Leaking Foundation - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Leaking Foundation

Old 10-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Siding, & Additions
Rewards Points: 15,560

Leaking Foundation

This is my basement has been raining quite a bit this week and just noticed cracks and leaks. And idea what typically causes this and what is the cheapest way for me to fix from the inside.?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Re: Leaking Foundation

Fixes from the inside are in 99% of the time not very effective. The source of your problem is on the exterior and that is where the fix should begin.

First check leader pipes from gutters,make sure the extend a min. of six feet from wall. Also,code mandates soil should pitch 6" in first 10' from building. If that is what you have then excavating to footing and installing drain tiles along with a good water proof membrane such as Platon is probably what it will take to correct problem.

The long and short of it ....there usually is no easy fix.

Advertisement

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (11-11-2015), brickhook (11-01-2015), concretemasonry (11-01-2015), dom-mas (11-01-2015), Fouthgeneration (11-01-2015), griz (10-31-2015), SLSTech (11-03-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Judging by the patch around the steel beam ide the hacks who installed didnít parge and seal the outside. Donít see any way of fixing from the inside, if you seal the inside the wall will fill up with water. FYI terminate that outlet ASAP
Your best bet is to start digging. If you find it has been sealed then apply grace membrane, pretty sure they sell 4í wide x 100 rolls
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-31-2015), brhokel606 (11-11-2015), fjn (11-01-2015), Fouthgeneration (11-01-2015), greg24k (11-01-2015), griz (10-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Shingler extraordinaire

Perfect
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

Well, being how the actual owners is letting the place go to foreclosure I think you guys helped make my mind up to not try to take over the payments or short sale from the bank, there is waterproofing on the foundation but it is THIN, I just checked the window wells
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,296

There are methods of injecting epoxy in cracks such as those with success and warranty.

I don't know if you have anyone in your area that can do it though. We have used a local co. http://www.structabond.com/ Maybe if you contact them they would have a recommendation for your locality.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
There are methods of injecting epoxy in cracks such as those with success and warranty.

I don't know if you have anyone in your area that can do it though. We have used a local co. http://www.structabond.com/ Maybe if you contact them they would have a recommendation for your locality.
Yep, If they're poured embossed walls, I could epoxy or urethane them with very good success.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerized View Post
Donít see any way of fixing from the inside, if you seal the inside the wall will fill up with water.

A very valid point ! Awhile back,we had a thread regarding rising damp and the usage of a water proof membrane to prevent it from being a concern. There were mixed opinions regarding the necessity of such material. Regarding an interior "fix" can epoxy stop water intrusion.....for awhile ? Possibly so. The question remains,does one really want their wall to be a reservoir to trap it within, only to release it slowly to the basement and framing above ?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
A very valid point ! Awhile back,we had a thread regarding rising damp and the usage of a water proof membrane to prevent it from being a concern. There were mixed opinions regarding the necessity of such material. Regarding an interior "fix" can epoxy stop water intrusion.....for awhile ? Possibly so. The question remains,does one really want their wall to be a reservoir to trap it within, only to release it slowly to the basement and framing above ?
The subject wall pictured above is a poured concrete foundation. There is no risk of filling the wall up with water.

The epoxy is pressure injected and fills all the voids related to the crack.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
The subject wall pictured above is a poured concrete foundation. There is no risk of filling the wall up with water.

The epoxy is pressure injected and fills all the voids related to the crack.

I realize it is a poured wall,however,all masonry materials,including concrete have the ability to absorb moisture. Granted,the wall will not literally fill with water as a block wall could. IMHO,the place to correct the problem is at its source or point of entry which is the exterior.

While epoxy injection can have some effect, compared to an exterior repair it is like placing a bandaid on a sword wound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-01-2015), tgeb (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
Contractor

Quote:
I realize it is a poured wall,however,all masonry materials,including concrete have the ability to absorb moisture. Granted,the wall will not literally fill with water as a block wall could. IMHO,the place to correct the problem is at its source or point of entry which is the exterior.

While epoxy injection can have some effect, compared to an exterior repair it is like placing a bandaid on a sword wound.
I agree with you 100%, the best approach is to excavate and repair from the exterior. The OP wanted to know the least expensive way to fix the leaks, injection is by far a less expensive method and can be used where it is unpractical to excavate the exterior.

www.gebcon.com
Old 11-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,846

Quote:

Epoxy and polyurethane injection is regularly used on complex masonry repairs, commercial roadway and bridge repair, building facades, foundations and all types of structural concrete.

You should familiarize yourself with companies like Chemco and Fosroc to broaden your view before painting with such a broad stroke. I would not consider them bandaid approaches.

There are options other than digging up an entire perimeter of a structure, particularly 9 or 10ft poured walls, when it's usually just a few trouble spots you're dealing with.

http://www.chemcosystems.com/ccs_injection.html

http://www.fosroc.com/products/by-so...epair-systems/

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
jomama (11-02-2015), klintala (11-07-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
[/B]

Epoxy and polyurethane injection is regularly used on complex masonry repairs, commercial roadway and bridge repair, building facades, foundations and all types of structural concrete.

You should familiarize yourself with companies like Chemco and Fosroc to broaden your view before painting with such a broad stroke. I would not consider them bandaid approaches.

There are options other than digging up an entire perimeter of a structure, particularly 9 or 10ft poured walls, when it's usually just a few trouble spots you're dealing with.

While epoxy and poly may stop water intrusion at the visible cracks,they do nothing to stop the moisture that permeates the concrete wall,absolutely nothing. Is that not why we place poly under concrete floor slabs ?

I would not be opposed to do an injection to correct the water/dampness issue at all. Just let it be in conjunction with a method to truly correct the issue.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
[/B]

I have to agree, this really is pretty elementary in the foundation repair industry. A 2 part hydrophobic injected into ports every 6 inches or so will stop water where it's entering, at the exterior. It's used successfully here all the time on poured walls.

The beam pocket should be fixed from the outside, especially since it's so close ot grade, but the rest would be interior repairs for us.

Any idea why the steal beam is sitting so low? Is it supporting a sunken living room or something?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
I have to agree, this really is pretty elementary in the foundation repair industry. A 2 part hydrophobic injected into ports every 6 inches or so will stop water where it's entering, at the exterior. It's used successfully here all the time on poured walls.

The beam pocket should be fixed from the outside, especially since it's so close ot grade, but the rest would be interior repairs for us.

Any idea why the steal beam is sitting so low? Is it supporting a sunken living room or something?
It's a double wide on a basement
Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,162

Although your wall is leaking in the cracks, all those leaks appear to be from surface water. Check your downspouts and grade.
As pointed out above.
This is not a ground water issue. I'll bet you can fix most of that without digging it up.
There are some sealers that work from the inside, but I usually equate that as trying to stop a leak in a boat, from the inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
fjn (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,276

That little bit after a hard rain I wouldn't be worried too much about. downspout location, distance, and even clogged gutters (with leaveS) can cause water to fall in areas it wasnt intended to be. Relocate downspout, move shrubs, etc. once the leak isnt happening anymore, get the injection. will prevent roots and other plant material from trying to make its way in.

LIKE THAT ALIEN CRAP GROWING OUT OF THE FIBERGLASS OMG WHAT IS THAT.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

After you dig and coat with some sort of "goop", back fill with appropriate well draining soil (not just "dirt"). It wouldn't hurt to put in drain tile IF you have a place to drain to or pump the water.

With good backfill, the soil and water pressures are much lower and super-human coatings are not always necessary.

I knew a builder that did up to 1000 homes a year and never used anything other than the cheap spray-on bituminous because he controlled the water and never had water coming up from below.

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.