Help With Masonry - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Help With Masonry

Old 07-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 4

Help With Masonry

Hi all,
Brand new here and looking for a little bit of advice/input on fixing up my front porch that's falling apart. I've been working for a home construction company based out of Boston for about 2 years and have several years' experience working in a cabinet shop. I'm kind of the jack-of-all-trades guy for the company who handles most of the punchlist items on our projects. But I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with masonry work.

So anyways, my front porch is in rough shape and I'm weighing my options on how to fix it. I'd like to restore it so it looks original and would rather not tear it down and rebuild it. It's a 5x12 elevated slab that's about 3" thick and is about 100 years old. As you can see in the photos, one piece already came loose and the cracks around it are slowly getting worse.

I'm considering:
A.) Cutting out the entire slab up to the edge of the railing and building a wooden platform to pour a fresh slab on. I'd run rebar in both directions to strengthen it.

or...

B.) Try to do a patch and overlay with structural concrete, as an easier fix. I'd cut V-grooves in to the cracks and put a piece of support under the hole and worst part of the porch. Someone told me to look in to Terrafuse (TF) Structural Repair Concrete. The product seems to be a Canadian product and not something you just find at Home Depot. Quikrete makes also makes a structural repair concrete and I'm trying to figure out if it's basically the same thing or not?

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
-Bud
Attached Thumbnails
Help With Masonry-img_3029.jpg   Help With Masonry-img_3030.jpg   Help With Masonry-img_3032.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Brickwork
Rewards Points: 1,306

Re: Help With Masonry

Think I'd rebuild it. Does not look too safe to me.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Think I'd rebuild it. Does not look too safe to me.

I agree. Also doesn’t look 100 years old to me. Look like it has wire mesh not rebar
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 50

Bro, time to get a sledge hammer and bust that thing up. It's at the end of its life. Pretty simple job to build a small wood front porch to replace it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
Bro, time to get a sledge hammer and bust that thing up. It's at the end of its life. Pretty simple job to build a small wood front porch to replace it.
Haha trust me I've thought about it! My street is all basically identical townhouses and ours is one of the last remaining original porches. It's actually still quite sturdy and the damage has been very gradual. I suppose a simpler question to ask is if anyone here has any experience with TF Structural or structural concrete in general. At the very least I'm considering doing a patch job to get a few more years out of it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman22 View Post
Haha trust me I've thought about it! My street is all basically identical townhouses and ours is one of the last remaining original porches. It's actually still quite sturdy and the damage has been very gradual. I suppose a simpler question to ask is if anyone here has any experience with TF Structural or structural concrete in general. At the very least I'm considering doing a patch job to get a few more years out of it.
Well at least build a wood one over it. Tapcon down some purlins and build off that. Saves you from busting up the concrete, which is what I'm guessing is pushing you away from replacing this thing
Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #7

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 2

Hello , Yep it is OLD but not 100 yrs , looks like may late 50's maybe 60's
It's and old style precast concrete stoop
The other gentlemen are correct DESTROY DESTROY !!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON
It will only get worse as sure as winter will be here especially in Boston area.
Crumble remove rebuild a nice one . YOu should be able to form and pour something that looks quite very similar to what is there or do Block and a brick veneer would look amazing in your hood
Just my 0.02 cents

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JCDSparky6971 For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (07-25-2020)