Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,542
Rewards Points: 6,330

Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Here they put a piece of 3" abs with a backwater valve through the footing, but this is new to me since I learned foundations on another region. Does it go at the bottom, under, or middle? Dumb question I know but I'm new to the practice.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 05-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Here they put a piece of 3" abs with a backwater valve through the footing, but this is new to me since I learned foundations on another region. Does it go at the bottom, under, or middle? Dumb question I know but I'm new to the practice.
It usually under it with a sleeve. If you going through the footing you have to make the footing is thick enough to have a min 6" of concrete above the sleeve.

Advertisement

__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (05-16-2019), Fouthgeneration (05-18-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,542
Rewards Points: 6,330

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
It usually under it with a sleeve. If you going through the footing you have to make the footing is thick enough to have a min 6" of concrete above the sleeve.
I'm 80% sure they don't do it your way, even though your way makes sense.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I'm 80% sure they don't do it your way, even though your way makes sense.
I don't know how they do it, stop by and see what they say. This was always a typical way of doing it, the sleeve would be wedged between the form, you would dig a bit deeper under it to make sure entire sleeve is embedded in concrete and after the forms off, you slip perforated pipe and tie into the pit something like this. There is also a code section about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Crawlspace low point drain details Pacific NW-cap-1.gif  
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,542
Rewards Points: 6,330

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Typical crawlspace here has footing bottom at the same elevation as crawl floor. No gravel or drain tile inside or out. I'm pretty sure most of them have this low point drain just sticking through and shoved into the dirt. If nothing else it gives you an easy connection point down the road to add a drywell.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,972
Rewards Points: 2,444

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Why do they have the interior crawlspace at the same level as the footing?

Why would someone intentionally bring water into the crawlspace, and then pump it out?

And I've always thought that sleeves had to be in the stemwall, or below the footing? I'll have to look it up sometime, but I'm pretty sure there is a code prohibition about penetrations through a footing.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
fjn (05-17-2019), Golden view (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
Pro
 
Bull Trout's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salish Sea
Posts: 1,019
Rewards Points: 594

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


One way valve to allow water out without having to be pumped, as the water table rises the pit will fill higher triggering the pump
Bull Trout is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
Golden view (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Why do they have the interior crawlspace at the same level as the footing?

Why would someone intentionally bring water into the crawlspace, and then pump it out?

And I've always thought that sleeves had to be in the stemwall, or below the footing? I'll have to look it up sometime, but I'm pretty sure there is a code prohibition about penetrations through a footing.
Plumbing pipes for a sewer connection or water lines cannot go through footing it must be under or through a stem wall.
Like the house I was building in the picture 1you can see sleeve is going through the stem wall, after the backfill, when they bring water and sewer, all they have to do is slip the sewer and water lines through the sleeves.
The second picture is incorrect, they have a perforated pipe running right through the footer, there should be a sleeve installed.
The 3d picture is how it's done, you put a sleeve and when doing the drain pipe you slip right through.
Attached Thumbnails
Crawlspace low point drain details Pacific NW-p_00024.jpg   Crawlspace low point drain details Pacific NW-cap-1.jpg   Crawlspace low point drain details Pacific NW-cap2.jpg  
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
Golden view (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,302
Rewards Points: 4,840

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Typical crawlspace here has footing bottom at the same elevation as crawl floor. No gravel or drain tile inside or out. I'm pretty sure most of them have this low point drain just sticking through and shoved into the dirt. If nothing else it gives you an easy connection point down the road to add a drywell.


That is how it seems almost all of them are here in Salem.

Not always at the low point. Generally at the dirt or an inch low or high.

They donít always have the check valve.

They generally run to the curb. Sometimes to a greenway if there is one at the back of the house.

Just about always through the footing.

It does make for a handy place to add discharge for a sump pump.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,080
Rewards Points: 10,854

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


It has NEVER made sense to me to "invite" exterior ground water into the structure only to then have to figure out a way to get it back out ! Having an exterior and interior footing drain system tied together also makes no sense. If one wants to have two systems,great,let the interior on be thought of as the back up system.

