Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question

Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #1

Trade: Architecture
Rewards Points: 10

Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question

I am currently designing a kiva fireplace that will be built into an adobe home, and have run into a possible issue that I can't seem to find any online guidance on. The issue concerns the expansion of the firebox (clay firebrick) and how that may affect the curved, plastered, front face of the fireplace. Because there is very little documentation online for kiva FP construction, I've had to try and adapt standard FP code and directions intto my design. I've seen a lot of advice for leaving airspace between the backup wall and the firebox to allow for expansion. I've incorporated this into my design, but because the front face is tied into, and bonded with the firebox - as well as the backup wall (refer to attached pics), will thermal expansion of the firebox cause enough movement to affect the front of the FP - i.e. cracks in the plaster, mortar joint failure? I saw where someone suggested just filling the cavity between the firebox and backup wall completely with mortar - making a solid, composite wall, and then incorporate the airspace between that and the adjacent masonry - which in this case will be the adobe brick. But I'm concerned if I do that, any thermal movement within that whole structure could cause mortar joint failure. Any insight into any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Note about the illustrations - there will be an additional four courses above what is pictured for enclosure of the smoke chamber. The dark red bricks are clay firebrick and the pink is standard brick.

Thanks in advance,
Frank Williams
Attached Thumbnails
Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question-firebox-view-3.jpg   Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question-firebox-view-5.jpg   Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question-firebox-view-6.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Re: Kiva Fireplace Firebox Expansion Question

Here is what I suggest you follow if you can.

http://rumford.com/K30plan.gif

Email Jim Buckly if you have more questions, he loves this stuff. Not that we dont, but I would like to see his throat system used to prevent any movement like you are mentioning. Short of that you need to build a throat with a bond break in it somewhere to ensure it wont move.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #3

Trade: Architecture
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the suggestion on the Rumford. I would prefer not go down that road, though I may have to if I can't find a workable solution. I'd like to retain the "all brick" aspect of my design if possible.

The tough part of this will be separating the throat structure from the face. Is it possible to leave a mortar gap that's open only to the cavity between the firebox and backup wall, as long as both sides are supported by a sufficient structure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

If you could use the Rumford throat it would solve your problems. The throat could be trimmed to fit if needed. The print says to use a 30" throat piece
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
frankwil (03-03-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Have you tried going to www.mha-net.org

Many heater builders just accept cracks as part of the natural course of building a masonry heater