Estimates For Basement Entrance - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Estimates For Basement Entrance

Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor
Rewards Points: 504

Estimates For Basement Entrance

Called a few masons this week to get some estimates for a new basement entrance for one of my customers,all this while and only one called. Guess the rest have enough work ,who knows. Anyone else have this problem,contractors not calling back? The one that did call gave me a price over the phone,price sounded reasonable,But my only concern was he never mentioned possible problems ,sewer lines,water lines things that may be in the way. I'm going to call and have all the utilities staked out and nip things in the bud ahead of time and have a plumber on stand by if needed. Any long island masons out there? Typical L-shaped Block wall 4' wide, 10-11 steps including stucco,capping wall with 4" solid block, drain, cutting foundation out for new door and removal of soil. IM me if you are interested. Job is in west islip.Looking to start yesterday. something like the one in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (56.3 KB, 1015 views)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Estimates For Basement Entrance

Why would the mason reference anything that's in his way? That's your problem as the GC- not his. He's assuming (rightfully so) that you've given him a clear area to work in, with no obstructions that will hinder his progress.

Bob

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Carpenter/fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
Why would the mason reference anything that's in his way? That's your problem as the GC- not his. He's assuming (rightfully so) that you've given him a clear area to work in, with no obstructions that will hinder his progress.

Bob
No I'm not the GC i was just trying to assist in locating a reputable mason.I'm not currently doing any work at the home.I happen to be working on a job across the street and offered to meet with a mason contractor when they come to look at the job.The customer ,also a Friend could not be home that week.I'm there to just let them in the yard. Still my responsibility ?
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywoodwizard View Post
.The customer ,also a Friend could not be home that week.I'm there to just let them in the yard. Still my responsibility ?
Sounds like you've taken on responsibility- it's either yours or the owner's, but definitely not the mason's.....

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywoodwizard View Post
Called a few masons this week to get some estimates for a new basement entrance for one of my customers,all this while and only one called. Guess the rest have enough work ,who knows. Anyone else have this problem,contractors not calling back? The one that did call gave me a price over the phone,price sounded reasonable,But my only concern was he never mentioned possible problems ,sewer lines,water lines things that may be in the way. I'm going to call and have all the utilities staked out and nip things in the bud ahead of time and have a plumber on stand by if needed. Any long island masons out there? Typical L-shaped Block wall 4' wide, 10-11 steps including stucco,capping wall with 4" solid block, drain, cutting foundation out for new door and removal of soil. IM me if you are interested. Job is in west islip.Looking to start yesterday. something like the one in the pic.
I have a mason working across the street from my house if you are interested in the name and number you can either PM or go to my website and call me. His brick work looks very great.
Steve
Superior Built Construction
http://www.superiorbuilt4u.com
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
Carpenter/fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBuilt View Post
I have a mason working across the street from my house if you are interested in the name and number you can either PM or go to my website and call me. His brick work looks very great.
Steve
Superior Built Construction
http://www.superiorbuilt4u.com
Thanks i'll do that the only masons i see around here are four mexicans driving a pick up truck. All in the front seat.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Carpenter/fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
Sounds like you've taken on responsibility- it's either yours or the owner's, but definitely not the mason's.....

Bob
OK bob,I'll say it again,can't be mine I'm not the homeowner or working on the site , i though I've already said this,it was just for an estimate ,i was not appointed to supervise the project. Although after hearing what you said maybe i should. Do you tell your customers,its your problem ? Whats an ignorant homeowner suppose to do ? If its there first time how should they know what preparations to get in order for a construction project they know nothing about.If someone hires you for the job do you just go directly to the site and start digging? Or do you inform the customer of possible obstructions that may hinder your job and give them the "Call before you dig" phone number to prevent any damage or delays? If i were the mason i would choose the latter.
Reminds me of an incident i seen a few years back, guy pulls up to the house takes his backhoe off starts to dig next to the foundation, bucket rips the water main out starts pouring into the basement window,causes extensive damage to basement and lawn. Poor guy if the customer only informed him how to do his job. He was found liable and was sued for the damages to the home and billed for the water main repair. "Customer was not the operator,he was." In my neck of the woods contractors must have all utilities staked out first before any digging,or face a fine ,if you hit a utility line Try a few thousand dollars or more.

I'm not an instructor and i have no intentions on going around town teaching responsibilities to contractors.They should already know and if not they don't belong in the business.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
DRIFTWOOD

Trade: GEN CONTR.

Question ,What are You doing there? What are You doing Here?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Nywoodwizerd, be careful on the role your taking. If anything goes arie with the job, you may get sucked into any legal crap.

Give the HO referrals and let him do the rest. If this is just a remodel job for your friend and you want involvement then have him hire you as the acting GC but then again if you are not familiar with those trades and steps needed to do the job properly, I wouldn't proceed any further.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

WOW A CONCRETE CONTRACTOR GAVE YOU A PRICE OVER THE PHONE SOUNDS LIKE YOU CALLED PIZZA HUT.

I AGREE WITH WORKAHOLIC LET THE HOMEOWNER DO HIS HOMEWORK SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE.

Last edited by DREWALAN3; 10-24-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: NOT DONE
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #11

Trade: Mason

Indeed be carefull with over the phone estimates...Too many unforseen issues to deal with.
Give me a shout if your still interested.
Paul
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #12

How do i get in touch with you
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teichmanbp View Post
How do i get in touch with you

By climbing in to the time capsule phone booth and going back to 2007

Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,038

Man.......would I love to be working back in 2007 again!

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com