The answer to all this is an exterior sump basin. JLC ran an article on that a few months back. FHB showcased it in their book called best practices. I will see if I can pull one up.
fjn is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (05-18-2019), SmallTownGuy (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,080
Rewards Points: 10,854

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/fou...dation-drain_o
fjn is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,302
Rewards Points: 4,840

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
It has NEVER made sense to me to "invite" exterior ground water into the structure only to then have to figure out a way to get it back out ! Having an exterior and interior footing drain system tied together also makes no sense. If one wants to have two systems,great,let the interior on be thought of as the back up system.



The answer to all this is an exterior sump basin. JLC ran an article on that a few months back. FHB showcased it in their book called best practices. I will see if I can pull one up.


The check valve stops water from backing in as well as rodents from getting in.

They seem to work fairly well. They are not tied to rain drains, but separate

A lot of the soil around here has a lot of clay in it. It would take a long time for it to migrate to an exterior sump pump.


.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,080
Rewards Points: 10,854

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
The check valve stops water from backing in as well as rodents from getting in.

They seem to work fairly well. They are not tied to rain drains, but separate

A lot of the soil around here has a lot of clay in it. It would take a long time for it to migrate to an exterior sump pump.


.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




That is totally besides the point. Why invite it in only to pump it back out ? A pump malfunction,power outage and wham O water filling up inside. Makes absolutely no sense. Keep it outside at all times ....where it belongs !
fjn is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #14
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


What you basically doing is releasing hydrostatic pressure from the foundation or having the water build up alongside of the wall, this is a system which allows the water enters the sump pump and it pumps the water out to the daylight.
It was designed that way and it works.
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
Pro
 
fjn's Avatar
 
Trade: mason
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,080
Rewards Points: 10,854

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
What you basically doing is releasing hydrostatic pressure from the foundation or having the water build up alongside of the wall, this is a system which allows the water enters the sump pump and it pumps the water out to the daylight.
It was designed that way and it works.



Yeah,it works alright...........until it doesn't as in failed pump,power outage.

An exterior sump pump or better yet,pipes run to daylight (gravity never fails us ) will do all your system will do with none of the risk.
fjn is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Yeah,it works alright...........until it doesn't as in failed pump,power outage.

An exterior sump pump or better yet,pipes run to daylight (gravity never fails us ) will do all your system will do with none of the risk.
Today most people I know have battery back-up pumps, after Sandy and Katrina, people been hooking up generators. battery pumps, etc.

This is a pretty common practice in Jersey for every new built... if you have or believe in a better system or you have a different requirement in your area, you can put exterior pumps, etc whatever works my friend.
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,236
Rewards Points: 3,534

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Sump pumps are a necessary evil. I don't know what folks with basements did before sump pumps came along. Bailed after every rain storm I guess.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #18
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,972
Rewards Points: 2,444

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Sump pumps are a necessary evil. I don't know what folks with basements did before sump pumps came along. Bailed after every rain storm I guess.
Depends on the area.

Here our water table is deep, and terrain in mostly hilly. 2 wells at the ranch are both 125'.

Lots of walkouts. Easy to keep dry with proper damp-proofing, and backfill with good quality drain rock, and filter fabric.

I don't envy you guys building where the water table is a couple feet.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
greg24k (05-18-2019), SmallTownGuy (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #19
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,539
Rewards Points: 8,200

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Depends on the area.

Here our water table is deep, and terrain in mostly hilly. 2 wells at the ranch are both 125'.

Lots of walkouts. Easy to keep dry with proper damp-proofing, and backfill with good quality drain rock, and filter fabric.

I don't envy you guys building where the water table is a couple feet.
Have to keep the basement floor above the water table min 1'. As you can see in the first picture I posted, I could only go 40" +10" footing because of the high water table.
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #20
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,236
Rewards Points: 3,534

Re: Crawlspace Low Point Drain Details Pacific NW


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Depends on the area.

Here our water table is deep, and terrain in mostly hilly. 2 wells at the ranch are both 125'.

Lots of walkouts. Easy to keep dry with proper damp-proofing, and backfill with good quality drain rock, and filter fabric.

I don't envy you guys building where the water table is a couple feet.
yup
If sump pumps were disallowed in the Detroit metro area - well, there would be no basements.

Advertisement

__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drain Hell darr1 General Discussion 13 07-25-2012 09:40 AM
French drain Bill General Discussion 12 09-09-2008 12:01 PM
Looted New Orleans Architectural Details Cole General Discussion 2 06-05-2006 04:25 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?