Good Masonry Books/resources? - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Good Masonry Books/resources?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 AM   #1

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 14

Good Masonry Books/resources?

Hi all. Long story short, I've landed myself a job as an estimator with a masonry company through a rather unconventional career path.

I can perform fairly well as it is, since I have a construction background (journeyman sparky with some plumbing experience) and have an eye for numbers, but without actually completing an apprenticeship as a Bricklayer I feel like there are probably a lot of knowledge points I'm missing out on that I wish I weren't.

I know it's no substitute for experience, but I'm wondering if there are any good books or websites out there that you might recommend to someone looking for a more rounded knowledge of masonry installs these days. I know the basics of stone, brick, and block installations, and can read blueprints like a pro, but before I got into the field, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what a "wall tie" was, or what it meant if you had to "squeeze 10" on a course. That's the sort of info I'm looking for.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,816

Re: Good Masonry Books/resources?

A fella couldn't go wrong with any of these books: any book by Richard Kreh,Gerard Lynch, Masonry and Steel by Walt Laska,Masonry detailing by Christine Beall ,Masonry Estimating by R.S. Means along with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Brickwork-App...ateway&sr=8-12

These ought to keep you busy for awhile.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (Today), jsprplc2006 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,588

go work as a hoddy for a bit...

you'll get some knowledge pdq...

brickies liable to teach you a few words you didn't know...
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
go work as a hoddy for a bit...

you'll get some knowledge pdq...

brickies liable to teach you a few words you didn't know...
They've already taught me a what "Cleveland Steamer" is, haha.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 8,577

Long term, How will you EVER make up your knowledge deficit with out working some in the field?

Work on the down low moonlighting every Saturday for 4-8 years?

Work half a day every week in field with a trowel? A day every 2 weeks?

Like the Squeeze 10" thing? I am guessing it is a wall that is 2" longer then a any number divisible by 8 or 16" (non-modular)

In residential or ratty commercial you could open up the 2" in 12' or longer panel...

While cheesing up the head joints just isn't acceptable in most high quality work that shows.

4 years from now, unless you've taken radical action, your profound ignorance is STILL going to be either costing your company jobs or profits....

And any wise owner will drop you like a infected date ASAP when a pro is available.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; Yesterday at 05:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Long term, How will you EVER make up your knowledge deficit with out working some in the field?

Work on the down low moonlighting every Saturday for 4-8 years?

Work half a day every week in field with a trowel? A day every 2 weeks?

Like the Squeeze 10" thing? I am guessing it is a wall that is 2" longer then a any number divisible by 8 or 16" (non-modular)

In residential or ratty commercial you could open up the 2" in 12' or longer panel...

While cheesing up the head joints just isn't acceptable in most high quality work that shows.

4 years from now, unless you've taken radical action, your profound ignorance is STILL going to be either costing your company jobs or profits....

And any wise owner will drop you like a infected date ASAP when a pro is available.
How do you think I got the job? There's no need for you to be posting inflammatory remarks directed at someone who's just looking for advice.

I AM a journeyman electrician, and have experience as an electrical estimator, and I was good at it. I know enough to know that you DO NOT have to have worked in a particular trade to be a good estimator in the same trade. You just need to have a close relationship with the project managers and others who have. Let's face it, most brickies are NOT math wizards by ANY measure. I am.

Fortunately, I can pretty much ignore your post; I'm smart enough to realize when I'm listening to someone who doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

Last edited by jsprplc2006; Yesterday at 05:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 8,577

J something: Telling you how I see it.

Please ignore me, I hope you're working in my area....

Me, an excel spread sheet does all the heavy math for me...But I'm lazy and Old.

I visited Cape Kennedy, but that didn't make me a rocket scientist....

Your own words support my main point, your lack of experience WILL cost your employer $ until you learn something about masonry as its is done in the field, or he cans you for a massive preventable screw-up(s).

Please post back several times, I hope I'm wrong....but.
JBM (Today)
Old Today, 08:05 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 9,844

I'm a 30 year mason or thereabouts, how would I do as a sparky estimator?

Advertisement