Mud Monster Mixer - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Mud Monster Mixer

Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,910

Mud Monster Mixer

I bought one if these on impulse last fall, so now I'll be trying it out.

https://youtu.be/c4jxLjnkLt0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-13-2019), stuart45 (07-13-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,126

Re: Mud Monster Mixer

I dont have that one but the one pictured below and love it, I have been mixing mortar and concrete in buckets for over 25 years and wish I would’ve had this a long time ago

I like the one I have because that black part is actually a handle that rotates so you can grab the bit while it’s spinning and have good control of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-14-2019), hdavis (07-12-2019), stuart45 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Pro

Having that to help guide would be good. Hopefully it's very controllable without it. I'm going to try it with a couple different drills, but I'm hoping it will work with my Collomix Xo9.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Windycity (07-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Having that to help guide would be good. Hopefully it's very controllable without it. I'm going to try it with a couple different drills, but I'm hoping it will work with my Collomix Xo9.

The augers work really well and are easy on the drills

They are nice because they lift the material from the bottom of the bucket up to the top

After using it for several months now i will never go back to a paddle to mix mortar

The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
Pro

I usually only do a bag or two of mortar, so mixing us no big deal. Fibered stucco, mixing is a big, big deal.

I'll see what setup works best with the mud monster for the stucco, and go from there. That's the most finicky, so the same setup should be good for everything else I do.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 1,198

Can't see a similar type in our local merchants. Ours look a lot weaker, like they are designed for plaster. Would be really useful on the present job, where most of the lime is done in the mixer, but the pointing for the arches is a much finer sand and only a bucketful is needed.
Being NHL it needs to be knocked up for around 20 minutes, so it does get a bit tedious.
How much do they cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Pro

Mine was around $100 shipped, but i will say that the quality is good and its heavy duty

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
fjn (07-14-2019), hdavis (07-13-2019), stuart45 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I dont have that one but the one pictured below and love it, I have been mixing mortar and concrete in buckets for over 25 years and wish I would’ve had this a long time ago

I like the one I have because that black part is actually a handle that rotates so you can grab the bit while it’s spinning and have good control of it

I recently purchased that one, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the videos I have seen convinced me to get one.

www.gebcon.com
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Pro

Here is my setup, i use it almost everyday to mix mortar and today i mixed 12 bags of concrete

What i like about it is that it doesn’t leave dry crap at the bottom of the bucket and it does a nice job of cleaning the sides of the bucket as well unlike paddle bits. Plus it doesn’t matter if you are mixing dry pack or wet soup, it doesn’t stress the drill at all, you can mix completely dry mix

When i was getting used to the auger i was taping the bottom of the bucket at an angle and it busted through the bottom of the bucket and bored straight into the dirt below LOL

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
asevereid (07-14-2019), fjn (07-14-2019), hdavis (07-14-2019), stuart45 (07-14-2019), tgeb (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,830

After all these years,I just started mixing mud in a bucket 2 years ago.

This is the paddle I use,I also have good luck with it,meaning cleans sides + no dry material on bottom (although I do add some water initially to bucket) I use a Milwaukee hole Hawg on low speed. With the 4 blades I do not get that hopping and shaking like a 2 blade paddle.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...4aAvG_EALw_wcB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-14-2019), stuart45 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I usually only do a bag or two of mortar, so mixing us no big deal. Fibered stucco, mixing is a big, big deal.

I'll see what setup works best with the mud monster for the stucco, and go from there. That's the most finicky, so the same setup should be good for everything else I do.

I have been a fan of fibered stucco for many, many moons. I was surprised to watch a video from the stucco / plaster guru Kirk Giordano who said it is not needed. I still like it though.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post

This is the paddle I use,I also have good luck with it,meaning cleans sides + no dry material on bottom (although I do add some water initially to bucket) I use a Milwaukee hole Hawg on low speed. With the 4 blades I do not get that hopping and shaking like a 2 blade paddle.

I've tried a few different ones, but the fibered SBC is what is pushing me away from paddle or the style you have. The fibers start clumping up ruining the mix. It's more a question of how long it takes with a given mixer. Getting a complete mix in a short time and avoiding clumping is the real key. The SBC TDS says no more than 3 minutes mix time in a mortar mixer.

There are two features missing on the Mud Monster. One is the grippable part like on META's, the other is a groove for quick attach/detach like the Collomix uses. I'll put the groove in, but I'll only add the grippable area if I need it.

We'll see what happens.
fjn (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post

I have tried that type too, the auger i have posted above is way better.

Its pricy but Well worth the investment, You can have almost a full bucket of dry mix, add water to it and it will not splash out. It moves all of the material from the bottom of the bucket up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Here is my setup, i use it almost everyday to mix mortar and today i mixed 12 bags of concrete

What i like about it is that it doesn’t leave dry crap at the bottom of the bucket and it does a nice job of cleaning the sides of the bucket as well unlike paddle bits. Plus it doesn’t matter if you are mixing dry pack or wet soup, it doesn’t stress the drill at all, you can mix completely dry mix

When i was getting used to the auger i was taping the bottom of the bucket at an angle and it busted through the bottom of the bucket and bored straight into the dirt below LOL

Just bought this will be mixing concrete next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-14-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 9,856

I used to buy a new mixer every 4 years, now I've had the same one 8 and I bought it used lol. Thanks thin stone.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
Just bought this will be mixing concrete next week.
Mixed 30 bags of concrete today no splashing, nothing unmixed in the corner of the bucket, works quick. Only problem was I had 2 small holes in the bottom of the bucket when finished, don't care about the bucket but might have to put plywood under the bucket depending on where I'm mixing.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
. Only problem was I had 2 small holes in the bottom of the bucket when finished, don't care about the bucket but might have to put plywood under the bucket depending on where I'm mixing.

It will be less of an issue the more you use it and the edges are not so sharp on the augger

Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #18
Pro

so far so good with the mud monster. It's painted, and I forgot to take the paint off the flats, so it worked out of the check some.

Still haven't modified it for the collomix, I need to drill a hole to check and make sure the area I'm extending the flats into is solid and not hollow.

Very fast mix and clean up.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #19
Pro

BTW, it would be tough to pit a hole in the bottom of the bucket with the mud monster. It has a metal ring at the bottom that keeps you from digging in, and doesn't seem to compromise the mixing.

I didn't have trouble controlling it even in a very dry mix.

Advertisement

fjn (07-21-2019)