Efflorescence Mystery - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Efflorescence Mystery

Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Efflorescence Mystery

This an email from a client, any thoughts?

Hi Chris, sorry to bother you with this, but I'm stuck. We have a strange water issue in the bricks on one side of the house--it rains, and 8-12 hours later we get a vast area of white that appears as the water evaporates out. Last winter it blew out the pointing, and I had to have it redone. The mason was guessing the water was getting in through some windows, but they are all fixed up, so that's not it. I had a roofer out last week to see if that was the problem, and he seemed to think probably not (but he was, as all roofers are, crazy, so who knows). So the mason has no idea, the roofer has no idea. But there is still water in the wall (it's between the bricks--it's a double brick wall).

Do you have any idea what trade I could call next? Another roofer? I have absolutely no idea.

Best
cw

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Re: Efflorescence Mystery

For more than you ever wanted to know about this, try
http://www.delawarequarries.com/clea...orescence.html
plus
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
Arthur Conan Doyle

Seems like some dispositive tests are in order, by contractors or the HO or some lab or some consultant.

Advertisement

Last edited by GettingBy; 06-22-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Have Trowel, Do travel

Trade: Artisan
Rewards Points: 1,188

have a Thermal imaging camera available?
Chris G (06-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,460

What has the most surface area of a wall? The wall itself. If the efflorecence shows up that fast it must be a very soft brick and/or mortar. Is the wall sealed? Normally you won't get wide areas of efflorecence from point entrance of water.
Second he says it is a double wythe wall, what is in between the wythes?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Pro

Age of house is a consideration I should have mentioned. I think it's around 80 years old.

Between the whythes - most likely air and bits of mortar.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,844

Efflorescence is generally a problem with younger masonry as the water soluble salts work themselves to the surface through evaporation of moisture.

If the wall is has been recently re-pointed which may be the case, it could be that mortar which is causing efflorescence.

A good quality sealer, e.g Sure Klean PD would surely put a stop to the transfer of such water and minimize your issue. That is, if everything checks out with undermining leaks.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 06-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Don't use sealer in our climate please. There should be absolutely no need for it. How high above grade? Roofers are crazy, and some are lazy. Need a pic for any sort of a reasonable diagnosis. If it's reasonably close to a chimney, flashing would be my guess but there are so many possible answers that without more info we're throwing darts blindfolded
The Following User Says Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
fjn (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

I'M with dom-mas 100% regarding the use of sealers. The building has stood for around 80 years and now we need to apply a sealer ? ? ?

Applying a sealer to masonry is like dancing with the devil as far as I'M concerned.I think the root problem needs to be corrected rather than think the world of chemistry will solve your problem.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Pro

I know you do not like sealer, and a true mass wall should not be sealed, but it sounds like this is different and something is causing generalized moisture movement, and very quick movement at that. It does not sound like a point source, it sounds like a porous brick and not enough volume to make the cycle, driven by an issue with the wall makeup.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Chris G; post some pictures. Without pictures it is like expecting a mechanic to diagnose engine trouble by placing his knee against the fender with the hood closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Pro

It is, but there are some cues: It must be a recent problem, it is not a point source, and it is extremely rapid.

Best guess on that information is a recent sealing of the interior wall, paint, or insulation/vapor barrier, etc.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is, but there are some cues: It must be a recent problem, it is not a point source, and it is extremely rapid.

Best guess on that information is a recent sealing of the interior wall, paint, or insulation/vapor barrier, etc.
good points. I'd still like a picture to try and eliminate some things.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,844

Listen guys...I get the whole sealer debate but there's no way you can prove to me from what I've seen and experienced through the years of multi wythe construction...Our area is full of it...rusted out electrical boxes on interior perimeters, rusted out galvy flashings, rusted and jacked lintels, waterborne and oxide staining, and so on...Just because the building lasted 80 years without no sealer doesn't mean it wouldn't have benefited having it.

And to think chemistry is not helping to maintain some of the worlds most monumental monuments would be foolish thought as well. Sealers are here and here to stay, for very good reason IMO.

Dom and FJ, do you honestly think applying a quality product such as Sure-Klean PD poses long term threats to the masonry? My experience and verdict would be much different.

No disrespect...just my perspective.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Pro

Sealers work, when warranted. Here in central Texas there is a lot of hand made low-fired Mexican brick. It can last for 80 years unsealed, and then pop every face on the North side of the building when we get a rainstorm followed by an ice storm. It doesn't happen often, but it happens often enough to make it worthwhile to seal the brick.

On mass walls, it is a little more complicated, even with an excellent sealer like Siloxane PD. First if the wall is not dry when it is sealed, then there is an issue. Second, even though it is breathable, if liquid water gets in the wall on a sealed mass wall, there is going to be degradation.

I will defer to the cold weather guys on their climate, I don't know enough to say.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
Pro

There are very few sealers used in my area...almost none really. I'm not well versed on all the different products out there and I'm sure there may be some that will help more than hinder, but of the few I've seen applied, they trapped moisture, made the wall look wet, and eventually flaked off...and they usually didn't solve the problem because rain infiltration isn't a big deal here....unless it's coming from poor flashing or caulking, rotted wood which was often incorporated into the masonry, vegetation that has leaves that touch the structure, or bounce back from a driveway or sidewalk or some other form of water being diverted towards it

I also know that you use a type N or stronger mortar for re-pointing older homes. In Ontario that gives a moulded brick a 10 year death sentence, maybe 20 if it's in a sheltered area. You live in a very different climate than the OP and I do.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
Pro

That house was showing no signs of effloresence for some time before and it suddenly appeared. Some new development is causing it like Tscar says. Better to my mind to fix the underlying problem than to fix the symptom. Perhaps it will be that a sealer will cure it's ill, but I still want a pic first
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
Pro

If you use a surface sealer on exterior masonry, you an idiot, no matter what climate you are in. May as well paint it with oil paint.

The sealers which I am talking about do not change the appearance, are breathable, and penetrate and bind with the silica content of the brick.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #18
Pro

So they change the chemistry of the bricks? ugh, but maybe some bricks need their chemistry changed. TO had some excellent brickyards right up into the '70's, excellent brick for the most part. Good clay, well fired and durable

Maybe sealers have come a long way, I still can;t understand why they are needed for a well maintained home. We don;t get the volume of wind driven rain that other locations get.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #19
Pro

I'll see if I can get him to take pics. Dark and rainy here, so clues to mystery will have to wait till tomorrow I guess.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #20

Trade: Mason Contrator
Rewards Points: 70

While on a tour of the Belden Brick plants our guide was asked what kind of sealer to they recommend with their brick. His answer was "The best sealer we recommend is... no sealer. The best defense for a brick wall is air flow."

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzwillie For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (06-22-2015), fjn (06-23-2015)