Installing Felt Over Block Chimney For Veneer Stone - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Installing Felt Over Block Chimney For Veneer Stone

Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
BIRKHIMER BROS. INC.

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 30

Installing Felt Over Block Chimney For Veneer Stone

Plan on putting veneer stone over single flue block chimney figured to use super jumbo Tex 60 as a under layement then Keene rain screen then lathe,scratch coat then veneer stone. Right now chimney has drivit on it there is only foam on 3 sides of chimney at the top for the roof area to cover up flashings The rest of chimney has base coat and finish only .I am going to remove the foam at top of chimney and lnstall the paper, Keene,and lathe from bottom to top ,reflash roof and install a prefabed chase cover over hanging the sides.Just can't figure out how to best fasten different layers till lathe gets fastened with tapcons even thought of trying flashing tape or hot glue to temporary hold till got some tapcons fastened.
If anyone has ever put wrb over block and what method was used for best install.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
Stonemason

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 638

Re: Installing Felt Over Block Chimney For Veneer Stone

What is the chimney servicing?
Is wrapping the chimney in a combustible material such a great idea?

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 626

If the base coat etc..is in good shape I don't understand the reason for any of that. Even if it isn;t in good shape I would just lath it, scratch it and go. WRB and rain screen against block...block doesn;t rot like wood does
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Exterior Renovations
Rewards Points: 46

We use the yellow weathersmart. Not jumbotex. Just the yellow, then wire.

Attach with a ramset, or we have the Senco pneumatic guns. We just use pins to tack the paper, then pins and washers for wire.

No need for Keene IMO. I was led to believe the paper helps with block lines telegraphing through the finish.

Never had an issue with hairline cracks , with the block coursing.

No way am I tapconing a whole chimney.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,840

I know guys who paper block, but personally I don't...

Here's an interesting read I came across just the other night...chapter 2-8

Seems to cause more problems than what it's worth.

http://www.tsib.org/pdf/plaster-asse...rates-lath.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Im a visual learner, dont have any idea what your trying to do
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
Pro

We use the weathersmart strictly for block lines telegraph as I don't see them flush pointed too much.

Get that masonry bonds well to the masonry. I don't see how it would diminish the integrity of the stucco over time.

I read it as not using the WRB because it's not required by code , more than it compromising the stucco.

I'll have to check into a crack isolation mat, or whatever that was . Like Ditra for stucco on block.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
BIRKHIMER BROS. INC.

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 30

Chimney is used for oil fired boiler,also have stainless steel flex liner on interior of 8"x8" flue.Top of chimney at roof line has 1" foam that covers the flashings ,there are no through flashings so if foam is removed and flashings are redone figured wrb was best bet for leak prof application . Read about to many failures with veneer stone right over block chimneys without true through flashings.stone will also be installed dry stack no grout only mortar squeeze out.the lower part of chimney does have a few hair cracks showing where mesh base coat and finish were applied.Have a ram set did use it to fasten lath on some of foundation but cracked a few of the block so I quit useing it and used tapcons.Don't trust going over any house wrap product with any cement ,have read about study's done how cement actually will break down house wraps makeup,did see though on fortifiber website they now make a 2 layer wrb with weather smart and jumbo Tex on same roll ,the jumbo Tex is on the exterior to be the bond break of any stucco or veneer work.what color shots were you useing on chimney block ?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Pro

Tuck the flashing into a joint and you should be fine.

I can kind of see using a rain screen, but a WRB over block???
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohteah View Post
We use the weathersmart strictly for block lines telegraph as I don't see them flush pointed too much.
He isn;t stuccoing, he's installing thin stone. If any joints telegraph through he;s in more trouble than a WRB can save him from
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Birk View Post
Chimney is used for oil fired boiler,also have stainless steel flex liner on interior of 8"x8" flue.Top of chimney at roof line has 1" foam that covers the flashings ,there are no through flashings so if foam is removed and flashings are redone figured wrb was best bet for leak prof application . Read about to many failures with veneer stone right over block chimneys without true through flashings.stone will also be installed dry stack no grout only mortar squeeze out.the lower part of chimney does have a few hair cracks showing where mesh base coat and finish were applied.Have a ram set did use it to fasten lath on some of foundation but cracked a few of the block so I quit useing it and used tapcons.Don't trust going over any house wrap product with any cement ,have read about study's done how cement actually will break down house wraps makeup,did see though on fortifiber website they now make a 2 layer wrb with weather smart and jumbo Tex on same roll ,the jumbo Tex is on the exterior to be the bond break of any stucco or veneer work.what color shots were you useing on chimney block ?
I not necessarily agreeing that a WRB would be a bad thing on a masonry substrate, the problem arises when you want to hit the joint with the fastener and you have trouble finding it. The 2 ply is code these days over framing as we all know, but with masonry, the same should be said especially on thin stone apps on chimneys which bust up through the interiors of homes and are not panned or through walled.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post
He isn;t stuccoing, he's installing thin stone. If any joints telegraph through he;s in more trouble than a WRB can save him from
Gotcha , I was thinking stucco.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Birk View Post
We use the green or yellow,whatever in the case.

The ramset t3s were a nice upgrade. Cost of fuel and fasteners led us to the Senco pneumatics their freaking fantastic. The air guns don't seem to crack block like ramsets.

Our supplier let us try them out before the Co. bought them, maybe see if your local supplier will let you check it out or rent one maybe.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
Pro

http://www.cposenco.com/senco-7j0001...chNRoC5e3w_wcB
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohteah For This Useful Post:
superseal (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #15
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohteah View Post
We use the green or yellow,whatever in the case.

The ramset t3s were a nice upgrade. Cost of fuel and fasteners led us to the Senco pneumatics their freaking fantastic. The air guns don't seem to crack block like ramsets.

Our supplier let us try them out before the Co. bought them, maybe see if your local supplier will let you check it out or rent one maybe.
I gotta try one of these Sencos...what size nails you using? I definitely don't enjoy hand pounding a nice sturdy block or painted brick structure that's not at risk of blowing apart. I'm just so used to hand nailing with magnets that I'm stubborn.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
Renaissance Man

That's a pretty good price! I'm going to swoop one up...can I get ammo there too?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
That's a pretty good price! I'm going to swoop one up...can I get ammo there too?
I don't know about the pins online. We use 1in pins , we have an adapter for the nose that holds a washer . We don't use just pins.

Co. got them from Ambler Coal, don't know if your familiar. That's where we get our stucco materials.

That does seem like a good price, I wanna say my boss paid closer to 6 bills with adapter. Might have included X amount of pins , washers

Advertisement