Flagstone Patio Re-point. - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Flagstone Patio Re-point.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,828

Flagstone Patio Re-point.

Got this one underway...dustless saw cutting, relaying loose stone, pointing and sealing. Also have a front stoop to repair and some foundation patchwork.

Pressure washed everything first, then the real mess begins

This job is a real pain in the knees...I bull chit you not
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-002a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-004a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-006a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-008a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-011a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-014a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-016a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-019a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-022a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-025a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-026a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-027a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-13-2017), fjn (05-12-2017), overanalyze (05-11-2017), Rio (05-13-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,460

Re: Flagstone Patio Re-point.

At least you dont have to set up a roof set up!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 662

How many of those are hollow? Most jobs like that I do, 40% or more have lost there bond. I think it's because the bluestone heats up so much in the sun and moves around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanstone View Post
How many of those are hollow? Most jobs like that I do, 40% or more have lost there bond. I think it's because the bluestone heats up so much in the sun and moves around.
A lot are hollow and no doubt very common with this type patio. I talked to the owner regarding his expectations and he's fine with leaving the stones that are tight, but would like the hand loose ones reset. This patio is 26 years old and most of the pointing is original. The hollow sounds have been around for years he says and based on my experience I believe him. I also informed him the any future mortar failure should be viewed as the sacrificial lamb at work and maintenance, the necessary evil.

I have a love hate relationship with cleft form variegated...it's looks nice but wet set with wide joints in freeze/thaw zones is mostly a recipe for a disaster of upkeep.

The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Renaissance Man

The patio is now mostly prepped but since gargantuan rains are in the forecast, I won't start pointing until Monday.

The owner would like the mortar color to match the chimney...looks like white cement with some bar sand, probably 4 to 1.

A new house just popped up across the street after a small rancher was torn down...friggin pool house is bigger than my digs, sucks being poor

Got to see my leathery friends again on my way in...they're looking at a wet weekend for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3328a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3329a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-031a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-043a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-044a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-046a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-051a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-052a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-042a.jpg  

overanalyze (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,460

Hey SS what hose are you using from the grinder to the 2 1/2 inch hose on the shop vac?
Old 05-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanstone View Post

I would agree with both you and S.S.'s assertions as to why the bond eventually gives way. I have only been successful in getting two clients to pop for what I feel is as close to a bullet proof installation because of the extra cost. My method is to lay all stones out, face side down, and I have a 160 cfm compressor with a 600 lb sand hopper. I blast the backsides with a course aggregate called Black Beauty. I try to also,hit the edges. Prior to installation,paint the backs and edges with a bonding agent. I have to admit,at this stage of the game,it would take an act of Congress to get me to spend that much time doing "prayer bone" work though.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Hey SS what hose are you using from the grinder to the 2 1/2 inch hose on the shop vac?
The Bosch 5M hose...sometimes you can catch them on sale at Amazon for $19.00, reg about $50. I bought a couple on sale and one at full retail, I'm waiting for another sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-.../dp/B0000AV78B

JBM (05-20-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
I would agree with both you and S.S.'s assertions as to why the bond eventually gives way. I have only been successful in getting two clients to pop for what I feel is as close to a bullet proof installation because of the extra cost. My method is to lay all stones out, face side down, and I have a 160 cfm compressor with a 600 lb sand hopper. I blast the backsides with a course aggregate called Black Beauty. I try to also,hit the edges. Prior to installation,paint the backs and edges with a bonding agent. I have to admit,at this stage of the game,it would take an act of Congress to get me to spend that much time doing "prayer bone" work though.
Damn Fred, all you gotta do is back butter them with a flexible thinset or straight up Portland slurry...that sound like way too much work

Old 05-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseal View Post
Damn Fred, all you gotta do is back butter them with a flexible thinset or straight up Portland slurry...that sound like way too much work

It is a whole bunch of work. While it definitely is an overkill,the roughened surface coupled up with the bonding agent is a belt and suspenders approach. The saw cut edges are in my opinion the chink in the armour especially with wide joints. Two problems result from that scenario,the smooth surface stymies mortar bond and the wide joints shrink from stone edges,allowing water to enter at the interface of stone and mortar.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
Renaissance Man

The patio is all pointed up and I'm moist curing the chit out of it...this thing gets direct sun all day and the stone cooks too much for my liking to be pointing it up under those conditions.

You either wait for a cloudy day or you pitch a tent friggin' tomorrow and Thursday their calling for 92 degs.

Anyhoot, my customer is chucking a bunch of other work my way while I'm here...more pressure washing and sealer work, chimneys and front wall, more patchwork, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-061a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-062a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-064a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-063a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-070a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-076a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-077a.jpg  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-22-2017), conductor (05-20-2017), fjn (05-16-2017), J.C. (06-01-2017), overanalyze (05-20-2017), SmallTownGuy (05-25-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 662

looks good.
The Following User Says Thank You to artisanstone For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
Pro

Looks great ,love the white joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
superseal (05-16-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Renaissance Man

On to the front stoop...the riser is all screwed up and there's a cracked stone I'll be replacing. Saw cut all the joints so it won't look like a patch and I'll float on a smooth riser and Thoro it.

Of course it gets a sealer when I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-002a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-083a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-086a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-087a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-089a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-090a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-091a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-093a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-080a.jpg  

Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #15
Renaissance Man

Parged the step riser with rapid set mortar, sponged it out to a flat plane and followed up with a coat of thorolastic...still needs another coat along with cleaning and sealing the stone but it's looking a little better given the cards I was dealt.

I wrapped up the week here cleaning a stone retaining wall, a nice canvass umbrella that was all mildewed up, parging and coating the addition foundation, leveling a walkway and replacing cracked stones, setting a stone for the grill pad and few other little things.

More work coming up here as well...cleaning and sealing chimneys, some new stainless chase covers and caps, front wall cleaning and sealing...he just keeps adding more.

Three straight days above 90 and humid...today, cloudy and cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-002a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-114a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-105a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-106a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-102a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-103a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-109a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-123a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-097a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-099a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-113a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-126a.jpg  

asevereid (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Pro

That riser came out sharp,like the cream color ! We must of sent you the 90,s ,we had it early in the week. Now back in the upper 50,s .
Old 05-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
I don't put down bluestone very often, but I have been doing it the same way you describe fora while. I usually use Laticrete MVIS for the back buttering. Just curious what thinset you're using?

Oh, and nice work, as usual.......
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
I don't put down bluestone very often, but I have been doing it the same way you describe fora while. I usually use Laticrete MVIS for the back buttering. Just curious what thinset you're using?

Oh, and nice work, as usual.......
Laticrete 254 platinum and thank you!

stonecutter (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,356

Quote:
Laticrete 254 platinum and thank you!
I've used the same product many times and I don't think theres a better product for thin bed stone setting.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
Renaissance Man

A lot of rain this week but managed to get the washing and sealing of the patio done along with everything else and I'm measuring up some chimneys for the next phase of this job.

A little old historic building not too far from this job has a rich little history ...in case anyone's interested.

http://www.historicnewtownsquare.org...square-tavern/

The cleaning agent used was Prosoco 600 detergent...much safer than muriatic acid, then a neutralizer of water...allowed to dry and then SureKlean siloxane PD sealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3343a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3369a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3370a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3371a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3372a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3367a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3368a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3358a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3361a.jpg   Flagstone patio re-point.-img_3362a.jpg  

Flagstone patio re-point.-miller-patio-071a.jpg  

Advertisement

J.C. (06-01-2017)