Couple Of Concrete Patio Questions - Masonry - Contractor Talk

Couple Of Concrete Patio Questions

Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 894

Couple Of Concrete Patio Questions

We have a customer with a house built in 2007. During the closing walkthrough, it was noted that a section of the stamped concrete patio was not acceptable. The builder had that section saw cut, removed and re-poured.

Over the years there has been some movement of the new section. The movement has created a breakage/chip/chunk of concrete (6" x 6") to come loose as well as a gap (about 1/4Ē) between the patio and the house at the expansion joint.

Is there a concern about either of these issues? Steps to be taken?

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Re: Couple Of Concrete Patio Questions

Most likely it's due to settlement.

Advertisement

hdavis (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,906

My first concern would be water control in that area. It isn't clear, but I assume both the original and repair are moving together.

I'd tap all over the deck to see if I get any hollow sounding areas. There may be some that haven't broken yet, or everything may be solidly supported.

1/4" of movement may not be a big deal if it stopped moving. The chunk that broke off could have been due to a spot of poor compaction and settling.
OTOH, these could indicate continuing water control issues in that area and possibly poor compaction.

It's going to take some judgement once You have checked the original and repair over and look at site conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Pro

Ideally I'd get the cracks sealed up, but personally I'm no Superseal. That size crack it's 80% I'd make a mess.
DaVinciRemodel (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Pro

On the chipped/broken area, I have little confidence that it can be repaired to match or look good. The stamped concrete looks like it was sealed with something (itís fairly shiny). If we decide to just remove the pieces, should this area be sealed with something?

If Iím wrong and someone thinks it can be repaired (with good aesthetic results), whatís the scope/process/product for the repair?

Note: the chipped area is partially under cover. It does get blowing rain and snow.

On the separation area, should I simply get a tube of Big Stretch and caulk it to prevent any more water from getting in? Note: This area is not protected from the elements in any fashion.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Pro

You'd need someone better at matching than I am at matching to answer the chipped out area question, I couldn't do it.

Do not use big stretch...

I've dealt with cracks like that 2 different ways. One is to route the slab and make it a control joint. Put in backer and finish it off with a pourable urethane.

The other way is use a diamond blade to cut the crack wider so it can be caulked. I use a circ saw with diamond blade and guide to get a straight cut. I'll put in a string backer, since the usual backer rod is too large. Caulk with Sikkens product.

Curved cracks you're using an angle grinder and diamond blade.

Like I said, Superseal's work is way better than mine, I'd recommend contacting him.

Either way, mask off areas you don't want the product to stain.
DaVinciRemodel (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,930

Was probably sealed with this stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-5-...EUC5/203075969
Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,894

A while back Super Seal ran a thread where he did a fantastic job repairing cracks in his garage floor. He ground them out,drilled holes and installed bent re bar cramps. The repair was flawless,check it out,believe it was last year.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,044

you may be trying to put a band aid on a tourniquet...

if the original subgrade was not placed properly seems like you could be chasing cracks forever.
DaVinciRemodel (06-18-2019), j_sims (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,826

Looks like the replaced section was cut out in ashlar pattern to match the stamped design...always risky using cold joints @ right angles with inevitable movement of the sub base through erosion, settlement, freeze/thaw etc...

I'd continue to monitor it and at least fill cracks with a urethane or colored epoxy and the seam along the house apply backer rod and caulk with a good quality polyurethane sealant. If that 6"x6" area is too loose you could remove it, set dowels and patch with a stamped color match close as possible being key.

And by the way thanks for the kind words and remembrance of a past thread of mine on the garage floor...still looking good I must say and just this weekend fitted her with a new door to replace the original 1942 two panel wood door.
Attached Thumbnails
Couple of concrete patio questions-img_9194-1-.jpg   Couple of concrete patio questions-img_9221.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/

Last edited by superseal; 06-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
fjn (06-18-2019), hdavis (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 453

I wonder if the water from the saw undermined the base a bit, causing the crack. Id say some kind of pookie is the best option now. Always looks like a band-aid.....
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang View Post
I wonder if the water from the saw undermined the base a bit, causing the crack. Id say some kind of pookie is the best option now. Always looks like a band-aid.....
What exactly is a "pookie"?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 453

Sackrete has a concrete crack filler Dap has one also. Not sure about the color match......
Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,713

Use a 12-14" concrete diamond saw to widen the cut around the old replaced piece, drill,install 2-3 3/8" x 4" expansion bolts to lift chain, remove, epoxy pieces together, add 0.25 " fill sand, replace and caulk joints with matching color. punch out bolts, replace with matched cement paste.

Paranoid could install 3-4" x 3/8" stainless steel rods drilled into adjacent concrete, slots cut into the bottom side of the loose piece to match top of rods embedded into original patio crete.

Cut out top 0.5-.75" of Expansion Joint material, replace with "Sonogrout" type caulking on door issue.

12 years, long past all reasonable warrantied repairs, IMO
Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Use a 12-14" concrete diamond saw to widen the cut around the old replaced piece, drill,install 2-3 3/8" x 4" expansion bolts to lift chain, remove, epoxy pieces together, add 0.25 " fill sand, replace and caulk joints with matching color. punch out bolts, replace with matched cement paste.

Paranoid could install 3-4" x 3/8" stainless steel rods drilled into adjacent concrete, slots cut into the bottom side of the loose piece to match top of rods embedded into original patio crete.

Cut out top 0.5-.75" of Expansion Joint material, replace with "Sonogrout" type caulking on door issue.

12 years, long past all reasonable warrantied repairs, IMO
Pete, that explanation lost me in the first paragraph. And if Iím paranoid, itís only because everyone is out to get me.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,713

Saw perimeter crack around old patch wider, lift with pins and chain, or expansion bolts, glue up pieces, replace on added sand........
DaVinciRemodel (06-19-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #17

Trade: mason

i have a customer who continues to carry on about adding just a water based charcol top color to existing concrete....ive never seen a product.....just add color pigmemt mix, water, then spray on? i told him it would wash off so he said seal it....?

Advertisement