Leaning Block Wall - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Leaning Block Wall

Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Trade: Underground Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Leaning Block Wall

Its part of a retaining wall 'system' I guess I'd call it, but strangely was never tied into wall perpendicular to it.

From grade level it was closed off ~3.5" and a planter with a tree that should have never been planted. The tree buckled out the front wall (tree, front wall and remaining soil have already been removed) and this adjacent one.

I've got a plan, but this isn't something I've done before so looking for any tips/tricks, do's & don'ts

The plan is putting bolts through the wall(s) and through 2x6s (appropriate size? 4x6s?) vertically on the left side of leaning wall and right side of the wall to the right of it which cannot be seen in photos (outside to outside). Using chain and turnbuckles connecting bolt heads. I figure 3 wide and 3 across, a total of 9 pull points & 9 anchor points.
After securing compromised wall remove all the debris that has made its way in between the perpendicular joining of the 2 walls, make a cut if I have to clear any obstacles, and soak the soil around both sides of the footer.
Then turn turn turn them buckles gradually and uniformly until its back where it belongs.

The front wall (like in the picture with the tree) is going to be rebuilt, and filled with soil to be a planter again, but this time only with shrubs
Attached Thumbnails
Leaning block wall-20190702_091400.jpg   Leaning block wall-collage.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

Re: Leaning Block Wall

Wont let me upload last pic of how it was before this project started, upload keeps failing. It's not important though, just picture it closed off, with a tree in it

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,894

Just shooting from the hip,that is a pretty tall wall having to deal with unbalanced fill. IMHO,it was not designed correctly from the get go,trying to correct it is even iffy-er . There are prescriptive steps to follow when designing retaining walls; if not followed initially,don't think a "retrofit" will accomplish much.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
griz (07-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,054

very possible that you will expend more time and money trying to retrofit that wall than if you tear it down & do it right.
cedarboarder (07-03-2019), fjn (07-03-2019), Fouthgeneration (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

8' tall by 5'8" wide

I doubt this was ever intended to have any 'retaining' function otherwise it would have been tied into the adjacent wall, right?

There is a pool under screen enclosure. Use concrete tele pole as a reference point.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaning block wall-20190703_160115.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by EppNation View Post
8' tall by 5'8" wide

I doubt this was ever intended to have any 'retaining' function otherwise it would have been tied into the adjacent wall, right?

Among other things such as, re-bar,grout,bond beams,pilasters battered wall,counterforts and or counterfort footings. Any / or all of those items mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,713

Brace the existing long wall, demo tower of Pisa, replace near footing with an Engineered footing, rebuild a large Pilaster that comes out at most 32" x 16" nominal, stay away from the hurricane ready power pole. Its hole probably caused the issue.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,088

It doesn't look like its retaining anything, am I missing something?

Advertisement