Finishing Concrete Footings - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Finishing Concrete Footings

Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 72

Finishing Concrete Footings

My concrete contractor didnít do any time of finishing of footings. Something I should worry about? Finishing concrete footings-img_4205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,110

Re: Finishing Concrete Footings

Looks a little sloppy but if they are level it won't effect anything. The only issue is if the footings are bumpy enough to cause the wall forms to be annoying to set up. A rough footing may be preferable because it gives the wall concrete something to grab on to.... sounds like a good justification anyways.

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-22-2019), Fouthgeneration (06-20-2019), Frank Castle (06-20-2019), greg24k (06-20-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (06-19-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 946

I've always float finished the surface of footings. Probably doesn't make much difference but it looks better and makes me feel better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (06-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,972

Screed flat and level is good enough.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,900

I like to cast a reverse key way .Ties the wall in + works as a good water stop. Also,like to leave footing top smooth enough to accept a nice clear snap like to set forms on.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (07-03-2019), Fouthgeneration (06-20-2019), griz (06-20-2019), hdavis (06-20-2019), shanewreckd (06-24-2019), TheConstruct (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,038

Looks about right, around here the wall crews screed along the forms with a 2X4 and that's about it.

Their crew has to come behind them setting the panels, so any footing issues become their problem.

It looks good, glad to see you got it up out of the mud.

www.gebcon.com
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,719

I wouldn't backfill anything(basement walls) poured on washed rock, the floor SOG and floor diaphragm is framed in place....

Why didn't you pour about an 1/8th yard more, run the inside footings from exterior wall to exterior, much stronger for Less 25$.

Use embedded DWV piping for tile sleeves....

It is like using a jack stud instead of a full height one......IMO

I'd consider vapour barriered footing forms to reduce total water vapour transfer to the home's basement and sill plates, dryer wood sills = termite Resistance. less chance of wood rot during damp periods.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,754

You talking about plastic over ground/top of footing then wall on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
I

Why didn't you pour about an 1/8th yard more, run the inside footings from exterior wall to exterior, much stronger for Less 25$.

s.
They probably ran out of concrete and didnít want to spend $500 for an 1/8 yard. That can be filled in when the floor is poured if necessary.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,794

Look at those dinky footings. That looks pretty sloppy to me.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Looks pretty standard to me, other than we typically see "Form-a-drain"around here.

I doubt they ran short on concrete, looks to be excess dumped in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. Pretty sure those footings that someone thought were "short" are merely strip footings holding up a stud wall at a stair case opening........
Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Concrete & masonry
Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
I wouldn't backfill anything(basement walls) poured on washed rock, the floor SOG and floor diaphragm is framed in place....
Research "Footlock" bracing. I've never understood why frames should have to install floor joists with a moat around a house, and then leave to come back a week or 2 later to frame the rest of the house. Besides, basement floors are great rain day jobs once the house is weathered in. We're all seasonal tradesman in one way or another, might as well make the most out of rain days.........
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,422

Construction looks so different across the country. Here most do mono pour footings and walls. One less inspection, one less pour.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Construction looks so different across the country. Here most do mono pour footings and walls. One less inspection, one less pour.
It is interesting to hear how things are done elsewhere.

Are mono pours the norm even on full basements? I've seen very few mono poured foundation walls around here if any and I'm guessing it's due to the logistics of getting all the formwork and rebar held together.

How are the wall forms held up on the footing? Do they rest on the cleats on the footing form? If so do the cleats just get left? Cut off flush? Getting the full grid of rebar suspended would be a feat in itself doing it the way I'm picturing.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 446

The footers are where the young guys learn to run a float....doesn't matter if it's ugly, it's getting buried.

When I'm doing bloc I usually don't even mag them, I just screed it a few times to close it up and call it good, nice rough surface for the bottom course to bond to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCB For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (07-03-2019), TheConstruct (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 6,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConstruct View Post
It is interesting to hear how things are done elsewhere.

Are mono pours the norm even on full basements? I've seen very few mono poured foundation walls around here if any and I'm guessing it's due to the logistics of getting all the formwork and rebar held together.

How are the wall forms held up on the footing? Do they rest on the cleats on the footing form? If so do the cleats just get left? Cut off flush? Getting the full grid of rebar suspended would be a feat in itself doing it the way I'm picturing.
I'm not sure what's most common with full basements. Not many in new construction that I'm aware of. Certainly none I'm involved with.

But two ways are used for the mono pour.

My way is less common. Mono cleats spread the footing boards and are strong enough to hold up the wall panels. The cleats remain in place. Footing forms are set and dialed first, then rebar, then wall panels. For shorter walls, just plywood or MDO and metal spreaders top and bottom.

The more common production method here is framed wall panels made from 2x3s and 1/2" MDO for a 3" thick wall panel. These are set first on pins, spread apart with a little scrap of wood that theoretically gets removed once concrete is holding forms apart, and they are held together from blow outs with metal banding.

After walls and bar are set, floating 6 or 8+ inches above grade, they screw on literally junky scraps of plywood or OSB, and pin them at the bottom with metal pins or wood stakes. This makes a footing 6" wider than the wall. The scraps can be any height really as they just overlap on the outside of the wall forms. This also is nice for uneven excavation, as they can just follow the slope of the ground.

Hard to describe all this in writing. I'll get a picture some time.
asevereid (06-26-2019), TheConstruct (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
Safety Third

Trade: Concrete Cowboy
Rewards Points: 786

All my foundations are spec'd out to be minimum mag finished. It's easier to snap on, nicer to work on, and in my opinion seals the footing from any water pooling on top of it and going through the freeze thaw cycle. We always use a key way to help tie the wall to the footing, also helps to hold the hook bars on layout for walls/brickies.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,719

Drurban @ # 8: No, keep the concrete to concrete contact at the cold joint between the spread and vertical foundation...I'd use the 1.5 x 0.75" deep notch under the wall for a key way.

Think horizontal chutes of thick poly attached to the top of form boards that cut the exposed footer surfaces, to vapor pressure from ground water, to just the to be sealed top faces that the wall pour & floor pour doesn't cover.

Saves thousands of dollars of dehumidifing over the life time of the basement, = Dryer basement with any electrical usage.....for hundreds of years......

Advertisement