Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

flashing question

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  dom-mas 
#1 ·
Okay brick veneer exterior concrete wall that is back filled with gravel. All brick is above grade. Plans are run 2 courses add weeps and do a peel and stick. Does that sound right or am i wasting time with the peel and stick?

#6 ·
With peel stick, the manufacture we use requires a primer applied to the concrete. Then a termination bar at top edge of flashing followed by a bead of compatible caulking on top of the termination bar. Also sounds crazy but also caulking on all lapped joints of flashing vertically from bottom to under side of termination bar. The best/ fastest way found to fasten termination bar is pilot hole and hit pins/ lead heads, everybody calls them something different. This is the latest Army Corp. Eng.excepted submittal approved process. ASTM calls for flashing to be no further back from face of brick than 3/8" min 5/8" max. I have my guys fill holes on last course under flashing and stay back 3/4". Real world experience due to the compression of peel and stick it will weep and blow bed joint. JMExp.

#8 ·
I know this is going to sound totally from left field, but with concrete behind everything, I would weep it and maybe mortar net and call it good.

The only thing back there that is going to rot is whatever nonsense you try to rig up for a flashing.

This might not fly in front of an Engineer/inspector, but it is as solid as needed and the life expectancy is 100 years.

#14 ·
It is very rare I get to choose a type of flashing. It is usually spec-ed. Peel and stick is junk when it is installed the way it is usually installed. With a termination bar and caulked it would perform well. But I have never seen it installed that way.

The types I use most often are flexible tar coated copper, ridged stainless steel, and rubber.

In your application it sounds like the peel and stick with a termination bar would be easiest. Otherwise I would cut a riglet into the concrete and tuck a piece of metal flashing into it. Then caulk the top edge.

#17 ·
The whole thing. If you are going to have an air space, I would blueskin with whatever product you've had success with before. When I was with the feds we did a 20' high wall like that, actually we blueskinned then filled it solid. Zero drainage through the wall, all the drainage was behind the wall. looks good 12 years later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.