Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,069

Grout Job - Essential Craftsman

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTA6IG692x0
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
stuart45 (08-09-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,670

Re: Grout Job - Essential Craftsman

I'll pass,, I've done and see my share of CMU grouting..

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 420

Why not use a 20 meter boom pump for that job for the same money as the trailer pump?

I sometimes get the feeling this guy does things the hard way on purpose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-13-2019), Jaws (08-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post
Why not use a 20 meter boom pump for that job for the same money as the trailer pump?

Couldn't agree with you more. On top of that,he used that grout pump for placing the concrete footing and called it a concrete pump. He talked about a "special" mix needed with the pump,extra sand and small aggregate. Bottom line,he "irrigated" the forms and claimed it was a 4 " slump. The footing mix was as soupy as the grout pour. I'm beginning to view him more as a salesman than a tradesman. He has got more than a handful of loose ends. But he sure has a smooth delivery,just like a used car salesman. Most of all his viewers fawn all over him,that is rather telling about their expertise.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,710

I like his show, I send him 5 bucks a month. I watch all of his blacksmithing videos, even did a cool one on Processing a cow. The spec - not really.

You guys gotta be more realistic and keep in mind he is selling audience views. He is doing a hell of a lot better job than a diyer and you have to keep in mind his clientele. They're not wealthy people primarily, he has to make efficient projects and they're not looking for perfect on a lot of things.

Hes not trying to get pro carpenters and builders to watch him, hes trying to retire on people who like watching HGTV watch somebody who's a hell of a lot better than the people on HGTV

Take his mom's handicap ramp for instance, no way I would have built it that way, but it worked well and he'd finished it quickly. It will last a long time and was economical.

Watch Matt Risinger if you want somebody to watch a pro talking to pros. I don't like a lot of his stuff either come a but he is very knowledgeable. I believe so is EC, just in a different way in a different clientele and market.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-14-2019), fjn (08-14-2019), MarkJames (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Like Larry Haun, Most of his techniques I would not use for a custom home. He was selling production. And he was a beast framer.

John

Last edited by Jaws; 08-14-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCB View Post

I agree, but I think he does it that way because it appeals more to do-it-yourself er's. If you got a big ass pumo truck in that video a DIyer would never think that they could do the block wall probably...... and they probably shouldn't lol

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I like his show, I send him 5 bucks a month. I watch all of his blacksmithing videos, even did a cool one on Processing a cow. The spec - not really.

You guys gotta be more realistic and keep in mind he is selling audience views. He is doing a hell of a lot better job than a diyer and you have to keep in mind his clientele. They're not wealthy people primarily, he has to make efficient projects and they're not looking for perfect on a lot of things.

Hes not trying to get pro carpenters and builders to watch him, hes trying to retire on people who like watching HGTV watch somebody who's a hell of a lot better than the people on HGTV

Take his mom's handicap ramp for instance, no way I would have built it that way, but it worked well and he'd finished it quickly. It will last a long time and was economical.

Watch Matt Risinger if you want somebody to watch a pro talking to pros. I don't like a lot of his stuff either come a but he is very knowledgeable. I believe so is EC, just in a different way in a different clientele and market.

What I liked about that video more than the work was the message about sometimes not trying to overthink the work, to work smarter, but to just put your head down and develop a system to make the work easier while your doing it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,838

Quote:

Very true John; he has either taken some marketing classes or has a good coach. The strategy he laid out with his blacksmith course was text book perfect. He had it truly dialed in . I have to hand it to him,my friend says any youtube site on blacksmiths have over a million hits. He may be a marketing genius,I think there is a real good chance he did the loooooong introduction to the spec. house build (around two years) as a way to prime viewers to sign up for his blacksmith class. My buddy figures he probably pocketed around 350 K to a half mil. on that little adventure. Not too shabby in my books. Got to give him credit,he knows how to sell the sizzle before he sells the steak.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Very true John; he has either taken some marketing classes or has a good coach. The strategy he laid out with his blacksmith course was text book perfect. He had it truly dialed in . I have to hand it to him,my friend says any youtube site on blacksmiths have over a million hits. He may be a marketing genius,I think there is a real good chance he did the loooooong introduction to the spec. house build (around two years) as a way to prime viewers to sign up for his blacksmith class. My buddy figures he probably pocketed around 350 K to a half mil. on that little adventure. Not too shabby in my books. Got to give him credit,he knows how to sell the sizzle before he sells the steak.
I honestly believe he probably truly Spent decades in the trades like he said.

John
Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
The Sheriff

I honestly fantasize about having that type of operation sometimes. Just me and a truck and a part time helper or a buddy who is a contractor to help. Lol.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,670

Quote:

You guys gotta be more realistic and keep in mind he is selling audience views.
The guy is nice to listen to and has a lot of knowledge. As far as views and likes I like to spend my time watching
Nassrin's DIY
Next Level Carpentry
Finish Carpentry TV
Izzy Swan is good too.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
I honestly believe he probably truly Spent decades in the trades like he said.

I have no doubt that he usually knows what he is talking about, but he seems a bit like a "this is the only right way" kind of guy.

Like his stupid square stake video, taking no account of other regions where you might be building in shale or sand and need round or wooden stakes.

Sort of reminds of of the guy I used to work for, we would do everything the hard way as a badge of pride that he liked to wear "We wheelbarrowed 40 yards yesterday, who needs a power buggy"

The result of that attitude was a lack of growth in his business, and a broken body. I would never be so naive to think that the way I was doing something was the only correct way, or the best way to do it. It's the best way for my crew....but there are always more efficient ways if the resources are available.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,872

When I want a pros advise I just mumble inaudible crap to myself..
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,872

Or, I've actually asked a question here, can't knock our group!
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 240

He has a lot of good info about developing the kind of skill that only comes with years of experience. Talking about continually looking for ways to produce more work through improving the approach. I think he is venturing a little ways out of his comfort zone with the house he is building. He is still a good representative of the trades to anyone getting started looking to learn what it takes to improve in the industry. He also seems to be watched by an awful lot of pros.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Hartmann For This Useful Post:
asevereid (08-16-2019)