Oval Liner - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Oval Liner

Old 07-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,830

Oval Liner

So I got that job for the liner scheduled and it should be delivered tomorrow or Thursday and I'll install it soon after.

Figured I'd set up the rig to give me easy access being I'm doing some internal brick and joint repair and a new stucco job to the outside as well.

The lining system is being custom made and being shipped in two 16" ft lengths, a dripless coupling, a short body tee from oval to round, a new stainless chase cover and and matching rain cap.

The liner itself will be a core 5" round which then gets put through rollers to an eventual 4" x 7.7 inch oval shape which hopefully makes it down this 4 1/2" unlined chimney. The BTU input for the boiler is 127,000, this liner sizing and config will allow for 135,000 so all is good if we can get'r down.
Attached Thumbnails
oval liner-poulicci-chimney-016a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-017a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-020a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-023a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-021a.jpg  

oval liner-poulicci-chimney-011a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-006a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-009a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-12-2017), hdavis (07-12-2017), J.C. (07-12-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Trade: Handy Man
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Oval Liner

We did a job similar to this. The liner we installed was about 20 ft. though. Where did you get your liner kit?

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,076

Look like a pretty straight shot down, good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
superseal (07-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark37 View Post
We did a job similar to this. The liner we installed was about 20 ft. though. Where did you get your liner kit?

S.S. is pretty resourceful,he will fill you in. I deal with a company called Copperfield Chimney supply. Good service from them.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

Trade: Handy Man
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
S.S. is pretty resourceful,he will fill you in. I deal with a company called Copperfield Chimney supply. Good service from them.
Yea I had a lot of questions on my first install. I worked with Rockford Chimney Supply and would definitely do so again.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark37 View Post
Olympia from Scranton, PA...awesome folks who have their own custom shop and next day delivery on most items...some of the best pricing as well.

http://www.olympiachimney.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Renaissance Man

The liner came in today and unlike my round systems, they ship them straight in up to 20ft lengths with no drip couplers ...no coiling once they're ovalized.

In the meantime, I got the inside brickwork cleaned and grouted as far as I could go, new stucco on the outside and a fresh topping to level off the top course so I can bond my chase cover to it and it'll sit flat.

Since I had the components in hand today, the only problem I'm seeing is the coupler is definitely a tight fit. I'm going to have to open this chimney up about half way down so I can join the two lengths of liner which means an incision inside the house. I've got it scheduled for Saturday and since it's a summer/winter hookup supply hot potable water to the house I got to get'r done in a timely fashion.

I'm painting the flashing while I'm up here and will also paint the stucco to match the house once it's cured out enough.

I'm trying out some new bonding agent in the grout and stucco mix. I added grace mini fiber to all the mud since I didn't lath it up...to risky for this small chimney.

Here's a shot of of how I plan to configure the install...Olympia did a fine job building what I needed to make this install as easy as possible. Note the custom short body tee which will make it less work busting out the bottom thimble area so i can fit it in and the use of numerous internal and external band clamps for easy assembly. The take off on the tee is round which matches the existing boiler... the chase cover collar matches my liner with a band clamp attachment as well as the rain cap.
Attached Thumbnails
oval liner-poulicci-chimney-024a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-026a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-030a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-032a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-034a.jpg  

oval liner-poulicci-chimney-037a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-040a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-042a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-043a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-044a.jpg  

oval liner-poulicci-chimney-045a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-048a.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-14-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 982

Great gig! Wouldn't have done it better than that. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to lge77 For This Useful Post:
superseal (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
Renaissance Man

I burned up my old $1,000.00 trusty Milwaukee heavy duty, spline drive, rotary hammer today whilst chiseling through this granite foundation trying to free up room for this chimney liner.

Definitely the liner from hell this one was as I had to work around the boiler which was jam packed with copper pipe, raised up on a 12" concrete base... which made me smack my head on the joists above, all the while performing like a contortionist trying to get behind it. Finally after 2 hours of lugging a 20 lb chipping hammer while bent in half, wearing a respirator, sweating profusely while covered in black soot, I was opened up to where I had to be. Next up was trying to send a test (dummy) liner down the stack to ensure the new liner will fit all the way down.

Well of course it doesn't, so I had to transfer some measurements and chop a hole in the chimney to the interior living room area after removing paneling and some trim, then figure out what the blockage was.

Turns out since this section of the home is 1870's, it was an old, unused thimble for a wood burning stove that had been bricked up and paneled over. It was protruding into the chimney a good 2" and when removed, the liner made it all the way down.
After reaming the entire flue area with the test liner up and down about ten times, it was ready to receive the new liner.

Like I said, this liner comes in two pieces and is joined with a dripless stainless steel connector. The bottom receives the tee fitting, everything is connected with SS band clamps and the wall is mortared back up to secure the tee. The smoke pipe to the boiler is then re-installed and service can resume. The top cap is usually easy...all band clamps for quick connections and in this case, a chase cover for superior crown protection.
Attached Thumbnails
oval liner-poulicci-chimney-051a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-053a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-052a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-054a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-055a.jpg  

oval liner-poulicci-chimney-057a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-056a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-065a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-064a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-061a.jpg  

oval liner-poulicci-chimney-058a.jpg   oval liner-poulicci-chimney-062a.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
ECS_Ecentric (07-16-2017), fjn (07-16-2017)