grade...heavy thunderstorms predicted tomorrow and Saturday however so this will probably drag into next week since I have flashing, caulking and a siloxane treatment still to come.

Moist curing the backside...you can see the quartz doesn't absorb too much water.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-058a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-066a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-065a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-064a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-067a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-063a.jpg  

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Pro

Looking good SS
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #13
Renaissance Man

I only had from the roofline down on the corbell side to finish up the pointing so I shot out early today because heavy rain was expected at noon

Thankfully I set up tarp above because it spitted all morning once I made the mud...very risky move, but I'm sick of this friggin rain cloud that been sitting on us forever now.

All the pointing was in place by 9:30 am and scratched out by 11...the heavier rain came right about noon like they said and it stayed all day till about 5pm...just got cleaned up in time but I still got soaked.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-073a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-071a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-072a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-069a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-070a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-img_2330a.jpg  

Old 05-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Pro

Not a terrible way to end out a Friday, you got wet but you got it done
Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #15
Renaissance Man

Since it didn't rain today, I shot out to the job to play catch up. Still had flashing and caulk work to do so I figured i'd take advantage of some sun. Not without mention, heavy boomers are expected this afternoon accompanied by strong winds and possible hail...I suppose it's just May showers that'll bring June flowers

Nuff said, I had to sawcut the backside due to some nitwit who used an outward bend of some aluminum and sealed it to the chimney with muck. Not a very good junction, so I bent up a counter flash which was placed into my reglet full of black silicone. Painted up the flashing as well since it was starting to wear off in spots and looked like chit.

Then I grabbed some Tremco Dymeric 240 FC and caulked a nice bead along the hardi plank siding on both sides...nice early day it was.

Love the weathervane here, what a great sport!
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-074a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-075a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-077a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-080a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-082a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-083a.jpg  

Old 05-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
Renaissance Man

I didn't tell ya we have a NFL quarterback living next door...I ran into his labradoodle today, thankfully not with my truck, but rather my hand in his mouth viscous sucker he his

Anyhow, here's that dymeric spatula work I did on the sides...much better than before I'll say, nice, clean and uniform. The clay color is a fairly decent match as well.

My cart does come in handy...easily carries 6 to 8 buckets full of tools right to the back of the truck for easy loading.

I'll show how it hauls plank and scaffolding when I brake this rig down on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-084a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-085a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-086a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-088a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-087a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-093a.jpg  

dom-mas (05-14-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #17
Renaissance Man

Well the sun came out for the last day here but it was windy as hell...all my tarps were blowing, the furniture and grill cover went flying, a big carpet at the side door took a sail and I had to spray a waterproofer on this whole thing...just can't win I tell ya.

No joking aside, applying a sealer in high winds suck...you gotta crank down the pressure and fine stream it so you're not waterproofing the whole house and making a mess out of everything.

No matter, It'll take about an hour to apply two saturating coats and then I go back and clean down any overspray and clean any nearby windows.

Even after making a hellacious mess during this project, I kept things clean and in order. No killing of any plants or shrubs so they wore bucket helmets most of the way.

Hey whattaya know...rain the next two days is coming followed two sunny days, followed by four more rainy days...is NASA messing with the clouds or something

Here's that cart in action Dom...a perfect fulcrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-094a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-095a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-096a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-097a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-101a.jpg  

Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-108a.jpg  

dom-mas (05-18-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
Renaissance Man

Finished product...nice helo!
Attached Thumbnails
Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-112a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-111a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-119a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-121a.jpg   Stone chimney repoint-conroy-chimney-109a.jpg  

Attached Images

dom-mas (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
Here's that air chisel I'm talking about...pretty nice little unit which harmonically removes super hard mortar...which this sucker is.
Late to the party...

Nice job.

You're gonna love that new gun, especially that quick connect, no more pinches or blood blisters when trying to guide the chisel.

You'll be buying them for all your guns!

D.

Advertisement

fb
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond D. For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-18-2016)