Fixing Someone Else's Disaster - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Fixing Someone Else's Disaster

Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 47

Fixing Someone Else's Disaster

I'll try to keep this brief...
A couple of years ago I wrote a proposal for a block and stucco wall around a property. I didn't get the job, a local hack did. He did the wall plus roughly 1200 sq ft of flat work. I got a call last week to come see if I would come to grout the flat work. I guess he had been canned or whatever. The work is an absolute abortion!!! Here's my dilemma, They only want to demo part of the work and re install. Of course I want to redo it all. My gut tells me to run not walk away. Still if any of you have any input / advice it is appreciated. Hope everyone's doing well. Football is here!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,136

Re: Fixing Someone Else's Disaster

Trust your gut. If you dont need the work/headache/nightmare, dont take it.

Advertisement

http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to 6stringmason For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-28-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,622

Agree, your way or the highway.
I wouldn't want my name connected to a project that I know will be completed well below my standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to fourcornerhome For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (08-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 596

McFly ?, you are the pro!!!!!!!!!!, only do what you know is right, do not let a h.o. lead you down the wrong path.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrick View Post
A couple of years ago I wrote a proposal for a block and stucco wall around a property. I didn't get the job, a local hack did. He did the wall plus roughly 1200 sq ft of flat work. I got a call last week to come see if I would come to grout the flat work. I guess he had been canned or whatever. The work is an absolute abortion!!! Here's my dilemma, They only want to demo part of the work and re install. Of course I want to redo it all. My gut tells me to run not walk away. Still if any of you have any input / advice it is appreciated. Hope everyone's doing well. Football is here!!
As a professional, give your polite, unabashed opinion of the work they received....in a way that's helpful to them. That's about all you can do.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 488

must I say, "you touch it, you own it"? any issues rise up later, in their mind, its on you. regardless what parts you touched....
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 47

Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I was thinking. I guess they got what they were willing to pay for!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

Walkway with your head up. Think of this a business move. If anyone sees you working on this "partial" project who are they to know you didn't do the whole thing, next thing you know your the guy who laid that job that fell apart, ( not the section you do the repair on. It takes years of honest work and quality work on many jobs to build a solid reputation but only job one to destroy it.

Turned down 2 small 1 day jobs today because they wanted to fix what the local hack did with more hack work, when I tried to explain in my own words what needed to be done I was told to stop sounding like " mike Holmes", I just removed my card from is hand and walked away.
I am in no way over flowing with work but I kinda have enough of these homeowners and their

" I know what I need and you are trying to rip me off attitudes"

Last edited by S.U.M; 08-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.U.M For This Useful Post:
fourcornerhome (08-28-2014), Rayner (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,100

I love when that happens... A few years back I got a call to do the repairs on the job I bid 5 years prior... It was a finished basement.

It was winter time, I gave the guy a good price, was gonna make 7-8k for about 2 months work, subbing most of it out.

He already moved, so his Realtor contacted me... The basement was botched up. They couldn't fit lights into the ceiling, so they cut all joist to get the lights in in a 15' span. I had to get engineer to specify the fix because township requested that. The plumbing vent pipe was left in the drop ceiling. No fire stopping, electrical work not up to code, etc.
I made the same amount of money fixing everything and my end was a few days of work, the rest was outsourced.

I take jobs like this every week
Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

You should pass on it for now.

When it fails miserably just be prepared to bid on the redo, then you will be the guy that fixed everything, not the guy that was there and did some of the work.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,456

I sell materials not installs, so this doesn't come up for me, but I do have similar situations where the customer calls me looking for a fix (like multiple times a week). My response is to call a competent contractor and expect to pay much more than the competent contractor would have charged in the first place. I also ask what their contract says, and there is never a contract, they paid the "contractor" upfront, etc. My empathy level is very low on those calls, and sometimes involves the adjective "dumbass". Here is an example:

"You gave him $5000.00 dollars without a contract and he showed up for 2 days and just made a mess? What kind of dumbass are you?"

Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tscarborough For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Insist on removing all the shoddy workmanship and do it right. Double the quote for the pain in the butt factor. If they take it great. You will make extra good money to rip out the work, and extra good money to reinstall it. If they don't take it, they can hire another clown like the first one who screwed it up in the first place. I have no sympathy for these kind of customers. Don't turn it down, turn it up. {the price} If you don't get the job, you probably don't care anyway.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Stonemasonry
Rewards Points: 2,352

Tell them cheap is twice as expensive.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: bricklayer/stonemason
Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrick View Post

run......unless you need the work
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Love me some Concrete

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,089

Explain to customer that the reason they are in this situtation is because they went cheap in the first place. You can not band aid the problem, it must be demo'd and started new or they will have constant problems in the future and charge them accordingly. Tell them that they can find a contractor that will just patch the way they want and walk away, but look what happened the last time they did this. If they want it done the right way, they will pay you and make you're money or walk away and wish them the best of luck.

Being a good salesman at this point can really help. Remember word of mouth, you fix it the right way and it looks great, the customers will be happy and tell others.

Advertisement