Old 03-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 1,146

Interesting Article For Stonemasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-47673596
Read this online today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
fjn (04-01-2019), hdavis (04-01-2019), Tinstaafl (03-30-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,945

Re: Interesting Article For Stonemasons.

Thanks for the article.

But: TB is NOT C. O. P. D.(Chronic, Obstructive Pulmonary Disease(s)) caused by silicosis..

I would wager large sums that most pre 50 year old dead masons Had BOTH in the early 19th Century Scotland....

Literally washing the Foreign matter out our lower lungs is in early days of research.

Homo Sapiens Lungs don't have an "ash pit" clean out .

Tobacco smoke, and the Smog of peat and "brown" coal heat, and the waste gases of Coal gasification all create particles that the human lungs mostly can't cough up.

In My Opinion, as a Master Mason, every apprentice Mason in their 3 or 4th year, need baseline high resolution X-rays of their Lungs and of course the lower back, and added series every ten years or so as prophylactic health measures to insure they can continue working in their chosen crafts.

After Cremation, a Silicosis sufferers ashes would weigh more? all other things beings equal? Not much use for diagnosis though.

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,386

Well,sadly I can say that is what got my friend,stonemason and author of the book Art Of The Stonemason,Ian Cramb.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (04-01-2019), hdavis (04-01-2019), SmallTownGuy (04-02-2019), stuart45 (04-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,622

While there is no good way to separate out TB from silicosis from deaths 150 years ago, looking at it in light of today's knowledge makes sense. Stone cutting can be a dangerous proposition, so you need to take effective precautions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
fjn (04-01-2019), Fouthgeneration (04-05-2019), stuart45 (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
Pro

All other things being equal, the greater your "tidal" volume /muscle mass, the longer one can live with some loss of air movement by their lung(s)
Require an annual measurement of your breathing capacity from your MD, GP / Quack, as always keep a copy of med records in YOUR possession.

As long as you haven't entered the Nth stage of one of the many COPDs :
One can add years to our lives by moderate exercise and use of PPE, AND stopping exposure to dust by lazy co-workers and deadly cheap contractors/foremen dusty work methods.

My Fav, the cut the units on the scaffold so EVERYONE gets the dust, noise and danger of injury, cause the foremen can't/won't read print enough to precut most of the specials needed

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 04-01-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Their spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
fjn (04-02-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 342

It's scary stuff, and this year I've decided to switch to exclusively wet cutting floors and slabs. I even have plans to make portable water with a shallow well pump and a tank for sites without water on them, along with using the wet saw for cuts on veneer stone instead of a grinder. It's just not worth it, even with a a full face mask on cutting a floor with dust so thick you can't see the chalk mark means you are just getting way overexposed to the stuff, even when you are riding home with dusty clothes on.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post
It's scary stuff, and this year I've decided to switch to exclusively wet cutting floors and slabs. I even have plans to make portable water with a shallow well pump and a tank for sites without water on them, along with using the wet saw for cuts on veneer stone instead of a grinder. It's just not worth it, even with a a full face mask on cutting a floor with dust so thick you can't see the chalk mark means you are just getting way overexposed to the stuff, even when you are riding home with dusty clothes on.

Even Just a little bit of water makes a world of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Even Just a little bit of water makes a world of difference

Plus it nearly doubles the life of the blade on the floor saw.

I did my first big floor with water last year and it was much better, no mask, I could see what I was doing, and no giant cloud of dust flying down the street.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 7,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post
Plus it nearly doubles the life of the blade on the floor saw.

I did my first big floor with water last year and it was much better, no mask, I could see what I was doing, and no giant cloud of dust flying down the street.

I agree unfortunately the slurry makes a huge mess as well but at least it isnt in your lungs

As a mason i do alot of wall sawing and i need to wear a rain suit when cutting, LOL

I look like i was playing in the slurry mud pile when i am done cutting

But i will agree that it significantly increases both the blade life and the saw as well.

Probably increases my life as well.....i have breathed so much dust over the years that it worries me, i wish i would have been better at wearing the mask earlier in my life but at least i am not a smoker. Smokers and silica is a really, really bad combo apparently

All the bricklayers that are smokers always joke about drilling a hole in their mask as a cigarette “port”

Old 04-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Pro

It is sad that saving $ on saw blades is as important as a workplace that doesn't take away your retirement years....

And wet cutting extends the lifetimes of gas engines.... and open/brush equipped electrical powered units...

Random thought, could TSA x-rays be used for screening for various health issues?

Advertisement