Pouring Over Existing Decent Slab - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Pouring Over Existing Decent Slab

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Trade: Landscaping

Pouring Over Existing Decent Slab

I have a 15 x 20 foot garage floor poured about 12 years ago. It isn't in bad shape it just wasn't poured smooth and I'd also like a drain on it. I'd like to add 3 foot to the front also. It has one hairline crack on it but that's it. Could I rough the surface up and pour 3 inches over the existing slab and pour the new part 5 inches thick?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,672

Re: Pouring Over Existing Decent Slab

Enclosed garage... Go ahead, you don't need to rough anything up since heaving is not a concern. If you want Concrete Bonding Adhesive to the existing floor, other than that the slab is not going anywhere.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Ok thanks man. Since the front of the new slab will only be covered with stone up to it level should I dig down 2 or 3 feet to avoid lifting in the winter?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 490

Tear it out and start fresh or you will have problems. Any cracks in the existing slab will telegraph up thru the new slab.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Even if I use the fiber mesh 4000 psi?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,616

A Concrete contractor that I know bought an old building to use as a mechanic and storage shop for their equipment and did just that since the mechanic wanted a smooth floor instead of the pitted, cracked and uneven floor that was in there.

I believe their pour was 4 inches right over the top and they drive heavy trucks (semis) on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
http://penncoatinc.com/

Trade: Painting / Epoxy Flooring / Polished Concrete
Rewards Points: 706

make sure the existing concrete is sealed. dump some water on the surface and see if it beads up. If it does, then it's sealed. If it gets absorbed in the concrete, then whatever you top it with will likely dehydrate. And if the new pour dehydrates, then it likely won't bond very well, and you could hear some hollow spots down the road. Or you could get some alligatoring in the finish.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,179

Option B: Polish/ grind old surface, caulk crack. Rent a terrazzo grinder and edger. Use the welder outlet or electric dryer plug in?

Leave old crete, drill (as far out of plumb as practical) in 1/4" holes with hammer drill, install a U-shaped, galvanized 1/4" wire 'Staple' between two holes that the is about 1.5" above the old floor to mechanically bond the slabs together.

Two pieces of material fastened together are twice as strong in bending as two pieces just laying on one another....

At some point it is cheaper to demo the old crete, dig down the rock/ sand base, (for max load capacity, at least 2 x concrete thickness for base material) for the replacement products.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up tearing it all out and it is kinda muddy under and was actually frost under the first 4 feet. I'm thinking I'm going to dig down to solid ground then add Maybe 6 inches of 3a modified with a power tamper then my 2b then concrete. Also dig down around the edges about 2 foot for frost.
Attached Thumbnails
Pouring over existing decent slab-20180119_173714_1516466792573.jpg  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennCoat View Post
make sure the existing concrete is sealed. dump some water on the surface and see if it beads up. If it does, then it's sealed. If it gets absorbed in the concrete, then whatever you top it with will likely dehydrate. And if the new pour dehydrates, then it likely won't bond very well, and you could hear some hollow spots down the road. Or you could get some alligatoring in the finish.
nope
Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 9,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stultzlawncare View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up tearing it all out and it is kinda muddy under and was actually frost under the first 4 feet. I'm thinking I'm going to dig down to solid ground then add Maybe 6 inches of 3a modified with a power tamper then my 2b then concrete. Also dig down around the edges about 2 foot for frost.

2 " High density foam made specifically for placement under concrete would give you better results. It would work as a vapor barrier and insulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 6,222

Is there a frost wall there?

Advertisement