I Hired A New Mason - Masonry - Contractor Talk

I Hired A New Mason

Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,846

I Hired A New Mason

Hes from S Carolina. Anyhow we actually had a new chimney to build and I put up my lines I drop down.

He looks at me and says you dont use poles?

Lol, nope, we build leads.

He said next one he would bring his in, I could sense the frustration watching him build his leads....

Maybe he will change my ways 😂
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (11-13-2019), hdavis (11-13-2019), Jaws (11-12-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (11-13-2019), stuart45 (11-13-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,657

Re: I Hired A New Mason

So..I googled "mason poles". Omg.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (11-13-2019), Bull Trout (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 10,846

Yeah dont do that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Brickie (11-21-2019), Bull Trout (11-13-2019), MarkJames (11-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 766

I don't do enough masonry to justify the cost, but I still want them.

They kind of seem like cheating to me, though.

I'm glad I learned how to build leads first.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

Maybe he will change my ways 😂

I sure hope so,remember I tried several years ago all to no avail !

Google Bon -Tool chimney brackets
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
JBM (11-16-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
I don't do enough masonry to justify the cost, but I still want them.

They kind of seem like cheating to me, though.

I'm glad I learned how to build leads first.
I didn't know there was any other way. Snap some lines on the wall and keep your 6 ft level near by.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Take your pick,just don't leave home without them,they don't call them speed leads for nothing. The chimneys / piers are about 1 / 2 way thru.

https://www.bontool.com/chimney-brackets-11-159 https://www.bontool.com/masonry-guid...masonry-guides

Attachments area
Preview YouTube video Post Speed Lead Full Video
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
JBM (11-16-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,920

We laid a crawlspace about a month ago. It was small. I just built up my leads. The next day, a guy that helps me lay block/brick, showed up (78 years old).

First thing he said (yelled), "Where's the poles?" I told him it was so small I didn't want to mess with them. I could tell by his reaction, he was thinking, "Kids!"
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (11-14-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 01:51 AM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 9,329

The video shows the Post hanger Clip installed "backwards" so that clip isn't completely inside the post pocket.. and is further away from the black wall sliding mount device, which increases the amount of flex of the rod if it is pulled on when raising the line/clip...

ALWAYS PULL most of tension off the line so the clip moves WITHOUT MOVING THE "Marv Post" post on the laid brick.....Left hand Post, pull line with right hand about 3-4' from corner post, slide blue clip upwards.

The Marv Post speed leads aren't really stiff enough for a long commercial walls, thus, raise the bracket in 48" jumps instead of the full ~96" to reduce bows from lines with 80-160 pounds of tension in half, or install and extra bracket or a wood angle to support the Post at the correct cavity spacing from the inner wythe or wall line...(6" cavity would use a 2 x 6 x 24-32" long nailed(screwed is better) to 1/2" thick plywood piece ~ 4-6" wide by ~24-32" long at a right angle, with the 2 x outset the 6" to speed nailing to the corner as a Post brace.

These "post stiffeners" can be fasten to the corner wall above the top of the damproofing flashing to hold the Post in position to lay the first course to a line clipped on a speed lead....ZERO brick laid with a level..... Or even an extra bracket can do the same thing....

Brick laying for dummies 101

I re-manufacture the clips with a added stainless 1/4" pin epoxied to the back of the clip so the line when wrapped around the added pin pulls near the "crotch" reducing the spreading of the clip and "bellying" out of the wall from the actual corner in the posts.
The downside being, dumb masons will just pull till the aluminum post bends out of plumb on Both side of the corner....

I always use 5 fasteners on quality work so the brackets can't slip sideways, (three in the black silider with the clamping nut, 1 in each end of the slot to stop ANY sideways movement)

Most time a 2x6" by 8-10' long/tall metal screed makes a better "deadman" that young line burners will bend less with their superman line pulls (guitar players?)

The chimney set up goes much faster with plywood jig cut ~ 1/8" small in both directions that sits inside the four posts and another piece(s) screwed to it that ride over the posts in all 4 corners so it doesn't drop down in use, in general I fine smaller chimneys go faster without using a speed lead on four corner, two or even just one, leave more room for swift laying...IMO.

I'd lay the back up block and flues then use a piece of plywood(placed on the backup masonry) to hang "jacklines" for 2 or 4 corners instead.

Around here few masons after the introduction of the M.Post speed leads ever learned to lay 4' high brick leads with speed and precision....

It is fun to watch "speed lead only" Masons attempt to use the posts on Faux hand made brick... Or have the skills to go ahead with OUT the aid of the corner tool...

Many older posts ARE bent and should be destroyed and replaced, I haul mine in a piece of DWV pipe to protect them from the forklifts and laborers some what.

I strongly recommend everyone use a die grinder/dremel tool to carve their name or initials into their clips, colored spray paint slows the sticky fingered masons from "borrowing" the 3.50$ clips....

WD-40 and a rag with a colored "sharpy' marker....10 cents of oil saves 2.00$ of cleaning time.

Always carry some set screws, both sizes, and every foreman ought to have an extra hanging clip assembly IMHO.

I carry an 8 and 10" rod to replace the ~18" head banger that they come with, the extra rod ALWAYs to run down the wall, not out into the hop plank space.

Using "Ram" set fasteners on CMU backup will destroy the wall brackets slots in a few short weeks.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 11-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.