Huge Problem With Ready Mix, What To Do Now?? - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Huge Problem With Ready Mix, What To Do Now??

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 10

Huge Problem With Ready Mix, What To Do Now??

I had a little issue today. I order 10 Yards for a driveway pour today, the forms were 6 inches to 10 inches in alot of places due to the slope of the grade. I ordered 3,500 PSI with NO additives at all. We started to pour at 11 AM and the temp was 85 degrees and sunny. Told the truck driver needed the concrete at a 7. Everything was going ok, it took about 30 minutes to get the first 5 Yards done because we had to use a skid loader to move the concrete about 20 feet from the truck to the pour site. Right when we finished that 5 yards that second we tried to use a float on the concrete and it was very difficult but we were able to get it flat. It took another 30 minutes to get the other 5 yards out. We took a float to it and at this point it was impossible to get it flat the concrete was already hard (the truck driver kept adding water every couple of minutes). by 1 PM the concrete was solid you could walk on it. and we couldnt brush finish it. Now the driveway looks like **** and I am out $1,100.00. I have never experienced anything like this before. Is this normal or am I missing something here? I called the company and they told me that was normal...

can someone shed some light??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Huge Problem With Ready Mix, What To Do Now??

You started the pour @ 11:00am, my educated guess was the load that went out before you was not totally emptied out of the truck, truck went back and added your load to the existing and mixed together. Just an educated guess...but it's not that uncommon.

Easiest/cheapest repair now, stampable overlay, color and a stamp pattern to make the client happy (if possible) or bring in the jack hammer and start again.

In the future order 30%+ fly ash or slag...helps extend working time and cures at a higher rate.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Sounds like you got a "hot load" from the supplier. I'd probably knock it back out and start over because if you kept adding water the whole time it has changed the mix design and it will not be as strong as it should be, especially considering that it's in a driveway area. If not it may have more problems in the future and you'll be knocking it out anyway, or fighting with the owner in court.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Self Leveler

Trade: Epoxy Flooring - Concrete Overlays - EIFS
Rewards Points: 550

Unless of course your near PA, then ill come overlay it for ya
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #5

Trade: General Construction and Excavating
Rewards Points: 25

Hot load!!!! go to the plant and ask for them to show you the load out ticket from that load that day....dont let them 'get back to you' (to fabricate one)

read this:

I had the same UNFORTUNATE thing happen about ten yrs ago....started a pour at 9:15 am Wanted an 8 am.... in a 2 car garage and only 35 minutes to empty the truck .... could not knock it down 45 minutes after starting we did get a reasonable finish in the center, the edges ,now piled with stuff are rougher. ! Used a power trowell and everything.

I went to the plant and pressed and pressed the dispatcher and the driver for 'what happened?' and they hemmed and hawwed a bit till finally someone said ....
"Well we did have a BREIF stop for 1/2 yard on the Way"

Then I got ballistic!!!! 1/2 yard 'on the way?' what kind of morons are you?...

The homeowner never paid me and I never had to pay the plant.
I did not charge for the labor either.

THE OWNER TO THIS DAY HAS NOT BEEN HAPPY AND LETS ME KNOW IT>
He has never changed it though even when I did offer and the plant did too.

Go to the plant ...check and then do whatever yoiu can to tear it out with the least $ you can but make the change...THEY NEVER FORGET!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #6

yesterday after like 4 hours after we poured it the Home owner saw it and told me to take it up. So we did and it was a pain in the ass. It was completely dry after 4 hours. the ground was cool to the touch and the concrete was like 120 Degrees << Doesnt that mean they added calcium?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,226

fight with them, have them pay for the next batch. you should have called the office when things first didnt seem right.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Have a sample tested.
The load was hot. Either it was old or something else went wrong.
How do they store their water? Is it hot? There is one company here I don't use because their water tank and supply lines are not protected. The water comes out hot and ruins the mud.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 542

i dont know where you are,but here(oklahoma)our local plant in the summer keeps a water sprinkler on the gravel,and add ice to the mix.
im not a big concrete man,but i would say yours was batched out alot earlier than they delivered to you,or instead of 3500# you got a stouter mix.this happened to a friend of mine years ago while pouring a floor for a wal mart pharmacy.he told the general contractor he wanted 3500# mix,the gc ordered 6000#.this was in july in oklahoma,temps in the high 90's low 100's.same thing happened.he couldnt float it out or trowel it to make it look even half way decent.gc refused to pay my friend,even tho it was his mistake.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkle View Post
Have a sample tested.
The load was hot. Either it was old or something else went wrong.
How do they store their water? Is it hot? There is one company here I don't use because their water tank and supply lines are not protected. The water comes out hot and ruins the mud.
If I have some peices of the concrete left over from tearing it out can I get that tested?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: General Engineering Contractor

live and learn.... if the truck gets to your site late, grab some of the mud that comes out of the chute, if its warm, you got a HOT LOAD!! send it back!! especially in your case where you have a long unload period! Ive had a similar expiriance where the truck i got had two yards lefover from a previos load that day...instead of dumping that load and loading a fresh load for our order, the batch man thought he could save money by adding our load into the previous batch!!! thought he could be sly, but it didnt get past my foreman!

Advertisement